The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Wordpress free hosting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Hi all,
I've been trying to install a wordpress website but I have a problem.
I've been working on so many things lately and my brain is going to explode so I decided to ask you before gong any further.

I've installed the wordpress on my free hosting and I think there is a problem with the memory limits of my hosting,tried to fix it via editing some files,searching the net but couldn't come to a solution and I think I wont bcause the host service is limited.

Can anyone recommend a free web hosting without ads,pop-ups,etc that supports wordpress?

best,
Doruk
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Free services might also have SQL limits, too.

Shared hosting services are not that expensive. I think mine is around $5 per month. Most are around the same.

Plus you get unlimited bandwidth, no ads, popups or other revenue generating junk on which the free sites rely.

Someone might prove me wrong, and I'd love to learn. But the $5 per month has been well spent for me.
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Mine does have MYSQL but like you said I don't know the limits, and really not want to go more in depth to it.

I'd prefer a free one if I can get it for free, if not then I'll need to get one service like you said.
I don't need much bandwith, and I had find no ad,popup,etc free services.
Just don't know which is ok with wordpress,I'm new to it,it will be my first try...
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
I also tried yola, but didn't like the sign in the bottom.
downloadd joomola but not tried it yet.
If anyone offers any more sites which creates html or php sites fast,easy,not complicated and nice,I'd like to hear...
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

I'm a fan of WordPress over the others. Have you tried WordPress.com instead of downloading the install package on the .org site? Just a thought.

The .com site offers everything the .org install does except you don't get your own domain. Instead you get a subdomain like scottsullivan.WordPress.com
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
I did not do it,wasnt aware of it.

When I finalize it trough wordpress.com , can I download it to my computer as it is to upload to my hosting?

otherwise I'll have to forward my domain to there...
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

No, it would only be hosted at <subdomain>.wordpress.com

From what I'm told, you can transfer that to a local install of Wordpress (from the .org download). Though I've never actually tried to do this.

But the short answer is that you'd have to forward from your domain.

I'm still sorry I don't know any free sites that don't have popups/etc for the real wordpress.org install.
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Sounds logical, I believe its possible and should be available too.

I'll try it trough .com first.

If anyone knows a free hosting site,please let us know.
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
And one more question on the fly; how do you add plugins if you are using it trough .com ? Smile
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Working on wordpress trough .com now but I suspect its not possible to upload plugins so it does not mean anything if its like that....
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I have used ALL of the above, each for the most appropriate solution for specific goals and outcomes… Hosting is CHEAP (as little as .99 cents… most “good-ones” are 5.00-10.00 bucks a month for massive space and features!) and one crappy booking will pay for it for an entire year with money left over...

Hey, don’t get me wrong… I am a HUUUUGE fan of “FREEmiums” when appropriate and like I said, I have done (and still do…) some of each for EACH situation and planned goal and outcome.

PLEASE just make SURE you are choosing the right solution for the “planned goal, solution & outcome” and not JUST to save a couple a’ bucks. – Just sayin’!

The Success eMinder is a FREE Wordpress site… forwarded domain name is all.
= http://www.SuccessEminder.com
= http://www.SuccessEminder.WordPress.com
SAME Place… (as one example.)

I have over 30 active sites... some free, some paid, some WP.org, others WP.com, Yola, hosted and others... Just sayin'.

What is your "PLAN" for your business success & resuts?

Dean
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Kellar
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Kellar
There you go with those "questions" again Dean ~0:)

Someone once said to me "It's like a map, track your journey from your desination back to way you are now and look at the all the things you have to pass to get to where you want to be"

The statement may sound off topic, but please read it again.

OH and I should say "Sorry I can't give any technical advice directly as per your inqury!"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2409 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Are you doing a blog? That's all Wordpress is good for. If not, if you just want a personal website, dump Wordpress and use your host's free site-builder (if they don't have one, get your money back and switch to powweb.com) or design it yourself with WYSIWYG software.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Ross, I beg to differ. WordPress offers many advantages, from seo to quick ability to change/update the site, for example.

Check my site:
DigitalBlacksmiths.com

Now check out my newer site (still being tweaked)
NothingUpMySleeves.com

Now tell me if then if you think a blog is all WordPress is good for. Both sites are WordPress, yet a blog is such a small part of it.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Oh I TOTALLY AGREE with SCOTT...

There are soooooooo many more and better reasons to use the 'WordPress' platform and engine as the vehicle to build your online empire than just some site builder... Sooooooooo Many!

= It is way more search-engine friendly! (Already built-in!)
= It’s FREE!
= Thousands of FREE Themes & Templates!
= Thousands more VERY reasonable!
= Super EZ to use, up-date, post, host & deploy!
= Thousands of FREE (and Low Cost) Plug-Ins, Widgets, Tools, Resources!
= One-Click Up-Dates, Changes & Site Management Organization!
= Video Friendly!
= Automatic RSS and Connection Platforms!
= Super EZ & Friendly with Social Media(s)!
…and soooooooooo much more!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Thank you all for the inputs.

I'm not into a blog, I want to build a site,quick and effective. Major advantagee I want to gain from wordpress is SEO.

Has anyone built their site via wordpress.com ? I think its not possible to add plugins and build sites like Scott exampled.

And Dean; I don't need much bandwith (I work niche), and I don't need too much space,just hosting the site is enough for me. Can you reccommend any trustable and cheap hosting? I totally agree with you about saving bucks,I just don't want to spend on some fance features that I don't need at all..
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2409 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I guess we disagree ... you don't find that Wordpress is often unbearably slow for the user to access?
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Doruk, those sites are all CSS and setup as a "theme". As such, they can be imported to WordPress.com, I believe. But as I said, vie not used the .com service since I already have the hosting service.

Wordpress.com has plugins, just like the .org. The main difference is that one is self hosted, the other is hosted on their server.

Ross, did you find my sites slow? When using a caching plugin, it's fine. None of us, no matter how big our egos, will get tens or hundreds of thousands of hits per day.

That said, there are some BIG name sites that run on WordPress.

I'd even go one step further and say that a WSYWIG editor will actually give you worse results because of it's injection of proprietary code. This is why so many sites look great on one browser, but fall apart in Explorer or Firefox or some other browser. The WSYWIG editor doesn't generate CSS or HTML compliant code.

To each his own.
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Well that's what I believe too but I really cannot find how to upload,activate plugins. there is no info or link to follow. Searched a lot...

if anyone knows let us know too.... or I'm looking for the cheap hosting solution that I can trust...
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

I setup an account and it looks like I might have been mistaken regarding the plugins. Regardless, my two sites that I showed don't have any plugins that make the site "work." They are both just CSS and HTML. The only plugins I use are for caching and security, which the .com site takes care of for you anyway.

Just as an FYI, here's my hosting solution. I've been with them for about 6 or 7 years and love them:

http://a2hosting.com

Their startup plan is $3.30 a month. Not too shabby. That's a coffee. I have their "executive" plan which is a whole $2 more.

Plus, they let you have more than one domain on the same account for free (it's called an "add-on domain". I've actually got 9 sites hosted on this one account (at no additional cost), which, when divided by the payment, comes out to something like $1.50 per site per month!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Wordpress free hosting (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL