The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Not philosophical, but 'certainly' a pet peeve ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
When I went to grammar school the nuns used to tell us that a kid was a baby goat. Lots of years later I find myself doing kid's magic for a living, English is a living language. My mother, and father would not know what a blog is.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Neither do I. I'm glad Vlad brought this up. It boggles my mind how one can spend a lifetime studying sleights and somehow think they're called slights. To me its like a grandmaster of chess not knowing what the pieces are called.
Rodney

Posted: Aug 24, 2010 12:26am
While I'm on peeves, here's another. I hear a lot about English being a living language and that the rules needn't be enforced- nonsense.
Brazilians speak Portuguese. Ask someone from Portugal if it's spoken properly. Ask a Frenchman if the Quebecers can speak French. Ask a Spaniard if the South American majority have mastered their language, and finally ask an Englishman if North Americans have a clue. The truth is, we don't.

This beautiful language is often butchered here and with countless excuses. Listen to a seven year old English child speak. It is wonderful. Their command of it is masterful from the aristocracy to the commoners- such vocabulary. Why? Because it's theirs. English is English. Rather than make excuses and have our students continually fail basic literacy tests, let's strive to give it the respect and attention to detail it deserves. There is nothing more moving, more earth-shattering, more powerful, than words.
Sincerely, Rodney
Enzo
View Profile
Loyal user
CA
243 Posts

Profile of Enzo
Quote:
Yeah, I'm an old fart -- but I am often in a position to decide who gets hired and who doesn't --and the managers I help train will care also. I am glad for this thread -- now I am going to add "writing a descriptive paragraph with proper grammar" to the list of job qualifications. If an applicant doesn't care enough to learn how to use English properly, why would I assume he will care about my customers?


I'm somewhat of a stickler myself when it comes to proper spelling and grammar and I agree with your argument, but only if the bad writing comes from a lack of care or respect. Please don't ignore the possibility that:
1. Your candidate might have grown up abroad and not learned written English in school.
2. Your candidate might be dyslexic (an estimated 5 to 17% of the population is).

Don't just assume people are stupid because they make spelling mistakes.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2010-08-12 08:53, funsway wrote:
"Not everyone else cares." Now there is a fair statement of what is happening to our culture. Not everyone cares about communicating ideas effectively. Not everyone cares about being at work on time. Not everyone cares about the destruction of the middle class. Not everyone cares about the environment.

This is just another way of saying, "if it's not in my immediate self interest I don't want to get involved." That's not "ego" -- it's "selfishness." Humanity has reached its heights of knowledge, compassion and innovation of "caring" to make things better. What is gained by just "getting by" and reducing things to the lowest common denominator?

Everywhere is a "place for strict enforcement of linguistics" -- and integrity, and accountability. Does it matter? On the employment front business owners can be picky. Given a choice between employess who "care" and those who do not, the choice will be easy. Those who can demonstrate a caring attitude will get the best jobs -- and effective communication is one test. Of course, proper grammar only matters to those who have an idea worth sharing to an audience who "cares."

Today's high school graduate can't do simple math, can't find his home town on a map and can't construct a written paragraph in his native language. It's no wonder why jobs are being exported overseas. Nobody cares!

Yeah, I'm an old fart -- but I am often in a position to decide who gets hired and who doesn't --and the managers I help train will care also. I am glad for this thread -- now I am going to add "writing a descriptive paragraph with proper grammar" to the list of job qualifications. If an applicant doesn't care enough to learn how to use English properly, why would I assume he will care about my customers?

Have a "peevish" day.


You might want to take some courses in reading. Your ability to post is spot on, but you didn't actually comprehend a word of mine that you "read" and quoted.

This post should be entitled:
"How Writing Errors are Causing the Devolution in Society, and Look at How Awesome I Am."


That's one heck of a leap you took there, I think you misjudged the distance.






This is one of the reasons I really need to stay away from these boards... So many of these kinds of posts are nothing more than self aggrandizing tripe. No value to anyone other than shining ones own little spot in Internet insignificance.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Enzo
View Profile
Loyal user
CA
243 Posts

Profile of Enzo
Quote:
I really need to stay away from these boards...

No you don't. The only thing you need to stay away from is the enter key ;-)
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 15:53, Enzo wrote:
Quote:
I really need to stay away from these boards...

No you don't. The only thing you need to stay away from is the enter key ;-)


That is true.

I first entered the Internet world because I wanted to find other magicians. I got the Internet and a computer for that singular reason.
This is the hate I found when I found them, this is the hate "magicians" offer to the new magicians that go looking for them.


I shouldn't hit enter, in fact I shouldn't even read any of this. I just feel sorry for the poor new magician that comes here for help (Like I did) who will end up as jaded as I am.
I have the hope that some "magicians" out there will understand the concept of empathy.

I am wrong of course.
In fact, I have no idea why I'm bothering to hit enter now.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
"The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning."
- Letter to George Bainton

:) You just have to love Twain.
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Oh stop crying, put a quarter in juke box.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Enzo
View Profile
Loyal user
CA
243 Posts

Profile of Enzo
Josh, I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. I was actually just (jokingly) referring to the fact that you tend to leave large spaces between paragraphs in your posts. I usually click "Submit Reply" to post on the forum. I don't think the "enter key" actually does this, but I see how the misunderstanding came about. Sorry.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 08:17, Clark wrote:
"The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning."
- Letter to George Bainton

:) You just have to love Twain.


Clemens? The Saxophone player can write?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
Yes JT, Mark Twain.
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 16:13, Clark wrote:
Yes JT, Mark Twain.


Surely not another of that English mathematician's pen names?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
Would you feel better if I refereed to him as Samuel Langhorne Clemens?
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 17:47, Clark wrote:
Would you feel better if I refereed to him as Samuel Langhorne Clemens?


Still be a swing and a miss says this referee. But knowing the distinction and pandering to a fiction pleads a different case IMHO.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
I'm going to let this go before I cave in and provide you with a much better example of relentless pandering to a fiction JT.

Thanks for playing referee though....
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-08-27 00:41, Clark wrote:
...before I cave in and provide you with a much better example of relentless pandering to a fiction JT.

Thanks for playing referee though....


From 'refer' to 'referee' was your transformation. By going ad hominem - you lose yet again.

Now if you want some credibility as far as references - would you happen to have a proper citation for the oft cited line about opportunity, preparation and luck?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
Yes "refereed" was my slip, I wasn't trying to give it to you to own Jon. A 15 hour shift followed by typing from an iPhone while headed home takes its toll on my wording, ocassionally. Which is kind of the point of this thread. If such an occassional infraction bothers you, on a magic forum, well, you really need to get out more.

That being said I addressed you PM as I really didn't care to be a part of another thread derailed by stupidity, but then I suppose I'm too late.
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Another peeve: Please don't ask readers to infer too much from your text beyond that you are attempting to add resources or insight to the discussion in the thread.

Nothing on that line that's usually attributed to one of the Senecas? Sigh.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Not philosophical, but 'certainly' a pet peeve ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL