The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » No more compromises (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
For as long as you have been doing magic, have you been ok compromising the effect for lack of a method?

Don't you want to perform real magic? Card tricks? Strike vanish? Vernon wand spin? Bobo switch? Or worse (silks, mostly)? I'm so over this. What I envision is incredibly difficult to accomplish, I just have no energy to perform trickery anymore. To fool all magicians!

Who else would do what Christian Bale did in the movie The Prestige? Who would at least build Juan Mayoral's magic wand? Or a select few of Tommy Wonder's pieces, like the card, watch & wallet or the nest of boxes (version 3). A Durania shell.

I'm not just talking practice. I've been practicing finger manipulation for 20 years and there's not much I really cannot do here.

But why can't YOU just close your left hand right now, have a coin materialize in it, and open the hand again. It drives me absolutely crazy... No more funny moves!

Anyone else share that feeling?
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
But you can. At least as far as your audience is concerned.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Hey Chris
I've felt the same thing so I've decided to stock up on wolfs bane and chicken blood.
You know why don't act naive.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Oh God not another one. Conjurers are falling like flies as the delusion of grandeur virus spreads though the land of magic.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
Prestige is just a movie.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Interesting or funny answers.

Thank you Smile
- - -
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
The shuttle pass is maybe the only fair thing in magic. People should only be allowed to use the shuttle pass.
- - -
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 13:28, Chris Becker wrote:
The shuttle pass is maybe the only fair thing in magic. People should only be allowed to use the shuttle pass.

Presto used many other sleights and gaffs and props.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3159 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 10:55, Chris Becker wrote:
For as long as you have been doing magic, have you been ok compromising the effect for lack of a method?

Don't you want to perform real magic? Card tricks? Strike vanish? Vernon wand spin? Bobo switch? Or worse (silks, mostly)? I'm so over this. What I envision is incredibly difficult to accomplish, I just have no energy to perform trickery anymore. To fool all magicians!

Who else would do what Christian Bale did in the movie The Prestige? Who would at least build Juan Mayoral's magic wand? Or a select few of Tommy Wonder's pieces, like the card, watch & wallet or the nest of boxes (version 3). A Durania shell.

I'm not just talking practice. I've been practicing finger manipulation for 20 years and there's not much I really cannot do here.

But why can't YOU just close your left hand right now, have a coin materialize in it, and open the hand again. It drives me absolutely crazy... No more funny moves!

It seems as though you're saying some tools are worse than others. Tools are just tools.

What's more, every strategy has its shortcomings. In order for a strategy NOT to have shortcomings, it would have to be real magic. In figuring out how to deal with the shortcomings of some of the tools you're criticizing above, you can learn how to deal with the shortcomings of every strategy.

Why won't I do some of the things you mentioned? Some of them are gaffed to the point of non-examinability by the audience. To me, that's a major problem, especially because I don't want there to be separation between myself and the audience. If you learn the ability to make the sleight-of-hand a non-moment for the spectator, then you're now clean, and the proof of the guile is eradicated.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9640 Posts

Profile of funsway
Another view might be that pretending to do magic for the benefit of others increases your ability to appreciate magic of a different sort -- "real magic" if you will, found in nature and interactions with others and being open to mysteries without a need for resolution.

Many magicians choose to pretend that "magic" by definitions other than their own does not exist, yet support that magic must occur in the mind of the spectator. Ask a stanger to descrine a "magic" experience and you will find that some fumbled trick by a conjuror is far down the list. When you perform a magic effect well and establish a bonded communication with a spectator you cause him to reflect on all forms of magic in his experience, and though he realizes you are just pretending, he is taken within the joy of previous awe and wonder.

Can you do "real magic?" -- of course.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I share that feeling, Chris. Don't let anyone talk you out of it...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2873 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Well let me try to explain this. You see when you decide to be a magician you also decide to LEARN the art. As you learn more and more the less you are in wonder as to how an effect is done. You basically want to know HOW something is done and then you want to be in wonder when you see it performed. This is but one price we pay to study our art. "With much wisdom comes much sorrow". I am very seldom "tricked" by an effect now a days. But I still enjoy the performance. I used to watch people ride bikes and wonder how they were able to balance themselves on such skinny tires---then I learned to ride a bike. I no longer wondered. It's a trade off. Wonderment for knowledge. Is it worth it? For some yes, for some no.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Eric, it's the difference between being in the audience and being backstage during the show. You choose magic. Now what's left but to bring the best into production and to your audiences? If you want amazement and awe look to nature. Things like gravity. Saying the word does not (as far as has been tried) make things fall up. Funny how we overlook our magical thinking in everyday life. The map is not the terrain. Having a word with which to discuss a model of a thing is not the same as having a word with which to control a thing. Have a look at Gaiman's The Books of Magic for some more fun and perhaps even inspiration.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Gravity is fascinating indeed. Singe most unexplainable thing in physics, from what I've heard ...

Thanks, funsway, for the thought on asking a stranger about a magical experience. I think this could be a really good test if you are indeed able to create the illusion of magic in their minds. It's hard to imagine he'd answer: "Yeah, so, I put back the card, shuffled the deck, and still it popped back up to the top of the deck. That was the most magical thing I've ever seen." or "Oh my god, he ATE those razor blades! That was the most magical thing I've ever seen." Hm ...

Any ideas what an effect or, maybe(?) more importantly, the method, needs to entail to qualify as the spectator's most magical experience ever?

Chris
- - -
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Do Hypnotism Chris.

The closes thing to real Magic there is imho...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Laurent van Trigt
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Laurent van Trigt
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 10:55, Chris Becker wrote:

It's not about not doing the funny moves. It's more about not doing them when everyone is expecting you would. It's also about which moves you pick and how do you put them together within a routine. How are they structured?
What may help in your situation is to actually be fooled. Re-experience that magic moment as if you were a layman. See a real master at work who leaves you with this long lasting magic experience. What makes it different from the other performances?
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
What do you mean by "magical"? What does "most magical experience" mean?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » No more compromises (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL