The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Indian Independence Day/Mismade Flag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
Quote:
On 2010-08-13 16:23, MagicSanta wrote:
Do you invite the confederates to attend these multicultural events? Is it the Confederate flag or the Confederate Battle Flag that causes such discord?

The Confederate flag was slightly off topic. I was speaking more about the American flag. I don't think I phrased things well.

But in any event, here was the flag I was referring to - http://www.confederatemercantile.com/confederate_flag.jpg
c.mcbrien
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
52 Posts

Profile of c.mcbrien
..and that's why they call it "Canada Dry".....
"Drama and ego are great for the stage, but when I'm off the stage, I drop all that crap..and don't put up with any!"

http://www.chrismcbrien.com
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
Quote:
On 2010-08-13 18:53, c.mcbrien wrote:
..and that's why they call it "Canada Dry".....

Oh, I wouldn't say it was dry. Actually, I live by a large lake. I think that's reasonably wet considering it's a large body of water.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That would be a battle flag.

I went to see the wife and she was on the phone with her old coworker who is Indian. I asked about the flag and coming from the wife and her friends perspective, and this is ONLY theirs I'm not speaking nor are they for the fellows customers, the flag is very important to them and what it represents and she, the friend, didn't even like the idea of a trick being done with it.
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
Quote:
On 2010-08-13 21:24, MagicSanta wrote:
That would be a battle flag.

Thank you, MagicSanta. I wasn't actually aware that there was a difference. Then again, I haven't studied American history yet. Although, that will happen once I get through my first year of my history degree. That will happen in time. Although, I have studied intercultural communications for business.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Most people don't know it is a battle flag, it is the one you most often see. The origian national flag of the confederacy is three stripes, top red, middle white, bottom red, with an ensign in the upper left hand corner like the US flag with a circle of stars representing the states, kind of like our original flag. The last one was a white flag with with the stars and bars in the upper left.
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
Quote:
On 2010-08-13 22:15, MagicSanta wrote:
Most people don't know it is a battle flag, it is the one you most often see. The origian national flag of the confederacy is three stripes, top red, middle white, bottom red, with an ensign in the upper left hand corner like the US flag with a circle of stars representing the states, kind of like our original flag. The last one was a white flag with with the stars and bars in the upper left.

I always thought that was the original flag. I'm glad you're telling me this now. It would be rather silly of me to be walking around with these misconceptions. Thank you for telling me this.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well...as I said most don't know it and you not knowing wouldn't have effected your life, but now you will seem cool when you do run into someone with a confederate flag. When I was a kid in Georgia if we found Civil War stuff and turned it into the museum we would be let in and thus I saw lots of flags, uniforms, and saws.
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
Quote:
On 2010-08-13 22:52, MagicSanta wrote:
Well...as I said most don't know it and you not knowing wouldn't have effected your life, but now you will seem cool when you do run into someone with a confederate flag. When I was a kid in Georgia if we found Civil War stuff and turned it into the museum we would be let in and thus I saw lots of flags, uniforms, and saws.

That sounds amazing! It must have been quite an experiance! I've donated a rare computer to a museaum once (I actually bought if for a dollar at a local campus sale). The museaum never really did that for me.

What museaum what it, by the way?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't recall the name but it is in Stone Mountain Park in Georgia. They also have or had a huge set up with lights that showed troop movements through the war that we would get to see.
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Okay. Here’s what I did. I purchased a flag of India at Alamo Flags. It’s orange (saffron) white and green with an insignia on the white. I had three 12 silks in orange, green and white. I also downloaded the national anthem of India on iTunes. There are several versions; I went with an instrumental.

At the end of the one-year birthday celebration show, I mentioned that today was a special day in India’s history and asked if anyone knew what day it was. A boy answered that it was Independence Day.

Then I did a little British bashing (sorry to my British friends) noting that India got its independence from who? (One child answered Gandhi.) After we established that it was the British, I noted that the United States also got its independence from the British. And Israel got its independence from the British. And Hong Kong got its independence from the British. So, should we make a British flag? (Some kids yelled “no.”) Should we make a flag of India? (Some kids yelled yes.)

I invited three children—one boy, two girls—to help me. I put the boy on my left, the girls on my right. I used a three-way change bag.

I pulled the inside of the bag out to show it empty and gave the boy the orange silk and had him drop it into the bag. Standard gag of the silk falling through the unzipped bag. Meanwhile, I turned away from the boy and had the girl put the green silk in the bag. Of course, it stayed. By then the kids are screaming that the orange silk fell through, so the kid put it back in the bag. It fell through again and again I turned to a girl and had her put in the white silk. Then once more with the boy, and the silk falling through. Finally we got it all zipped up and the silk stayed in the bag. Then I got everyone in the room, kids and adults to say the magic words and the kids pulled the India flag from the bag. As they did this, I hit the sound control switch and the India National Anthem played. All the adults rose to their feet for the anthem and then applauded at the end.

End of show.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
That sounds amazing! I liked how you tied in a historical and educational context in to mismade flag. That sounds like it went over extremely well.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Good, respectful, doesn't show the flag in partial shape like mismade does. The only thing better would if you had a piper come in and then shot him in the head...that would'a rocked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Indian Independence Day/Mismade Flag (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL