The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tamariz Stack (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
vinkelhaken
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
179 Posts

Profile of vinkelhaken
The title named in the post above shoult be The Three hours (page 65)
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Histed Heisted is a great mental effect using a mem deck.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I can't wait to learn one of Barrie Richardson's 'Any Card At Any Number'.

I have been working on learning the Tamariz stack since this past Sunday, August 28th, 2011. I found that I am mostly using the visual method & a little of the muscular method to learn it.

However I have 7 problem children cards. For some reason I consistently cannot remember these. They are #'s: 17 9H; 23 6H; 25 5D; 29 8D; 38 10H; 34 10S; and 39 AD.

I will continue to work on them & will use the conceptual method Tamariz teaches. Did anyone else have trouble with these? If so how did you improve?
Thanks
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I just made my cheat sheet 'the security method' that I will glue to the back of a joker (page 27 of 'Mnemonica'). The top half makes perfect sense, it is simply the stack from 1 to 52 in stacked order. However I am very confused about what Tamariz has on the bottom half of the joker. See page 28, figure 4 the bottom half with 4 columns of suits, however I cannot understand how the numbers coordinate. Could someone please explain the meaning of this listing?

By the way, I figured out a way to make my cheat sheet on Word so it is printed neatly including actual h, c, s, & d symbols. All you have to do is print it, cut it with scissors, & glue to the back of your joker. If anyone wants a copy, just PM me your email & I will send you the document...
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Tim, have you seen the new "Poker Bingo" advertising cards for the Phoenix Deck?

Take a veeeery close look at it.
;)
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 20:12, Scott Cram wrote:
Tim, have you seen the new "Poker Bingo" advertising cards for the Phoenix Deck?

Take a veeeery close look at it.
;)

I have not seen it yet, I'll have to check it out, thanks!
Louis Lu
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Louis Lu
Try this, I used it when learning the Tamariz stack:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0......lE&hl=en
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I asked this on another thread - but here is my question:

Is there a stack where you don't have to memorize but can use a formula to go from a card to a number (1-52), and vica versa?
Lakewood, Ohio
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Yes, there are several such stacks. Richard Ulrich devised one that looks fairly random. (You can find it in one of the back issues of Steve Bryant's Little Egypt Gazette.) The Si Stebbins stack has formulas for finding the position of any card.

So, is it possible? Yes, certainly. A better question: is it useful? No, probably not. You'll never be able to do it fast enough to do the best memorized deck tricks.

It's very likely that you have the mental capacity to memorize a stack. Pick one and do it. You can become proficient with a stack more quickly than you might imagine at first.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Louis Lu
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Louis Lu
Richard Osterlind's Memorized Breakthrough Card System has calculations to go from card to number and vice versa.

But ultimately, like BarryFernelius said, you want to instantly know what card is at what number and vice versa, without needing to do any calculations, and this kind of feature only acts as a crutch for people learning memorized stacks.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I don't know - for what I intend to use it for, I'm going to be pretending to read someone's mind while writing a prediction on a business card. More than enough time to do some mental arithmetic. The mental contortions that I will be going through might just make my mind reading face more convincing...

But thanks for the great references!
Lakewood, Ohio
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

If that's how you plan to use it, why not just put a crib sheet inside your business card case?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Could do - just would be cool to do it in your head via a simple formula. After some more googleing it appears one doesn't exist. BTW downloaded Osterlind's breakthru stack and it doesn't meet my criteria either...
Lakewood, Ohio
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-31 12:41, j100taylor wrote:
After some more googleing it appears one doesn't exist.

That made me laugh out loud. Just because Google didn't find it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Google isn't some kind of god-like oracle!

In fact, most of the really interesting things that I know can't be discovered or understood using Google.

-Leonard Bernstein
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 12:55, BarryFernelius wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 12:41, j100taylor wrote:
After some more googleing it appears one doesn't exist.

That made me laugh out loud. Just because Google didn't find it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Google isn't some kind of god-like oracle!

In fact, most of the really interesting things that I know can't be discovered or understood using Google.

Another google search proved you wrong...
Lakewood, Ohio
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 11:21, j100taylor wrote:
I don't know - for what I intend to use it for, I'm going to be pretending to read someone's mind while writing a prediction on a business card. More than enough time to do some mental arithmetic. The mental contortions that I will be going through might just make my mind reading face more convincing...

But thanks for the great references!

What about Stay Stack?
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I want to be able to take say the five of hearts = some formula = 27th down

or the other way 35th down = some formula = 6 of spades...
Lakewood, Ohio
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 17:04, j100taylor wrote:

Let me disclaim I am just starting out learning Mnemonica (and having a blast learning it), but from what you describe, it sounds like you can easily accomplish this by memorizing Mnemonica or one of the other stacks. Tamariz teaches about 4 or 5 different methods to memorizing it & one is sure to fit your learning style: auditory, visual, muscular, conceptual, & a fail safe method.

Tamariz says it can be learned in one afternoon, although it took me about three days. Still, three days isn't very long at all.

Good luck & I hope you find a solution soon. I know how it feels to be on a wild goose chase to try and find that one method/gimmick/prop to do an effect and it seems it does not exist. The peculiar requests & problems of a magician are sometimes very difficult to solve.
Louis Lu
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Louis Lu
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 17:04, j100taylor wrote:

If you can't find an existing stack, why not create your own?
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I may try but its harder than you think. I could use suggestion above and have the stack printed on one of my business cards and peak as I am writing prediction.
Lakewood, Ohio
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tamariz Stack (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL