The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Gem sticks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
I have a plastic gem stick with four stones on each side. On side one, three gems are the same colour with the end one being of a different stone.

On side two, the different (matching) stone is at position three. The effect is that the different stone is manipulated so that it appears to be moving along the line from one end to the other and back again.

Can anyone tell me the commercial name of this prop - and is it still available?

Thanks in advance for any information supplied.

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Happy Hank
View Profile
New user
Winnemucca, NV
34 Posts

Profile of Happy Hank
Sounds like hotrod

HH
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No. Hot Rod has six stones on each side.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-14 04:35, Happy Hank wrote:
Sounds like hotrod

HH

I also have Hot Rod and, as Bill says, it has six stones on each side - six different colours which magically change to being all alike. But thanks for the response.

Anyone else have an idea?

Leslie.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Leslie:

There were a number of "Jumping Gem" type products.
Is the odd colored gem red?

Tony
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Hi Tony,

Yes, on the prop I am asking about the odd one is red and the other three are yellow/gold. All of the stones are embedded into a white plastic rod, three and three quarter inches long. The stones are centrally placed with just over an inch at either end!

There is another trick which I think is actually called 'The Jumping Gems', but that one is made up of two black rods with 'diamond' stones at the ends. The stones jump back and forth between the rods.

My reason for asking is that I have a presentation for this trick that works alongside the 'Hot Rod', earlier mentioned and I am thinking of including it in 'Magictales Two'. I need to know what the trick is called and if it is generally available before recommending its purchase!

Leslie
Meshuggina
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Meshuggina
It certainly sounds like one of the traveling gem variants. With the configuration that you mention it sounds like it would be easy to start the gem on one end, then move it along to the other end. There are various stop light versions of this as well.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
As I read these entries, I am beginning to recall something like this that I saw in one of the shops. It wasn't part of the original Ken Allen Jumping Gems series, though. I think the concept on this was, as Meshuggina has surmised, a routine in which one of the gems apparently "climbed up the ladder."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-14 20:05, Meshuggina wrote:
It certainly sounds like one of the traveling gem variants. With the configuration that you mention it sounds like it would be easy to start the gem on one end, then move it along to the other end.

That's exactly what it does - what is it called and is it still on the market?

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Leslie

Posted: Aug 18, 2010 5:29am
It has been suggested that it might be a 'Chu' product - perhaps that will trigger further thoughts?

Leslie

Posted: Aug 18, 2010 6:10am
Found it! It was indeed a Chu's Magic product. It is called Cross Light and can be found here:

http://www.chusmagic.com/catalog_file/catalogue1.htm

Thanks for your interest and PM's

Leslie
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I had it and as I recall it was called "Crosstown." It only utilized one paddle move as the green gem would start at the bottom and move one step at a time to the top. It was done by holding stick in left hand and turning it once from bottom to top, next move was the same, except it included a paddle move.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Fantasma Magic sells a cheap version of this paddle trick in little magic sets sold at Dollar Tree stores here in the U.S.A. for a dollar.

Yes, the red psot travels up and down the paddle, a neat trick really with only a couple paddle moves.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

I have created a mildly amusing story presentation that combines 'Cross Lights' (or 'Crosstown'!) with the 'Hot Rod'. The purpose of which was to avoid the dreadfully contrived method of forcing the required Hot Rod stone.

I intend to include the effect in 'Magictales Two', currently in preparation.

Before writing up the routine, I needed to know the name of the four stone prop (Cross Lights) and that it was still available, and I very much appreciate the interest shown in this thread that has eventually led me to a result.

Thank you one and all!

Leslie
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 18:52, Leslie Melville wrote:
I have created a mildly amusing story presentation that combines 'Cross Lights' (or 'Crosstown'!) with the 'Hot Rod'. The purpose of which was to avoid the dreadfully contrived method of forcing the required Hot Rod stone.
Leslie

Leslie,
Crosstown does NOT require a force.
Rennie
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Unless someone beat me to it, I have created two different gem stick effects. One begins with 3 gems, all the same color (in the center of the stick). They change one at a time to a second color. No moving parts.

The other begins with a red gem at the end (both sides, of course). It changes to yellow, and then to green, and finally, there are three gems together (red, yellow, and green like a traffic light).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Rennie,

Sorry if my posting wasn't clear but if you re-read my comment you will see that I refer to - "the contrived method of forcing of the 'Hot Rod' stone".

Leslie
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2010-08-20 06:14, Leslie Melville wrote:
Rennie,

Sorry if my posting wasn't clear but if you re-read my comment you will see that I refer to - "the contrived method of forcing of the 'Hot Rod' stone".

Leslie

Got it! I just read it too quickly.
Rennie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Gem sticks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL