The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Paul Green's Card Warp Finale (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Paul Green was kind enough to send me a copy of this DVD on the sole condition that I post an honest review here; emphasis on honest.

I popped the DVD into my computer and had a gander. Overall, I really liked what I saw.

The DVD has background on Card Warp, Paul's complete presentation (with two live demos), a full explanation of the effect, including a full explanation of the finale.

If you already perform Card Warp, you'll get a great finale, and lots of useful bits of business during the performance, whether you choose to use all of Paul's handling or not. If you don't perform Card Warp, this DVD will teach you the complete handling. Paul's an excellent entertainer, and you'll benefit from this either way. I plan to add the finale to my routine, and include one other bit in the middle.

That said, there are certain parts of the routine I won't adopt. Paul does the dirty work (for those of you who don't already perform Card Warp, there is some dirty work), on the fly, which I would never do. Indeed, in the second live demo, one of the audience members peers at (well, behind, actually) Paul suspiciously. She's clearly not sure what's been done, but she suspects that something's been done; I wouldn't even want that vague suspicion in my audience. That's a personal preference, and reasonable performers can disagree.

There's also a subtle typo in the cover endorsements. Kozmomagic proofreaders missed that one.

Finally, I know that there's another thread from 2008 reviewing this DVD. Because of a lot of tangential issues in that thread, I chose to start a new one. If you want to discuss those tangential issues, please do so in that thread, not this one; I'd rather keep this one uncluttered. Thanks.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-08-05 19:57, S2000magician wrote:

...That said, there are certain parts of the routine I won't adopt. Paul does the dirty work (for those of you who don't already perform Card Warp, there is some dirty work), on the fly, which I would never do. Indeed, in the second live demo, one of the audience members peers at (well, behind, actually) Paul suspiciously. She's clearly not sure what's been done, but she suspects that something's been done; I wouldn't even want that vague suspicion in my audience. That's a personal preference, and reasonable performers can disagree.

I just popped the DVD in and I don't see the gal peering behind him suspiciously. Paul's hands come back into view with the card and then she turns her head while laughing ( a very common mannerism at formal gatherings ). Watch it again to see her head not look behind him, but she keeps turning. Please watch it again closely.

I quite like that the two cards are shown and the dirty work done on the fly. I've adopted this at I think it makes the effect stronger. The ending I prefer is Gerard's "Stapled Warp" from the True Astonishment set.

Paul's DVD is wonderful with 2 live performances. Paul Green is one of my all time favorite performers and to watch him perform and teach one of my all time favorite card effects makes this, for me, a fantastic DVD.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-08-05 22:54, Review King wrote:
I just popped the DVD in and I don't see the gal peering behind him suspiciously. Paul's hands come back into view with the card and then she turns her head while laughing (a very common mannerism at formal gatherings). Watch it again to see her head not look behind him, but she keeps turning. Please watch it again closely.

I did, and it still looks to me as if she's peering behind Paul.

However, it's a moot point. The routine's the point, and it's excellent.

Quote:
On 2010-08-05 22:54, Review King wrote:
I quite like that the two cards are shown and the dirty work done on the fly. I've adopted this at I think it makes the effect stronger.

And that, as they say, is why there are horse races.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Paul Green's Card Warp Finale (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL