The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Kids upset because they didn't get a wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Hi all,
I performed a show recently and did BOR (rising wand, $5) after the show. As always, I offer something free for everyone (autographed coloring page). I have done BOR at many events and for the first time, some of the kids cried because their parents wouldn't or couldn't get a wand. How can I prevent this in the future?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
First, of all, kids need to learn that this is simply reality. Too many are being raised in this "entitlement" generation -- "he's got one, so I should have one too! It's my right!" So, if kids are crying because mommy won't buy them a wand, you are not the bad guy. Mommy probably isn't either, but she's the one who's going to have to deal with the kid, not you.

Secondly, the few times that this has happened to me, I always explain to the kids that they can use anything for a magic wand (pencil, stick, crayon, magic coin, woofle dust, etc.). Then I show them a simple trick (coin vanish) using a pencil. This usually works.

Of course, I always tell them that the real key is not in the stick they use, but it's in the trick itself. And in order to learn the magic tricks, they are going to have to buy my $10 magic book! Smile (Just kidding).

BTW, for those who cry because they can't buy my books, I tell them they can get magic books for free at their library.

Works for me (and makes the librarians happy).

Brian

PS. Occasionally, I'll ask the parents of one or two of these kids to stick around until I'm done the BOR. Then I'll get the kids to help me carry something to the door, or to pack something up, after which I'll give them a wand or book for helping me out. I do this for those parents who would love to buy something for their child, but I sense that they are simply not able to do so. They always appreciate it, and it puts a smile on a child's face.
EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1104 Posts

Profile of EventEntertainer
Do you have a kid's club? What if you mentioned they could get a free trick for signing up? A win/win!
Consultant, performer, creator, and all around nice guy!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As always - Great advice, Brian!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Thanks for the advice guys. I had 2 more events this week and BOR went fine as usual. The Kids Club is a great idea.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
737 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I am currently organizing a kids club...

I love the idea of a free magic trick for joining..
I am also looking at giving away a magic kit once a month to whoever gives the best party tip in my comments on specific posts..
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1549 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Tell the parents to get a higher-paying job.
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
Had this happened to me today. The mom bought one wand for 2 kids to share, but one of them didn't want to share, so she started crying. I gave the 2nd child a wand for free.

About three weeks ago at a library a similar thing happened. A child wanted a wand, but the mom didn't have any money on her. I also gave a wand away to that child for free.

I sell my wands for $5/each and they cost me about $1. For $1, I can guarantee that both those mom's will remember my name. Cheap advertising. Plus it made me feel good.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not suggesting that anyone should start giving all of their wands away for free. But in the right situation, a kind gesture can be considered a marketing expense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Kids upset because they didn't get a wand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL