The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Build a stack?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

poonchingyip
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
420 Posts

Profile of poonchingyip
Hey all, I am wondering if there is anyone who has tried to build up a memorized stack ?? If yes, how did you get start? (like list out the effects you want first or discover your own stack by shuffles and/faros??)

- Arthur
nlokers
View Profile
Regular user
Grand Rapids, MI
143 Posts

Profile of nlokers
I would put together the list of effects that I wanted, and I would also study how Aronson and Tamariz decks are put together (paying attention to how cards are in a position for multiple uses). There are also some free software programs that will allow you to play around with shuffling and dealing with a stack which is way quicker than doing it by hand.

What I found is that most of the mem deck stuff that I do is not based on the effects, but just the amazing stuff you can do once you have memorized a stack. If I was to memorize another stack I would consider one of the Texas Hold'em stacks given how popular it is when it comes to card games. http://www.benjoffe.com/holdem
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
190 Posts

Profile of the dealer
Ive come up with a stack of my own...in addition, I also have the aronson stack under my belt. I really enjoy doing non specific stack effects, and I also use the aronson stack for its built in effects, which are all killer, I have my own story telling stack(like sam the bellhop) which talks specifically about me, and the stack that I came up with is six faros in. so after a series of mem deck effect, then two faros....viola!...close with the storytelling....
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8466 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
What in the world do you do when someone hands you a deck and says "Show me a trick"? HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-08-23 18:28, Harry Lorayne wrote:
What in the world do you do when someone hands you a deck and says "Show me a trick"? HL.

;) Ya better be prepared with some hard hitting impromptu magic.

I do have a question to the OP however: considering the excellence already inherent in both Aronson and Tamariz, is there something lacking in these stacks that is making you desire to create your own? There is nothing wrong with inventing your own of course, but, can you say you have explored the possibilities of these stacks fully?

Of course, it may well be an intellectual exercise for you too. So, I am curious.

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: You might want to read up on Michaels Close's work on memdeck work, and in particular, "jazzing" with one. I would also offer a suggestion to go to Dennis Loomis' site devoted to memdeck work. http://www.loomismagic.com/memdeck.php
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
I (and others) have developed stacks that better suit our performing needs (or desires). There are other threads where we discuss this, but briefly here:

IMHO, the best MD effects are stack independent. After using the AS for a few years, I found I used very little of the built-in effects. I would do one here or there, but they weren't of the same level as other stuff I considered stronger, so they would fall by the wayside. The poker deals in the AS and Mnemonica are pretty cool, but not something I ever used. I figured if I ever wanted to work up an "any hand called for" type of routine, I could do that without incorporating it into a MD.

Cain, another contributor here had some good thinking about using a stack that had 1 (one) killer, built-in effect - one that you would for sure use. He and I each developed our own stacks based on criteria that were important to us (of which we had many agreements), and because of that we are using stacks that are not the same, but very similar to each other.

It was a fun exercise, and it meets my needs better than the AS did. Plus, like Aronson and Tamariz did with their stacks - I can search out built-in effects in the stack I use. And a magician isn't going to see the 9D always popping up. :o)

Ok, maybe not so brief. Hopefully that makes sense.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-08-24 00:01, Cohiba wrote:
I (and others) have developed stacks that better suit our performing needs (or desires). There are other threads where we discuss this, but briefly here:

IMHO, the best MD effects are stack independent. After using the AS for a few years, I found I used very little of the built-in effects. I would do one here or there, but they weren't of the same level as other stuff I considered stronger, so they would fall by the wayside. The poker deals in the AS and Mnemonica are pretty cool, but not something I ever used. I figured if I ever wanted to work up an "any hand called for" type of routine, I could do that without incorporating it into a MD.

Cain, another contributor here had some good thinking about using a stack that had 1 (one) killer, built-in effect - one that you would for sure use. He and I each developed our own stacks based on criteria that were important to us (of which we had many agreements), and because of that we are using stacks that are not the same, but very similar to each other.

It was a fun exercise, and it meets my needs better than the AS did. Plus, like Aronson and Tamariz did with their stacks - I can search out built-in effects in the stack I use. And a magician isn't going to see the 9D always popping up. :o)

Ok, maybe not so brief. Hopefully that makes sense.

A lot said here that is good.

Though I am still new to mem deck/stack work, I took the same approach, that is, figuring out what features were important to me, and building a stack from there.

My main desire was getting in and out of NDO, so I took an approach similar to Tamariz. However, I did not like the look of the European NDO, with both red suits back to back in the centre, and preferred an alternating suit colour NDO.

Technically I'm also not a fan of the suits running a-k, a-k, k-a, k-a, either and actually make my "NDO" with all the suits in the same order, so I have to do a quick running sequence if I open a brand new deck before I go into my stack.

I then went through a procedure similar to that of getting into Mnemonica and had a stack I was rather happy with.

Surprisingly, considering I started with thee cards in a different order, and went through a slightly different procedure to get to my stack, I was still able to modify a good bit of the Mnemonica specific effects to by built into mine stack, including several spelling effects, and Any Hand Called For.

Currently I am using these built in effects more than I probably will later as I have not finished memorizing the deck. It is nice to be able to use the stack before I have even memorized it. I am finding it is helping me gain confidence with it and familiarize myself with the stack through regular use.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Build a stack?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL