The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Ball DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I enjoyed Steve Dacri's Sponge Ball Toolbox. It has great routines and ideas from several people. I enjoyed watching Darwin on this DVD.
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
323 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
Wow! What a malestrom I started with this Post. I thank all who added their thoughts on this. Very enlightening. As for Books vs DVD's, on my part I value both as each has it's own ups and down's. Seeing someone performing the sleights on a VHS/DVD more info on Routines and basic Tips. The only Sponge Ball DVD that I have is "Sponge" by Jay Noblezada. So I can't compare it with others, but I found it to be very helpful on performing the Sleights, but limited on Routines. Many of you suggested "The Sponge Book" and it arrived yesterday. I haven't read it front to back yet but as being the "Bible" of Sponge work,I haven't seen this to be true yet. Since my interest in Magic started in the late 50's, my "Bible" has been and still is "The Complete Illustrated Book of Close-Up Magic" by Walter B. Gibson. It covers just about every genere in Magic, (well worth getting). Until next Time,Have a Great Day! Mike
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
Quote:
On 2010-11-08 03:29, Bill Palmer wrote:
Bravo! That's the way to do it. Here's the ticket. Learn it the way it's done in the book or on the DVD, just to get the technical part down. Then, when you have it really smooth, put your own twist to it.

That's really the point, here. Folks, it's not a "generational thing," it's a brain function thing. We all have different styles of learning.

Bill, I love magic books, and I buy them. But I find many of them difficult. Frankly, as a writer I've found many magic books and articles terribly written and edited. But beyond that, I learn visually, by seeing things, and kinesthetically, by doing it. That's where your friend doing the lecture missed out. "Is it the capital letters...?" C'mon. Maybe the kid had a learning disability. The appropriate response would have been, "Watch, I'm showing you, just as a DVD" or "follow along with me. Do as I do." It's why they give some kids multiple choice tests, some essay tests and administer some tests orally. We're talking about the same thing here. I also like Bill's example of finding a magician to pair with and learn from -- maybe one who learns better from books. Smile

I've always learned best from attending lectures, watching videos or having other magicians show me. That's why lecturers, local chapters of the IBM and the people behind the counters at magic shops are as valuable as any books. I learned more from spending a few minutes with Ben Stone (mentioned earlier in this topic) than from just about any book. I get more out of Bobo's Coin Magic book, because I've seen Bobo do the moves and was able to go home and immediately practice them.

I love doing sponge balls, because it is magic that happens in your hands. I'd like to see a DVD that provides some different routines that could give me ideas of more to do. Not to copy but to inspire. I agree, however, that we shouldn't watch a video and ape the performer, just as I have never followed the "patter" or routine in the instructions I buy with an over-the-counter trick. But we can watch the DVD with our sponge balls and do it, learning by the experience much easier than from a book.

If there are no good DVDs on sponge balls, obviously, this is a good market for someone on this forum. It will appeal to those of us who learn by watching and doing, instead of reading, then we can take your ideas and, with a little creativity, make them our own. Bill, maybe you could get permission, or work out a royalty schedule, from the owner of the copyright of the sponge ball book to do a video showing some of your favorite moves and routines for all of the visual and kinesthetic learners out there.

And when you do make that DVD, tell me about it. I want to buy it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Ball DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL