The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dai Vernon Accident (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Dio
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Steve Dio
Hello there beloved friends!

I was just re-watching Dai Vernon's Revelations series and many times when it comes to demonstrating some move The Professor mentions about his left thumb.

By any chance, do you know what happened to him? Vernon said he had absolutely no feeling in the left thumb.
From my research I was able to find out that the incident happened in 1941.

Just to be safe, I am aware of David Ben's book on Dai Vernon's life. It is a book I will centainly buy in the future, but I really do want to know this individual piece of information about Vernon's thumb.

Thanks a million in advance,
Steve
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
To make ends meet he got a job as a construction laborer in New York City.

He was walking on a plank six stories up in a buildings open framework when the plank broke.

He fell six stories into the East River and almost didn't make it out.

That's where David Ben's book #1 ends......and Ben's book #2 will pick it up from there.
Jon Bright
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
30 Posts

Profile of Jon Bright
Hi Steve,

The fall damaged Vernon's arms. The thumb problem may have started later in life for Vernon. I'm not positve though.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Last I checked, the thumbs were at the end of the arms..........I'm not positive though Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So when he fell he basically landed on his thumb? Smile
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
He was thumb tip tester for Mysto Magic and this was the side-effect from his occupation. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
LOL!!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
vantas
View Profile
New user
So. Cal
3 Posts

Profile of vantas
Just got around to reading this...What actually happened to his thumb was as a result of an accident in a market in Hollywood,back in the seventies. He was shopping at the old Market Basket on Highland Ave. and slipped on some spilled liquid. He was apparently carrying a bottle of milk and the broken glass sliced deeply into his left thumb. JP
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I remember the old Market Basket. We had one down the street from me when I was a kid. Who knew it was a place that disabled magicians.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It may have been one of their "secret specials."

Maybe Ed Marlo was hiding out in the background.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
amazing eric
View Profile
New user
Amazing Eric
43 Posts

Profile of amazing eric
Dai Vernon was truly the professor. Half the fun of the Revelations is his story telling and the inconvenienced looks on the faces of his buds every so often when trying to get through a routine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dai Vernon Accident (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL