The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Oxymorons, pardoxes, movie-logic (or lack thereof) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2115 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
1) If the death star could destroy a planet, why did it have to clear a planet to shoot at a MOON??

2) "You did it ass-backwards" So?!? What other way IS there to do anything?

3) Why isn't the word 'phonetic' spelt the way it sounds?

4) In "Titanic", after the ship sinks and someone screams, an echo is heard. OFF OF WHAT???

5) Above each bed in the medbay of the 'Enterprise' (star trek) there are little indicator arrows for pulse, bloodpressure, respiration,......what does the indicator at the far right say? (you'll need a dvd zoom feature to spot this)

6) What insensetive person desinged the word 'lisp'?

7) What the heck did they call the 'hundred-years-war' when it STARTED?

8) Elevate, steal, toy, cheese, nothing, money, card, one-size-fits-all name. What word fits 'em all?

9) What comic book character is made up of 5 Greeks and 1 Jew?

10) If Green Lantern's ring cant do anything with the color yellow....HOW DOES IT MAKE ANYTHING GREEN?!?

11) In the original "Superman" (with Christopher Reeve) Supes turns back time by orbiting the planet at such speed that the world abruptly ceases rotating. Can anyone out there theorize what would happen if that were actually done?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
12) Why is it that when you send something by car, it's called a "shipment", but when you send something by ship, it's called "cargo"?
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
13)why is abbreviation such a long word?
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
2115 Posts

At least no one's dredged up the cheesy driveway / parkway one!

C'mon....no trekkies out there who can get #5?
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
4. An iceberg?

5. Geek!

11. Would everyone fly off? (was he meant to stop the world rotating? I thought he just went so fast he went back in time (as you do))
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I didn't realize we were supposed to try and answer them. OK:

5) "Medical Insurance Remaining"

9) Captain Marvel - He gets his powers from the Greek Gods Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury. He also has the wisdom of King Solomon, a Jewish King from the Old Testament. (No, the hero's name is not "Shazam".)
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
2115 Posts

5) Dang!!! Youre really somthing else Mr. Cram!! Did you zoom in on it or did you just know that?

9) Righto....Shazam is the name of the wizard who GIVES him the power.

11) I'll take that, though it's really lowballing it. EVERYTHING whose foundation went less than 2000 feet below the Earth's surface would go flying at about 1'040 mph, and since our gravity-source would be temporarily suspanded....theyd get pretty far. And NO it wouldnt turn back time....you'd need to reverse the flow of the entire universe (from outgoing to incoming) for that.

4) this one was just an example of an error, though I suppose it COULD be an iceberg, but if you know how 'echo-science' works, that would have to either be one wiiiiiiiide iceberg, or the shouter would have to be able to shoot their voice in a concentrated ray.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3100 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
>11) ...and since our gravity-source would be temporarily suspanded....theyd get pretty far.<

Why would our gravity source be suspended? Gravity has to do with mass not spin. Right?

OK let me take a stab at it.

If the earth stopped spinning (on the way to reversing) it would not cause things to fly up (outward from the center of the earth). It would cause things to fly Eastward if supermans's force was applied to the earth only. If superman's force was applied to everything on the earth uniformly than things wouldn't move at all. More likely, the force would be applied sort of haphazardly and everything would fly Eastward at variing speeds.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I was. I had a heck of a time deciding if I wanted to say Eastward or Westward and I probably settled on the wrong one)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3100 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
>1) If the death star could destroy a planet, why did it have to clear a planet to shoot at a MOON??

I don't understand this one. Maybe the death star wanted to shoot at the moon but didn't want to hit the planet.

I know these are cute observations and not to be taken too seriously but I just don't get this one at all.

Also on 5) What is you source for this and what version of Star Trek are you refering to? Original Series? One of the movies? Next Gen? or is it just intended as a joke?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
2115 Posts

These are mainly intended to be humorous, but many of them DO have actual answers which....in the context of the question's 'univerese'....are legit (the captian Marvel one for example)

1) Yavin (the planet of the moon which the rebels were based on orbited) was a gas giant, and the Death star's galaxy-gun had a short range, so the resulting explosion from Yavin would have done a lot of damage to the death star. So.....basicly your answer was right!

5) It's Nextgen. It was originaly published in a book, but then the magic of DVD and bluray allowed fans to confirm it first-hand.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
2115 Posts

#8 BTW, is "Jack"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Oxymorons, pardoxes, movie-logic (or lack thereof) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL