The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I was hoping I could get some opinions on my website. I've gotten a lot of opinions but mostly from non-magicians. So far I know I'm lacking a video and more pictures of me performing. Those two things I'm working on getting within the next few weeks. Other than that if you have any other opinions please let me know. I definitely want it to be as good as it can be. Thanks!

http://www.davidranalli.com
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I'm a huge fan of videos on a website (as you can tell by my site). They get people invested in what you offer because they spend a lot of time on your site by looking at the videos rather than glancing at your text. This makes them feel like they know you more than they really do.

Here are my changes:
-Put the demo video on your home page where the current picture is.
-Put the picture of you (on your home page) at the top right in the header so now they see you on all pages
-Change the navigation bar to a black color rather than the grey. The grey is hard to see because it is on a grey background. So change the main color to black and the mouse-over color to grey (or blue since that is the color on your shirt)
-On the Client section...get video testimonials and place them on that page. Have TONS of video testimonials. Instead of the pictures on the right side with the logos, I would place testimonial videos.
-Do not have a "schedule" page unless your schedule is booked big time. If you're schedule is not booked then it makes you look bad. Alain Nu has his schedule and I think it shows you the shcedule for a year out (now that is what you call an "in-demand" performer). If you want to have a "schedule" section then put up a calendar for the month and only put in "gig 1pm-3pm" even if you don't have it so you appear busy.
-And having boxes for people to fill out on your contact page is easier for people visiting your site so I would recommend having a box for people to fill in and click send...as well as having all the information you have now.

Those are my suggestions. And I HIGHLY recommend getting tons of testimonial videos. It is better to have an ugly website that is effective rather than a pretty website that doesn't convert.

But overall the site is great.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Benji gave great suggestions. I suggest you listen to him.

Definitely put your picture in the header rather than the cards. Even when marketing a magic show: it never about the magic. It's about you, your customers, and what benefits you bring to them.

"Magical Entertainment" seems so generic and doesn't communicate benefits to your prospective clients. I suppose it's OK to start with but keep thinking about what sets you apart and promote your uniqueness. Give them a reason to hire you rather than your competition.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Great points all around!

I think Scott hit on something important with the "Magical Entertainment." Especially since your domain is your name, just have your name as the header instead of the magical entertainment tag. And yes, add your image up there.

Second, do something about using CSS to load more optimized background images. Each page reloads the images. Inefficient use of bandwidth. If you use CSS, it loads it once and doesn't need to reload the background image, so your pages will load faster.

Speaking about images, get a new picture for the walkaround magic. The lady in the back isn't even paying attention to you. You want RAPT attention in your photos, not one watching and two more having their own conversation.

Definitely agree about the testimonials. Add a TON of them. Personally, I hate the term "Clients" or "Testimonials" even though everyone uses them and everyone knows what they mean.

I use the phrase, "Raving Fans" and list a ton of testimonials on my page (http://nothingupmysleeves.com) to get the point across. I feel it's more emotional, and that's key. Emotion.

And if you're going to say you're not "your average magician," get rid of the card spring photo and show faces of audience members having fun. Again, it's more emotional. Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Add your contact all over the place. At least a footer with your phone so they can call you from any page.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2010-08-12 05:03, ScottRSullivan wrote:

Second, do something about using CSS to load more optimized background images. Each page reloads the images. Inefficient use of bandwidth. If you use CSS, it loads it once and doesn't need to reload the background image, so your pages will load faster.

You lost me here but it sounds important lol. I'd appreciate a pm because I'd like to fix this if it is worth fixing.

As for everything else, I'll definitely start changing things up! I appreciate the advice. Some of the things mentioned were things I thought about but wasn't sure. I'm glad you guys have reassured me. I'm also glad to see some things I had no clue should change. Again, I need to get more pictures and videos of me performing so those are now my number one priority. I think I didn't put enough creativity into the website itself because I was afraid it wouldn't come out "professional" enough. However, I'll add more of me into the site. Thanks again.

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My website (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL