The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Would like to get started (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pedranti Magic
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Profile of Pedranti Magic
Hi my name is Robin Pedranti. I am a fairly new member to the Café but I have been a long time reader so I decided it was finally time to join.

I am mainly a close up magician but I would like to get into the world of stage magic soon as well. I have been performing magic for about 5 years. I am 16 now, and as such I am still in High School. I know I am young and I have a long road ahead of me but that's why I want to start now. I have worked for pay at several parties and a restaurant in the past and I will be starting back up with another restaurant soon. I don't consider myself a professional by any means which is why I am making this post.

I want to know how to really get started and how to get your name out there. I don't currently have a website but I will get one soon, as well a business cards. But what else can I do? I would like to become a full time professional magician one day and I may as well get started now.

What steps can I start taking now to become a full time magician as soon as possible? Now I understand that I am young, and that I have nothing but time, and I don't expect some magic formula (pun intended) to become a successful magician over night. But any advice on how to get started would be appreciated. Especially when it come to the business side of things(such as marketing).

Thank you in advance and any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22892 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You are at a good time to start marketing your skills, through school the other kids and teachers. If you have a favorite teacher, show them some tricks as well.

Marketing: There are many books on magic marketing and marketing in general. Why not pick up some copies and read about the topic.

A good souce is Stan Kramien, The Illusion Show Business now on CD here: http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......_id=3115 This is a huge book taking you step by step through the promoting of a show.

Basics that you will need is a business card, brochure telling who, what, where, and why, web site, pictures of you in action, and a promotional video.

The best advertising is "word of mouth", so look for referrals. Direct mailing is also a good source of advertising with a picture post card as a feeler piece.

These are expensive and but you should charge your fees in accordence with your investments to give you some return on your investment. All these necessary methods do not have to be done all at once, but professional pictures, and a brochure is necessary for the none referral business.

Markets are a tough one, and that you will have to decide on your own when you are ready. I would look into beginning with birthday parties, this will give experience with performing in front of people and business dealings.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would recomend the Jim Snack course for a pretty comprehensive overview. Jim is a member here.

http://www.success-in-magic.com/coursedetails.htm
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
You sound a lot like me when I was 16. I was determined to begin my career as a professional magician the day I graduated High School. Unfortunately, I failed miserably. I had a pretty good act, I just knew very little about marketing. I was so discouraged I packed all my magic away for 8 years. So, maybe you can learn from my mistake.

Mark Wilson said he spent 80% of his time marketing. Are you willing to do that? In my opinion that is what you have to do to be a success. I, too, am very impressed with Jim Snack's material and think Danny’s suggestion is an excellent one.

My only additional piece of advice is not to be shy about asking someone to mentor you. They will probably be complimented you asked.

Best of luck to you!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hi Robin
Welcome to the magic Café.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Another thought..

If you have a flair for close up magic, the restaurant field would be a great training ground for you. The ability to present you act over and over will hone your skills, not to mention, you will be auditioning for hundreds of potential clients every week.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Pedranti Magic
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Thank you very much for your responses. I have actually already looked into Jim's course and I was considering buying it. From some of the reading I have already been doing here on the Tricky Business section I have noticed that marketing takes a lot of time. I am fine with that. After all you don't get anywhere without some hard work.

Since I am still in high school my time is obviously limited. Especially with me involved in football and track and field. I am also a prospect for getting a scholarship in football. So like I said my time is limited. But I won't let it stop me.

Again thanks for your responses so far.
Pedranti Magic
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Thanks Al! And Ken yes in fact I have already made arrangements for me to start working at a local restaurant in the near future.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22892 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pedranti Magic, a football player that does magic, that is different!

Also sounds like you need to make some decisions in your life and stay on track. The way I read your response is you are now giving excuses to not follow your dream as orginally posted.

Maybe, if you read some books on goal setting, it would benefit you more in your life then jumping all over the place. I realize this is a time for finding yourself, but you must do the work. If our advice goes in one ear and out the other, nothing has been accomplished for your or the advice given.

There is enough failures in life due to the "Yah But" excuses.

Anyway, shouldn't you be in school right now? School started last week. Smile
Pedranti Magic
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

No I am not making excuses at all. That is still my dream and I am sticking to it. My only point was that I know that I won't be able to hit it full force right away. With that said football is only in the fall, and during track I have much more time than football. I am not afraid of doing the work, that's just how I was raised. I will go the extra mile to accomplish something. I will be working on my magic relentlessly.

Your input is not going in one ear and out the other by any means. I greatly appreciate everything and take it to heart.

And no school starts next week for me. August 23 in Texas Smile
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
You could use your football scholarship to earn an undergraduate degree in business and marketing. This allows you to take advantage of your youth and passion for football, learn valuable skills in learning/teamwork/business, and have the option to work in a marketing department to learn from those more skilled than you (as you plan to launch your business).

Educating yourself and keeping your options open is a good thing when you are young. Really, you may not like the business of magic after trying it out. If your education will be partially paid for via scholarship and if your parents would be willing to let you live at home etc, then that would be a great idea IMO.

You're young and there is a ton of time ahead of you to achieve all of your wildest dreams!

I speak as someone who took this very same path (except for the football part!).
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Nice Bill....can see why you're not a cheerleader!!!

Go for it Pedranti Magic. Don't let anyone stop you. I ran track and played soccer in school. Experience everything you can, while you can.

Good luck,

John
Pedranti Magic
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Scott, that was something I am seriously considering doing in college. I love magic and I love football, but you can't play football forever, which is why I want to do magic. And anything can happen. I mean maybe I don't end up getting a scholarship for whatever reason. I don't know what will happen.

But for right now I am going forward as if I was trying to get up and running magic wise right now.

Thanks again for all the responses so far guys!
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
You should build up your marketing/sales skills as much as possible (live, sleep, and breathe Barnes & Noble).

Your first step is to determine who you want to perform for (your target market; the more detailed the better). Once you know who you want to perform for then you can start attracting them to you.

But you have to shift the way you think about doing magic as a business. Instead of thinking about "how" you can start performing for a living you should think about what "circumstances" you need to create that would make it inevitable.

For example...if you wanted to perform at corporate events and started to think about how to do it then you wouldn't know where to start. Should you get a website? Demo video? Promo Packet? What goes into the video, etc etc etc. But if you looked at the circumstances that would make it inevitable then you change your actions.

One circumstance is to find out where high profile event planners hang out. Go there and start performing for them. In essence...you go out, get seen, and get booked. Setting up circumstances (and there are many) like that will make your success inevitable.

Some recommended reading:
Dave Lakhani- Subliminal Persuasion
Dave Lakhani- Persuasion:The art of getting what you want
Dave Lakhani- How to sell when nobody's buying
(as you can tell I really like Dave Lakhani)

Jeffrey Gitomer-Sales Bible
Joel Bauer-Hustle Hustle (the book, not the dvd)
Jay Levinson-Guerrilla Marketing
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I’ll be short, cuz I have limited access while on the road:
*1) FIRST: Be A Lifetime Student! (Forever!)
=A) Some killer advice so far… re-read, print-out and study THIS ENTIRE SECTION of the Café (well the ones that apply to you and your desired outcomes!) – It’s FREE!
=B) Keep asking good questions, and MAKE SURE to take ACTION on what you learn and the share the real RESULTS from your action with others here. - - Trust me, I am (and so are others) willing to HELP you succeed if we see they are advancing by taking action and doing some of the stuff we share… it goes a looooong way!
=C) The Internet, The Library, The Bookstores… etc; ARE Your BEST Friends(s)!
=D) INVEST (Time, Talent & Treasure… Not JUST Money) into your education!

*2) At ‘this’ point in the game… check-out Jim Snack’s “Success In Magic” system… it will help shave well-over 5 years off your learning curve and it is cheap at 10 times the investment! (I make NOTHING for the recommendation… accept the satisfaction of doing the right thing by helping you out with the right info!)

*3) Go out and alow yourself to be bad… (Yes REALLY!) Then get better and better and better and eventually get good and beyond and let "Real Life EXPERANCE" Be Your Master Mentor. (YES, Still learn for the “experience of others” thru books, associations, Others, lessons… etc)

Your OWN “Ah-Ha” moments will have “THE Most Profound Effects” on you and your business and performance success… you 'MUST' have your own natural growth experience if you hope to get anywhere significant in life and in business. It’s called 'life', BUT if you (aggressively) “seek it out” (instead of just letting in happen to you!) it won’t take nearly as long!

*4) Be willing to take CALCULATED Risk(s)! Nothing truly great happens to those who never TRY anything great… you MUST be willing to take some PLANNED (and ‘some’ spontaneous) risks in your life and in your business… plus, it builds stock, character and amps-up the “EXPERIENCE” process.

*5) PROTECT YOUR MIND! Yes, be humble and open to learning, but "KNOW Your Outcome" and "Know You Can" ...allow NO-ONE to steal your desired and deserved dreams and goals!

*6) Rinse, Lather, Repeat… (Action & More Action!)

I too started when I was a kid… (Youth is POWER!) was the youngest professional performer in my area (NOT a small area) with Theme-Parks, Corporate Events, Local Cruises, Fairs and Special Events under my belt by the time I was 10. (Produced and performed a full theme-park show when I was 12!)

I am NOT telling you this to ‘impress’ you or anyone… I am only sharing this to IMPRESS UPON YOU that You CAN DO THIS if You Really Want To!

Make SURE you still ‘enjoy your youth’… it will HELP shape and sculpt who and what you become!

OK… gotta float.

Be well!
Dean
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Pedranti Magic
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Wow I can see I'm really going to like this place. I just want everyone to know that I take all this information to heart. I really appreciate THANK YOU!!!!

Benji I have also taken a look at your blog which seems like it could really help me. And Dean I have read ALOT of posts specifically in the 'Tricky Business' Section and you keep popping up with great information on every other post! So again thank you.

So far I am talking to a guy about working at his restaurant every one or two weeks in the near future mostly to gain exposure as well as experience. When I get the opportunity, I will try to move into stage magic more, as I have always had a passion for it. But for a guy just starting out close up was a lot cheaper to get into. Not that I don't like close up, because I love that too, but I hope you know what I mean.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-08-16 20:41, TheDean wrote:
I’ll be short, cuz I have limited access while on the road:
*1) FIRST: Be A Lifetime Student! (Forever!)
=A) Some killer advice so far… re-read, print-out and study THIS ENTIRE SECTION of the Café (well the ones that apply to you and your desired outcomes!) – It’s FREE!
=B) Keep asking good questions, and MAKE SURE to take ACTION on what you learn and the share the real RESULTS from your action with others here. - - Trust me, I am (and so are others) willing to HELP you succeed if we see they are advancing by taking action and doing some of the stuff we share… it goes a looooong way!
=C) The Internet, The Library, The Bookstores… etc; ARE Your BEST Friends(s)!
=D) INVEST (Time, Talent & Treasure… Not JUST Money) into your education!

*2) At ‘this’ point in the game… check-out Jim Snack’s “Success In Magic” system… it will help shave well-over 5 years off your learning curve and it is cheap at 10 times the investment! (I make NOTHING for the recommendation… accept the satisfaction of doing the right thing by helping you out with the right info!)

*3) Go out and alow yourself to be bad… (Yes REALLY!) Then get better and better and better and eventually get good and beyond and let "Real Life EXPERANCE" Be Your Master Mentor. (YES, Still learn for the “experience of others” thru books, associations, Others, lessons… etc)

Your OWN “Ah-Ha” moments will have “THE Most Profound Effects” on you and your business and performance success… you 'MUST' have your own natural growth experience if you hope to get anywhere significant in life and in business. It’s called 'life', BUT if you (aggressively) “seek it out” (instead of just letting in happen to you!) it won’t take nearly as long!

*4) Be willing to take CALCULATED Risk(s)! Nothing truly great happens to those who never TRY anything great… you MUST be willing to take some PLANNED (and ‘some’ spontaneous) risks in your life and in your business… plus, it builds stock, character and amps-up the “EXPERIENCE” process.

*5) PROTECT YOUR MIND! Yes, be humble and open to learning, but "KNOW Your Outcome" and "Know You Can" ...allow NO-ONE to steal your desired and deserved dreams and goals!

*6) Rinse, Lather, Repeat… (Action & More Action!)

I too started when I was a kid… (Youth is POWER!) was the youngest professional performer in my area (NOT a small area) with Theme-Parks, Corporate Events, Local Cruises, Fairs and Special Events under my belt by the time I was 10. (Produced and performed a full theme-park show when I was 12!)

I am NOT telling you this to ‘impress’ you or anyone… I am only sharing this to IMPRESS UPON YOU that You CAN DO THIS if You Really Want To!

Make SURE you still ‘enjoy your youth’… it will HELP shape and sculpt who and what you become!

OK… gotta float.

Be well!
Dean
<><

We need to come to a definition of what a "short" post consists of Deano.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Hehehehehe...
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
756 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
WOW!! This post is becoming a goldmine

ok so my 2 cents worth

1. Learn foundational marketing first before focusing on "Marketing for Magicians", I have found that I have had much more success with the entertainer marketing courses than friends because of a deeper understanding in the foundational principles.

2. READ until your sick of it (knowledge is key) my short list
- Duct Tape Marketing
- Referral Engine
- Purple Cow
- All Marketers are Liars
- Facinate: your 7 triggers to persuation (dont agree with part of the book but still good information)
- SocialNomics
- SEOReveloution (Big Ticket Item but WELL worth it)

3. Actively Market Daily
- Build a marketing plan (Duct Tape Marketing teaches this)
- Live the Plan

4. Automate your systems so you spend less time doing the dull stuff
- I love managersal.com it was designed by a FULL time entertainer working with a programer

OK that was my list... hope it added
Pedranti Magic
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-18 09:40, MikeClay wrote:
WOW!! This post is becoming a goldmine

ok so my 2 cents worth

1. Learn foundational marketing first before focusing on "Marketing for Magicians", I have found that I have had much more success with the entertainer marketing courses than friends because of a deeper understanding in the foundational principles.

2. READ until your sick of it (knowledge is key) my short list
- Duct Tape Marketing
- Referral Engine
- Purple Cow
- All Marketers are Liars
- Facinate: your 7 triggers to persuation (dont agree with part of the book but still good information)
- SocialNomics
- SEOReveloution (Big Ticket Item but WELL worth it)

3. Actively Market Daily
- Build a marketing plan (Duct Tape Marketing teaches this)
- Live the Plan

4. Automate your systems so you spend less time doing the dull stuff
- I love managersal.com it was designed by a FULL time entertainer working with a programer

OK that was my list... hope it added

I will look into these for sure! Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Would like to get started (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL