The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Ethics - help me understand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 18:24, 61magic wrote:
Gospel Dan I'm a bit confused by your post and left with the impression you find acceptable to take the material of others, am I reading this wrong?
I believe the point many are making here is the difference between buying a trick whre you are allowed to perform and using a routine that belongs to someone else.
Copyright, Patent, and Trademark are all forms of protection and each has a specific purpose and are applied differently.
You can be sold a trick but not allowed to use the creator's routine bit, by bit, word for word...
Example of this you buy one of Andre Kole's illusions and you receive the rights to perform it, but the original routine, patter and actions by Kole remain with him unless specified otherwise by him.
As a paralegal I run into copyright issues so I would be intereste in your take on the misconceptions you are speaking about.

No, that's not what I am saying. Smile

I have done a lot of studying and I'm actually consulting my wife's cousin who is a lawyer about this whole issue, and I am not only surprised on how gullible I've been, but how some of the so-called reputable magicians and creator's are actually very dishonest people.

I not only live by a set of ethics that neither I or any other human created, but I try to live by a set of morals set out for me as a Christian believer.

I don't expect everyone else to live by those same ethics and morals, but we all have ethics and morals we all try to live by. Some just try to con other people by trying to manipulate them.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Which part of THOU SHALL NOT STEAL do you fail to understand, Dan? After all, this is one the RULES laid down by your sky daddy. Where did he give you permission to try and circumnavigate this? You either play by your main man's rules or you don't. And if you don't, then off the high horse man. Come on down and join us lowly immoral rationalists.
LOL

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Ben, you either did not read my posts, or are too hung up on my faith to see what I am saying. Where in any of my posts do I say any different?

I'm obviously against stealing, and would only be entertaining your ignorance if I was to repeat myself.

I did want to respond to your ill-informed post though because you are implying that I think stealing is okay, which I don't.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 18:46, lebowski wrote:
Dan you say if you see a magician perform a trick at a show, and you copy it, and then add it to your show, there is nothing illegal about it. Later you say if you buy a cook book and the person doesn't like the fact that you're making a lot of cash cooking the food in his cookbook, then he should of never had marketed it.

If the magician who you copied without his consent didn't market the trick, or you didn't pay for his marketed effect, why do you feel justified in stealing his work? Legal issues aside, this behavior is unethical and immoral and is stealing something that doesn't belong to you. Because others do it is no justification, others steal so that means it's okay for you to do?

I feel those who operate like that justify or rationalize their theivery because they are incapable of devloping their own winning routines or lack the funds to obtain the work of others. Either way, taking something that doesn't belong to you is dispicable behaviour even if you can legally get away with it.

Besides, if you copy the work of Copperfield, it doesn't make you Copperfield. Have some self respect. Change your artistic mindset into being the best Dan you can be instead of arguing that thieving the work of others is acceptable just because you can get away with it because it falls into a gray area of the law.

I seem to have not made myself clear. Those who know me know where I stand. I am against taking other peoples work and copying it for many reasons. One of them has to do with my ethics and morals. My point is who am I to tell someone what their ethics and morals should be?

I cannot make anyone choose to live according to a certain set of ethics and morals, but the law is in place to punish those who break it. If I see someone breaking the law, there is something I can do about it by calling the authorities.

If someone chooses to live by a different set of ethics and morals there is nothing I can do. I can't save the world, but I can keep the world from destroying me.

I hear so much about the poor ethics of consumers, and the other real problem in my opinion, which seems to get little attention is some of the bigger so-called reputable creator's who use lies, and deceitful tactics to market their effects. They act like they are the authority on ethics while at the same time they break them just as much.

I should work on my writing skills more. Smile
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Nope Dan, you're coming through loud and clear.
Magic is a vanishing art.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Once one learns to do math they don't have to credit the Babylonians with their contributions. However if one was to use a specific formula such as Einstein's theory you might want to credit him to give your work more validity. Simple.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Ethics - help me understand (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL