The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oujija Board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Has anyone "played" with the Ouija Board before? I always wanted to own one but has heard a lot of bad stories.

The Chinese has a version of it using a small saucer with a arrow marked on the bottom of the saucer as a indicator. It is called the "Saucer God" (loosely translated). Incense is burnt while moving the saucer.

What are your views of the Ouija board? Did anything unusual happen to you? Thanks. Smile Smile
Bernard Sim
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
I played with it once in high school at a party. The girl I was partnered with ended up kissing me later.

That was pretty cool.

:coffee:
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
The Ouija Board comes in several forms today. See any of the New Age catalogs for a variety. I have done mindreading demonstrations with it, for a ESP/Paranormal aclass taught by one of my friends. He does a PK effect with it.

Does it really work? Like your cup (of which I had not heard and would like more information on), it depends on the person or persons who are "handling" the plachett.

There are those who say the movement is caused by muscle reflexes transmitted from the consious and/or subconsious mind. I have seen instances in which simplistic answers have occurred, but just as often I have seen nothing happen.

The "bad things can happen" stories make for good publicity for the board and it's spawn. The principle of the pendulum is the same as the board; however, I have not heard "horror" stories about the pendulum, like they tell about the Ouija Board.

Unless you wish to invest the money in one of the boards, you probably will do just as well with your "cup." Hope this helps.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Marelli, the Chinese version that I talk about was very popular in the 80s. Lots of movies were made about this saucer (all horror themes). That's why not many people dabble with it.

The main problem with using the Chinese version is that all the words are in Chinese characters. Unlike the Ouija which has alphabets and numbers, the Chinese version has about 300 characters? The burning of the incense makes it errie to use.

Back in the 80s, I use to play around with a coin as an indicator. The board/paper used is made up of alphabets and numbers with a additonal yes, no and home. The coin will start at the "Home" and we'll place the forefinger on the coin and start chanting "Spirit coin, please come out" over and over again untill the coin starts moving. Errie but quite fun though.

Smile
Bernard Sim
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Thanks Bernard for the information. I assume the cup was placed on a board that had the grapic representations of the multitude of Chinese characters and symbols. If you think about it, virtually every culture has some device(s) similar to the Ouija board.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
Take it from someone who has played around with it: it is probably best left alone.

Being an inquisitive type of person, I wanted to be present when people were doing it so that I could put it down to all the scientific reasons that everyone proposes. Unfortunately after doing about 20 over a month I could not conclude either way.

One point was where myself and a friend spelled out someone who was present's mother's maiden name. Even if either of us was pushing the cup, which I can vouch would have been a feat in itself, neither of us knew the maiden name before it happened. Which annoyed me immensely because I could not explain it. We did not use a board however, we had drawn letters on slips of paper and arranged them into a circle on a table.

But I now have the wisdom to not play with such things after scaring myself silly one time.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
I played with it a bit in high school. Nothing scary happened. But that one seance we did...hehehe.

I think the ouija board is a great invention. I am amazed at how it has captured the imagination of so many people.
Whether it has any spooky powers or not, it's a great game for entertainment.

I find it more curious than ever as I just received 'Tales From the Talking Board' by Jim Magus. Applying magic to ouija seems natural.

Because there is so much hype surrounding the board, I really think more magician's should capitalize on it. It will make an excellent tool/prop.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
I agree that there is a lot of hype about the board but would not go so far as to do any magic that related to it. You would need a very select audience because I know a lot of people that would be offended to be in the same room as someone even talking about it. It doesn't bother me as I am not religious (despite going to a Catholic school for 9years!), but it might bother other people, so I would be careful.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4399 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yep, unless you were doing bizarre magic I'd keep well away from it.

When I was a kid, Waddington's Games put one on the market in the U.K. but it was soon withdrawn. Certainly no longer sold as toys or games over here, but probably there are some still available from Occult supply stores.

My brother as a young adult in the RAF had a session with a board and some other guys and one of them got so freaked out he ended up in hospital.

There are other divination methods where you are not apparently inviting anything into your home. Blimey, have you not seen the Witchboard movies? Smile

Paul Hallas.
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
For those of you interested, have a look at:

http://www.museumoftalkingboards.com

A good site with a great gallery and a lot of information.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
I'm just not going ever use one because too many bad things happened in my family because of it.
A couple of my cousins/nephews played with one and it said you will now have bad luck. ect. and they ended up with their house burnt down, all crippled for life, deadly car accident, ect. Then some others in my family when they warned them not too, got the same message, more bad things happened. Smile
It's just too many bad coincidences for me to try, that's why I never did.
Now my family knows better and just stay safe and don't even think about using one just in case.
P.S. I wouldn't lie to you guys, it's true. Thats why I just like to be better safe than sorry to use one. Smile Smile Smile
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
A true "real" Ouija board is actually supposed to be made out of oak wood, not plastic, in order for it to actually 'work'.
Not sure if anyone knew that or not.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Before we get all crazy about the Ouija board, remember its past:
It was created in the 1930s as a Depression-era parlor game (Parker Brothers, I believe).
It hardly has the long history of, for example, Tarot cards, or scrying, or palm reading.
Its very name is a made-up combination of "yes" in French (oui) and German (ja).
So let's not attribute TOO much to it.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4610 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-04-13 16:50, Marelli wrote:
The "bad things can happen" stories make for good publicity for the board and it's spawn. The principle of the pendulum is the same as the board; however, I have not heard "horror" stories about the pendulum, like they tell about the Ouija Board.

Obviously you've never been nearly strangled by a possessed pendulum.

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
I know, thats why I'm not making too much of a big deal out of it.
I'm allowed to have my own skeptics on it though.
I'm just saying there is too many weird coincidences in my family based around that board so I'm just going to play it safe and not play it and maybe become the next "victim". Smile :0)
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
We used to mess with it as kids, I have no explanation for what I thought was happening. But, after I saw it on the Exorcist... "Capt. Howdy" it was hands off for me!
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
PutASpellOnMe
View Profile
New user
OK
27 Posts

Profile of PutASpellOnMe
I think anytime you are truly focusing on conjuring up the dead, rather it be via quija board or any other source, you are dealing with something evil. Let dead people lay. Communication with the underworld in any form can be dangerous, especially in the hands of amateurs.
"A friend is a present you give yourself"
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2002-04-29 22:59, Peter Marucci wrote:
Before we get all crazy about the Ouija board, remember its past:
It was created in the 1930s as a Depression-era parlor game (Parker Brothers, I believe).
It hardly has the long history of, for example, Tarot cards, or scrying, or palm reading.
Its very name is a made-up combination of "yes" in French (oui) and German (ja).
So let's not attribute TOO much to it.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

Actually it goes back a few years before that , but not much. Parker Bros. brought theirs out in the 1930s when they bought the rights from the originator, William Fuld. Fuld had put his first version on the market in the 1890's, inspired by a stunt of the Fox Sisters, famous fake spirit mediums of the 19th century.
Fuld's board was a big hit from the start and inspired numerous knock-offs.
The Spiritualist Movement took to Fuld's board, and fake spirit mediums milked it for all it was worth.
It didn't take long for a great deal of superstitious hooey to gather around the board.
I know a lot of people who have strong (negative) feelings about the Ouija Board, and for this reason, despite my own conviction that there is nothing supernatural about it, I would be hesitant to use it for a magic routine, simply because so many people could potentially be offended by it.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember a British series about a private investigator whose partner had died and come back as a ghost. (Of course, only the PI could see or hear the ghost. TV rule.) In one episode, he <has> to get a message to his widow who's at a party. A couple of people at the party are playing with a Ouija board. He puts his hand over the board and begins moving the platchett.

WOMAN: (to man) You're moving it!

MAN: No I'm not! You're moving it!

GHOST: I'M moving it! I'm allowed to!
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Muckey Spleen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Muckey Spleen
Wow, what a hilarious thread. Ouija boards? And I thought magicians were LESS credulous than most.

Boo!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oujija Board (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL