The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Library Books.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DavidSak
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of DavidSak
Hi, for the experienced magicians out there; is it possible to master magic tricks from library books instead of purchasing them? I am kind of low on funds right now and I'm sure the local library carries a couple of magic books..

Cheers
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Of course! Take 'em out and renew them...go to the library and study them. Don't try to learn every trick in the book (literally); focus on one or two at a time.

Nowhere is it written that you can't take advantage of the free resources at your disposal.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Library books are great learning resources. The only thing to remember is that they have to go back (I've paid my fines!) Smile

I take notes on stuff I've learnt from them for future reference (saves me getting a book out again!).

James.
Highpockets
View Profile
New user
Dearborn, MI
55 Posts

Profile of Highpockets
You will find that most of the books are aimed at kids which makes them a good resource for easy to learn tricks. A lot of the tricks will use things you have around the house and are easy to make. A very good place to start without a large cash outlay.
age is a steep price to pay for maturity

www.yourhealthadvantage.com/
goonerjack
View Profile
New user
England
37 Posts

Profile of goonerjack
You may be suprised when you take a look around your local libraries. It's more than likely that they will have "kiddie's" magic books, but they may also have some more advanced books.

For example, I have found Erdnase's Expert At The Card Table in my local library.

Jack.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Yes Yes a thousand times Yes! The public library has a wealth of magical information. Lots of good basics to be found there. I was scouring the library long before I knew there were magic shops.

I used to check Greater Magic out of our school library. Don't just depend on one library either. If you come from a fair sized city with several branches, check them all as books move around frequently.

Chances are these days you will not find Greater Magic or the Tarbell course anymore but you will find many books written by Walter Gibson, Henry Hay, Richard Kaufman, and Karl Fulves, etc. Not exactly lightweights in magic.

There is literally an entire act or career waiting for you there and all of it is free.
Happy hunting.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
Don't forget the "Intra-library loan system".

They will actually borrow books from other libraries in the system and bring them to your library for you.

Wow .. have your cake and eat it too.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Absolutely!
That's what I did, about 50 years ago.
There was no magic shop in our town -- in fact, I didn't even know that there were such things as magic shops -- so I created my own props from library books, both the children's library and the adults' sections.
Still do! Smile
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Absolutely. I learned a lot as a beginner through trips to the library. I'm sure many of us here did.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
DavidSak
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of DavidSak
The only problem I can think of with library books is that their books are outdated. It takes forever for libraries to get new books (at least around here). Do you guys think that the older tricks are as good as the new ones? I'm looking mostly for good card tricks that aren't too hard to perform.
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
'I'm looking mostly for good card tricks that aren't too hard to perform. ' ! - yeah, aren't we all! Smile

Yes, many of the 'older' tricks simply outweigh the new gizmos with class and style!

Some of the new tricks are simply amazing, but if you can learn to take any deck from anyone at any time and do a double lift, a Hindu shuffle and a couple of different 'forces', you're going to have something more valuable. Smile I reckon!
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
DavidSak
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of DavidSak
It seems to me that the most important element in card handling is the shuffling. Where can I learn about different shuffling methods and how to master them?
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Many of the new tricks ARE the older tricks wrapped up in new marketing and usually with a tiny "improvement" to justify their existence.

I still go to the library a couple of times a year and scan the magic section. When I see an unfamiliar book I check it out (sometimes literally) and often find something to add to my knowledge, skill base or act.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Quote:
On 2003-07-04 17:16, DavidSak wrote:
The only problem I can think of with library books is that their books are outdated.

Magic books are never outdated. Period
Quote:
Do you guys think that the older tricks are as good as the new ones?

Absolutely. The Cups and Balls is one of the oldest tricks, if not the oldest, and it still amazes and entertains today.

A side note. When you go to your library don't just look in the adult section. Look in the juvenile collection as well. One library near me has all of the Bill Severn books in the juvenile section.

BTW the Dewey Decimal code for "conjuring" is 793.8
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
Try to find Mark Wilson books, and any other big names you can; this will make sure that you don't waste your time reading through kiddy books. I recommend getting, "Now you see it, now you don't" by Bill Tarr
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Hmmm,

I think you'll find some great stuff in the Kid's section myself! I have found a few gems that you don't get in the adult books! These tricks delight the children and the adults!!

So keep an open mind!

James.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Yes, Mark Wilson and Now You See It, Now You Don't were both available at my library and were very influential on me in my formative years.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
David Sak writes: "Where can I learn about different shuffling methods and how to master them?"

Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book, now in print again, is a gem for that sort of thing.

It was originally written for a lay audience so it assumes NO previous knowledge of anything -- including ungaffed shuffles.

Along with Bobo and Mark Wilson, it's one of the "must have" books on magic (if only for Harry's stories and philosophy).
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The Library is an excellent place to get started in Magic. One book that I think is one of the best is "The Amatetur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay. As far as Magic books being too old, NONSENSE, Magic is as old as man himself and just as in music, a strong foundation of the BASICS (which hasn't changed for hundreds of years) is really necessary if you are going to master the art. Just my two cents worth.
-Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I am a big fan of libraries as a patron as well as a performer.

I consider them as some magicians do restaurant work.

In other words it is a great place to work frequently and get exposure for other gigs.

Working so many library programs helped me
prepare for the strolling Olympics (an informal non IBM sanctioned) event at The 75 Annual IBM convention in Kansas City over the July 4th Holiday week.

I highly recomend the use of ILL or Inter-Library Loan through World Catalog.

I have gotten incredible books.

I am currently rereading Inside Magic by George Boston (???) an Assistant to many of the Greats such as the Thurstons (Harry and Howard)

Remember (as McBride said) to emulate do not imitate.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Library Books.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL