The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Ahoy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

samuwel
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of samuwel
Hey there guys.

Been lurking for a while but thought I'd take the plunge and sign up and post.

I've been interested in magic for a long while but have only really gotten round to truly learning.

I've had the benefits of being able to watch a true professional (Matthew Dowden) work on a regular basis at my current job as a waiter, and am hoping to procure myself some restaurant work to help pay the uni fees!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hi samuwel,

You are starting down a long path. If you are truly just beginning and know no Magic at all it could be years before you would be able to do enough Magic well enough to do Table Hopping at a restaurant.

It's like someone who enjoys music deciding they should start practicing the guitar because they could use the money they'll make from the gigs (I don't know what uni fees are). That kind of thought is premature. Thinking about the money you could make (aside from being a distinctly non-magical approach) is almost laughable. Magic is an expensive hobby for most of us and only a few ever make any money from its enjoyment.

Give yourself a few years to develop a love for the craft (and a repertoire) before you think about the money. Magic really is a wonderful pursuit. The ability to bring wonder to others is a gift that I cherish.

Do try to find a local Magic Club or a Magic Shop in your area. Online is fine but a real beginner is better off with some live contact with real Magicians whenever possible.

Good luck samuwel,

- Mary Mowder
samuwel
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of samuwel
Sorry, I probably should have been clearer with my post, reading it back, I come accross as a tad naive.

magic is very definitely a hobby for me (incidentally, your guitar reference was quite apt, I play guitar but am aware that I will never make money from it), the real reason for wanting to do some table-hopping is to get more experience with real spectators rather than just my family, work collegues and friends (they're getting rather frustrated with me asking to try out new effects on them). I can't lie though, some regular(ish) income, no matter how little, from doing something I love would be nice.

My repertoire at the moment consists almost exclusively of card effects. Things which I'd consider to be of a decent standard, not really a beginner, things like TNR (the Reformation...not sure how suitable this is for table hopping, but I'd be keen to find out), my own ACR with card under watch ending, Greg Wilsons Heavyweight boxing among many others, but I'm at the point with these where I can comfortably do the moves of each effect, but the presentations are in need of polishing and the only way I can think of doing this is to get in front of an audience who will react like laymen, and who better for that than a lay audience?

Sam
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Ahoy Sam!

Mind the rigging on the gunwales!!! Hold fast!

The Reformation is an excellent table hopping effect. Nice to see that you want to focus on non-magician audiences!! Fooling the denizens of one's magic club is like kissing a Yak. Blech.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm very happy to read that I misunderstood you.

More practice before trying it on your beta testers may be needed.

Get more non-card effects. I love 'em too but you really need something to break it up. Some card effects like The Reformation or Card Warp help break it up a little but try a couple of Rubber band effects and certainly a $bill effect or two.

You're right, performing for lay people is more fun and more constructive.

- Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Ahoy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL