The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » John Carney on Letterman. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=carn......goVigINo

Simply wonderful.
What more can I add?
"But there isn't a door"
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Thanks for sharing that tom, very nice

Don
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
686 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Really nice, such a contrast against Bob Read's manic take on it. Also, very tasteful edit. Whoever was manning the boards really understands magic. I was expecting Dave to split the coconut and find the Glass and Orange inside of it.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Presumably the two edits to hide flashing were not provided by late show producers... correct?

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Thomas...I'll tell you another secret. Houdini hid LOCKPICKS so he could do his escapes easily! I know, hard to believe, right? Why would a magician make himself look good in front of a huge audience??
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 00:06, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Presumably the two edits to hide flashing were not provided by late show producers... correct?

TW

That would be my guess.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I saw the routine performed live, last week. It's obvious that the routine had to be modified considerably, in order to perform it in that chair, beside Dave's desk. The routine was perfectly smooth on Friday afternoon, when Carney performed it while standing.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I've seen it at the Castle and it's truly a work of art. John is a brilliant performer - probably my favorite.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 01:51, Jeff Haas wrote:
Thomas...I'll tell you another secret. Houdini hid LOCKPICKS so he could do his escapes easily! I know, hard to believe, right? Why would a magician make himself look good in front of a huge audience??

Thanks Jeff! Sarcasm noted.

Hey, I'll share a little secret with you... no guest on The Late Show has final edit under any circumstances. So clearly the edits were done by Carney (or friends thereof) - which was my point.

I do have to say though if I were doing the edits I would have tried to make them a little less obvious. A good portion of that "huge audience" you refer to (YouTube viewers) are reasonably sophisticated when it comes to amateur-quality camera tricks. Just saying...

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have to agree that the edits could be smoother. I didn't notice them the first time through, but I wasn't really looking for them. Once they were mentioned, the first one was quite noticeable. The second was a bit less obvious to me.

But those are the risks one runs when working on live TV.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It makes me hesitant to post videos of my routines, especially something like the cups and balls...knowing how I watch other routines it seems that plenty of people would go back and look for certain things.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Don't let there be anything to see. Seriously.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » John Carney on Letterman. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL