The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Macdonald's Aces... (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Oh, by the way, just to let you know...David Copperfield's staff DOES read this board. That's how they contacted me and warned me. Just TALKING about his methods (not exposing them, mind you), can get me sued.

They were very specific. Not a road I want to go down...

Doug
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Cool, I'm friends with both Chris and Homer. They know how to get a hold of me.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-08-11 12:19, Dougini wrote:
Oh, by the way, just to let you know...David Copperfield's staff DOES read this board. That's how they contacted me and warned me. Just TALKING about his methods (not exposing them, mind you), can get me sued.

They were very specific. Not a road I want to go down...

Doug

He's got a bunch of people assigned to do nothing but read the magic Café? I'm floored!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Well, two people who work for him are members of the forum. On topic, though, and pardon my ignorance, but is there a difference between MacDonald's Aces and the Ace Assembly plot?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
MacDonald's Aces IS an ace assembly. It's just one of the most popular versions using gaffed cards. Other popular versions would be Vernon's Slow Motion Aces, Jazz Aces, Camirand Academy's Dream of Aces and David Regal's new Streamlined Red Convertible. Ricky Jay's well known Exclusive Coterie, with the script from Erdnase is also an assembly, although he uses Queens instead of Aces. They are all Ace Assemblies. And no matter what any advertisement, or post on this forum says, Dream of Aces IS NOT the same trick David Copperfield did on TV.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Also, I just remembered a GREAT trick by Daryl and James Swain in his book 21st Century Card Magic. It's called Shipwrecked and it FINALLY adds a funny story to the assembly plot. Look it up.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-08-31 04:20, pepka wrote:
...And no matter what any advertisement, or post on this forum says, Dream of Aces IS NOT the same trick David Copperfield did on TV.

We agree on this. Totally different.

Doug
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2010-08-31 04:26, pepka wrote:
Also, I just remembered a GREAT trick by Daryl and James Swain in his book 21st Century Card Magic. It's called Shipwrecked and it FINALLY adds a funny story to the assembly plot. Look it up.

Shhhh. I used that in the restaurant the other night. At the time it was published I thought the joke too well known so skipped the effect, but now several years later it seems fresh to most. Not the best assembly for those conditions but I can do the slower stuff for my regulars.Smile

Of course, there's no reason why you can't with a little thought use MacDonald Aces with picture cards and use the same joke, or indeed some of the other assemblies out there.

Paul.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Hey Paul,
I forgot to tell you, I was at your restaurant a few months ago. Saturday morning, just passing through. Nice place, GREAT breakfasts!
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Hey guys, I have a question about the use of the gaffed MacDonald's Aces - how would you transition back into using a regular deck after you've finished the routine?
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
SmaltrabTheAverage
View Profile
New user
Waiting for a positive comment from Pegasus for
60 Posts

Profile of SmaltrabTheAverage
Hi guys, sorry to bring up this old thread, but I used to do a McDonald Aces routine years ago, with 3 double sided aces a regular ace, and four regular aces too, but I cannot think for the life of me whose lecture it was that I attended. I have a feeling it may have been John Archer who gave the lecture, as I know he was there but it was around 9 years ago.

Does anyone know which routine this may be? Any other workable McDonald ace routine would be great if you can point me in the right direction.

Cheers!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You might want to check out "McFiki's Jumbo Aces" in The Wizards' Journal #23. Based on Jon W. "One-arm Mac" McDonald's $100 Ace trick from the 1950's, Qua-Fiki's version, inspired by John Guastaferro's Famous Aces has JUMBO aces vanishing and reappearing right from and to the hands of the spectators holding the cards. The routine can be performed as a stand-up stage or platform effect using no table, or using just one table or music stand to initially hold the cards until you load up the hands of the spectators. Although he describers the routine using Jumbo Cards, it can also be done with regular size playing cards.
SmaltrabTheAverage
View Profile
New user
Waiting for a positive comment from Pegasus for
60 Posts

Profile of SmaltrabTheAverage
That sounds great, thank you Jim.
I'm looking at doing some cabaret/stage presentations at the end of strolling, so this may work well.

Cheers!
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2010, Vlad_77 wrote:
The MacDonald Aces plot goes back quite a few years. There are gaffed and non-gaffed versions. Grandpa's Aces is a member of this plot family. Your assertion of Copperfield's approach is only partly correct. Just because something is "gaffed" does not mean there is no sleight of hand involved.

I perform two versions of this effect at present:

Frier by Cameron Francis which is gaffed and uses sleights, and Under Her Spell by Simon Aronson which is NOT gaffed and uses sleights.

GENERALLY speaking, gaffs do not eliminate sleight of hand but they DO enhance an effect and allow for effects either not possible or unnecessarily difficult in methodology. Remember Theo. Annemann's maxim that EFFECT is everything. Don't get hung up on the strange notion that pure sleight of hand is the "better" magic. Maximum impact achieved by the most EFFICIENT method is what marks a great effect. So, Darwin Ortiz's "The Sting" is pure unadulterated sleight of hand and employs efficient means to achieve maximum effect. Lorayne's HaLo Aces is the same. Conversely, Harry Anderson's "Shadow Card" uses a very old gaff that achieves a very strong impact as well. Another class (in magic) is "self-working" effects that use neither sleights nor gaffs. Untouched by Daryl Easton (based upon a Tony Faro effect), Impossible by Simon Aronson, and Out of This World by Paul Curry are just three examples out of hundreds of strong effects that rely purely on subtlety for method.

Memdecks are yet ANOTHER method. These effects run the gamut of knucklebusting sleights to no sleights at all.

But, in ALL cases, ALL magic depends ultimately on ONE principle: the psychological reality that the magic actually happens in the spectator's MIND.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Awesome as always Smile
I Love You God Smile
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, MagicKingdom10 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2010, Vlad_77 wrote:
The MacDonald Aces plot goes back quite a few years. There are gaffed and non-gaffed versions. Grandpa's Aces is a member of this plot family. Your assertion of Copperfield's approach is only partly correct. Just because something is "gaffed" does not mean there is no sleight of hand involved.

I perform two versions of this effect at present:

Frier by Cameron Francis which is gaffed and uses sleights, and Under Her Spell by Simon Aronson which is NOT gaffed and uses sleights.

GENERALLY speaking, gaffs do not eliminate sleight of hand but they DO enhance an effect and allow for effects either not possible or unnecessarily difficult in methodology. Remember Theo. Annemann's maxim that EFFECT is everything. Don't get hung up on the strange notion that pure sleight of hand is the "better" magic. Maximum impact achieved by the most EFFICIENT method is what marks a great effect. So, Darwin Ortiz's "The Sting" is pure unadulterated sleight of hand and employs efficient means to achieve maximum effect. Lorayne's HaLo Aces is the same. Conversely, Harry Anderson's "Shadow Card" uses a very old gaff that achieves a very strong impact as well. Another class (in magic) is "self-working" effects that use neither sleights nor gaffs. Untouched by Daryl Easton (based upon a Tony Faro effect), Impossible by Simon Aronson, and Out of This World by Paul Curry are just three examples out of hundreds of strong effects that rely purely on subtlety for method.

Memdecks are yet ANOTHER method. These effects run the gamut of knucklebusting sleights to no sleights at all.

But, in ALL cases, ALL magic depends ultimately on ONE principle: the psychological reality that the magic actually happens in the spectator's MIND.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Awesome as always Smile

Thanks MagicKingdom, but in reading over that post, I saw a HUGE mistake! AAARRGGGH. "Impossible" is by Larry Jennings, not Simon Aronson. But since I am ALSO a huge Simon Aronson fan who is aching for his new book Art Decko, a great Simon Aronson effect (truth be told, I never met a Simon Aronson routine I didn't like) is Prior Commitment which is the very first routine in Try the Impossible. It begins a chapter devoted to a really diabolical principle that IMHO still hasn't been thoroughly explored.
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
I currently perform both Macdonalds Aces and Aces in their faces.

Does anybody know any good resources for for a collection of Macdonalds Aces Vanishes. I currently use several variations of sleight and non sleight vanishes that I have gleaned from various sources "Worlds Greatest Magic", "Aces in their faces" (Variations), Fun Inc DVD (Macdonalds Aces etc) and some which I have invented myself.

I was just wondering if their is good resource or collection of different types of vanishes.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Two great vanishes are in Frank Garcia's book "SuperSubtleCard Miracles". They are the Super S Vanish and the Bob Elliot's Vanish. Both are very convincing.
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
J Christensen,

Thanks for the suggestion I will take a look at the Frank Garcia book. I am currently revisiting my Mac Aces routine.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It's hard to believe a teen-ager could improve on old "One Arm Mac's" $100 Ace trick, but I think Qua-Fiki has made a significant improvement by eliminating the random cards that hide the Aces amid confusing piles of cards. Instead, he makes sure you know and remember the three cards piled on top of each ace, and then has the ace completely disappear, rather than just turn into some random card in the crowd. His work is called "Mc-Fiki's Jumbo Aces" and is found in The Wizards' Journal #23. There's an imperfect video (because I have to play all four spectators who get to hold and handle all the cards) but if you can overlook the fat man and imagine it being performed with four real spectators, you can see why I think it's such a knock-out version of the trick.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Well, this got necroed, so why not add this here:

Lance Pierce: https://vimeo.com/60859878

Save for the add-on at the end, I consider this handling to be near perfect. (I swap one of his swaps for an EC version. Still debating the merits of that.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Macdonald's Aces... (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL