The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ed Sullivan's Amazing Stars of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
WOW! Just received and viewed the disc. It is fantasic. This should be in every magicians must have and see material. I laughed and was in wonder on much of the material. It is a real learning DVD of material.

Richardi - what him perform his RaZor Blades from mouth!
Gali Gali - great coins across and BILL IN ORANGE!
Phoa - Watch the cut and restored silk from Tarbell the way the orginator performs it!
Kalanag - Fantastic of combining the Chair Suspension with the Floating Lady that goes 20 feet in the air!
Pavel - See some of his classics and watch that even the Pros screw up now and again!
Rene Leveand - Watch is fantastic Close-up from this Legend!
Berrie Lee - Watch the Professor Rope Trick as it should be preformed, very funny!
Tel Smit - Finally got to see his flaming finger tips! Great!
Chop Chop - This legend performed with chickens! Who knew!
Fantasio - Watch an early Fantasio before the sleeves were cut off and his Balloon to Dove Stand. No Fantasio Candles here!
Mac Ronay - The old nothing works comedy of magic.

It would not play on my DVD player but was fine on my computer. 52 minutes that will have you glued to the screne. Love it and will watch it many time. What a great DVD. Finally, I got to live long enough to see what I missed while I was working on Sunday nites.

The things I mentioned is only what I found of high interest to me, there was much more that may be of interest to others.

At only $16.95 total including postage, how can you pass this up? Highly Recommended for everyone that does magic!!
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Where did you get it? Any link?
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Being a Beatles fan, I have a set called The Beatles on Sullivan. In there however is an example of a master performing with complete grace under pressure. Fred Kaps, who we ALL know is one the pantheon of the art had the task of performing on the same bill as The Beatles. The ONLY act that surpassed him in applause WAS The Beatles. Imagine performing in THAT situation. Granted, at the time nobody knew that The Beatles would go on to be the biggest act ever known in show business, but, the HYPE was INSANE already before their American debut. But, Fred Kaps performed flawlessly for an audience there to see an act that had nothing to do with magic. And he WOWED them Smile

Not bad I would say Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oh, sorry, forgot to add the link.

The link is
http://www.sofaentertainment.com/sulliva......188.html

If everyone orders this then maybe they will produce other magic videos only.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I have the one with Kaps on it and when he pulled the rabbit from his cane...I was in shock.. Just great to see one of these legends in a real world performance.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 01:06, shomemagic wrote:
I have the one with Kaps on it and when he pulled the rabbit from his cane...I was in shock.. Just great to see one of these legends in a real world performance.

What are you writing about, this company has not put out any other magic dvd, these DVDs are for the general public as well.

Who has a Fred Kaps DVD of him producing a rabbit?
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I want to see Baron Lavelle aka Larry Jones's appearance on the Sullivan show. He produced cards, cigarettes and goldfish
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
The best magician ever to appear on Sullivan, in fact good enough to follow the Beatles and kill the audience dead, was Fred Kaps, who is sadly omitted from this DVD. What were the producers thinking?
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-08-14 20:04, mumford wrote:
The best magician ever to appear on Sullivan, in fact good enough to follow the Beatles and kill the audience dead, was Fred Kaps, who is sadly omitted from this DVD. What were the producers thinking?

That mystifies me as well! Luckily, I have the performance on "The Beatles on Sullivan" and you are so right Mumford, Kaps did a phenomenal job!! Truth be told, I do not think I could have handled THAT pressure. Fred Kaps deserves his place in the pantheon.

Namaste,
Vlad
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The acts on this DVD is just ramdonly picked by the company. If you want to see more of these DVDs produced, then make a purchase and if enough are sold they will produce more. If the market bombs, then of course why sold the bother to make anything that does not sell. So do your part and support the magic DVDs.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
I believe the Kaps performance was pre-recorded, so he was not physically there with all the girls screaming.

Unfortunately, the comedy team couple was and they talked about how they could not hear each other's lines. Kudos to them for pulling it off!
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I was looking forward to this dvd until it arrived and I watched it. No Jay Marshall, Mr. Electric, Ballantine, Kaps, Johnny Thompson. It's like they picked the worst of Sullivan for this magic collection
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Mark was there even one good performance on the DVD?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-08-24 14:44, markmiller wrote:
I was looking forward to this dvd until it arrived and I watched it. No Jay Marshall, Mr. Electric, Ballantine, Kaps, Johnny Thompson. It's like they picked the worst of Sullivan for this magic collection

The magicians on the DVD are the old masters, the people that laid much of the ground work for magic today.

It also seems your complaint is un-warranted as I listed the 11 acts at the beginning of this thread. So you really knew none of those people you mentioned would be on the video.

It pays to read the post and the sight I sent you to before purchase. The good side is you have only lost $16.00 and you have a video you can learn something from. If you do not see that, I am sorry.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-08-24 16:14, noble1 wrote:
Mark was there even one good performance on the DVD?

It all depends on what your defination of good is, now doesn't it.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
My definition is a routine that holds up by today's standards. Kaps, Jay Marshall, timeless, just as effective today as forty years ago. My opinion the majority on this DVD don't.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I bought the DVD of magicians on the Ed Sullivan show. I was surprised at how poor they all were! I had seen some of them live (Al Weatly as Chop Chop, Richiardi, and Fantasio for example) and I remember their performances being better.

On the Sullivan show they simply stunk to high heaven! I would hate to remember them by those poor performances! I wonder if they simply didn't know how to perform for the camera or if their stage craft was actually that poor!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
So you have a DVD that teached you what not to do, it is still learning.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Exactly, but Kaps, Mr. Electric, Tomsoni, Jay Marshall and other Sullivan guests were great and ahead of their time. Even today, if you see a tape of Cardini or Channing Pollock - way before the Sullivan years - it holds up. Whoever picked these clips didn't know magic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You really should get out more and visit other area of the Café. NO, the people putting out thes DVDs are not magician or know anything about magic.

Levent has contacted them and made some suggerstions for the next DVD. They said they wondered why the sales for this DVD took off. Thanks everyone!

You can read about it from Levent himself.

Here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rt=30#18

Note: Channing Pollock began performing around the 1960's. Mr. Electric was not before Ed Sullivan, either, I believe. Ed Sullivan's show was running way before these 2 performers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ed Sullivan's Amazing Stars of Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL