The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Fear of Reality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Does mankind like illusions because it fears reality?

Could this be the answer to the age question, why are we here? Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
The age question is "Why do you have to be 21 to drink alcohol?"

Did you mean to give a link to an article about escapes as escapism?
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Love and Fear are the only emotions that exist. If we love illusion, it follows, as surely as night follows day, we fear its opposite which is reality. The last thing the magician must offer his audience is any sort of reality if he wants to be loved. The poster, the ticket to the show everything must seem unreal. The magician who acts like an ordinary fellow off the street, well that’s no good at all, as the magician has to be an unreal kinda of fellow. not a real kinda fellow. See these playing cards? They are not real. Watch!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 13:12, tommy wrote:

? can't compare to any other species as we are the only one we know that gets the benefits of "illusions".

IMHO it may the the fear of what comes "after our experience of conscious shared reality" that gives dreams and myth etc their power.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 13:12, tommy wrote:

Another definition twist on "age question" would be that people fear age, and often use illusion to conceal reality. Those too young want to be seen as older, and those with years behind them use a variety of tools and techniques in an illusion to conceal that reality.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Only the young believe the old know better
Only the old envy the time of the young
Only the ill would pretend to be either
Just be

Who is the illusion for? How does it benefit them?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
It's for the them who fear the reality of themselves.

It benefits them by making them feel unreal.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9634 Posts

Profile of funsway
I can also rationally follow that people like to see illusions conguered because they fear illusions -- there is no need to extend to "reality." Anything "unknown" has a certain fear component, which is why we attempt to label, define, limit and categorize phenomena. By pretending to control an illusion a magician gives hope that other illusions can also be controlled. In fact, once man believes that something impossible can be controlled he sets out to find a way to do just that. Throughout history magicians have provided a valuable service of foreshadowing scientific advancement -- of making the unknown real.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
What is it that disappears at the magic moment?

Tommy
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Maya?
Michael Kamen
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-21 18:15, tommy wrote:
What is it that disappears at the magic moment?

If you know it was the magic moment, it must have past, so that must have been the present for who you where then. Smile
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Everything?
Michael Kamen
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 17:44, funsway wrote:
I can also rationally follow that people like to see illusions conguered because they fear illusions -- there is no need to extend to "reality." Anything "unknown" has a certain fear component, which is why we attempt to label, define, limit and categorize phenomena.

I'm not so sure this applies to the creator of the illusion. People create illusions of themselves in lieu of their own reality. I think many fear their own reality, and therefore seek comfort in the illusion. Ironically, many of them hone their illusions with the aid of mirrors. Apparently, we haven't exactly cornered that market as professed magicians.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

Magic is not real. Magic is what makes real disappear. When reality disappears you are in heaven, you are in a state of love. An illusion is a little piece of heaven. Reality is hell on earth. Magicians conjure up a dream and a dream is anything but reality as we all know. Free your mind. What is freedom?

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 8:20am
"What is the phobia for fear of reality?

I haven't seen referenced any specific name for "fear/phobia of reality". However, the good news is no one stops you from "inventing" it, the way the other phobias' names (and many, many other words) were invented.

The most common way of naming a phobia is to use the Greek word naming the object of that phobia and the -phobia suffix.
Greek for reality being ðñáãìáôéêüôçôá (transliterated pragmatikoteta), and for real, ðñáãìáôéêÞ (transliterated pragmatike), you can safely use pragmatophobia to name the "fear of reality".

As an alternative, the Latin words for the object of the "fear" have been used...
From that point of view, you could use realitophobia (coming from the Medieval Latin word realitas, initially a juridic term for "real estate", derived from the Latin word res, a generic term roughly equivalent to "thing/things"). But that sounds a little too "plain" if you ask me.
LE:

Ups, I just found out the word "pragmatophobia" was used by the Polish philosopher Zygmund Zawirski in the very title of one of his books, Symbolomania and Pragmatophobia.

And, as a personal note: I took "fear of reality" not in the sense of actual fear/terror (like arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, for instance), but to mean the denial of reality, hiding from it, the unwillingness to acknowledge certain aspects pertaining to reality."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_ph......_reality

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9634 Posts

Profile of funsway
FROZEN DREAMS

"to sleep, perchance to dream …"
muses the bard of yesterday,
a foreshadowing then --
but a memory now more real than tomorrow.

My aching joints and gristled brow
may dream of days of prancing youth,
and idle hours by a stream,
and entrancing verities.

But why ???
at a nonce I can conjure up THEN
more suredly than WHEN,
and freeze it in form
and emotion --
relived and cherished,
for contemplation.

'tis said, "If I knew then what I know now,"
as a whimsical diversion,
when you can be THEN,
again and again,
for that is where wisdom comes.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

It seems to me people simply like illusion, deception, fantasy, fiction and all of that.
Many people like fantasy on TV and don’t like watching anything real at all like a documentary or whatever.
Especially if its a little gloomy as reality is.
The answer to the age old question of why are we here, why do magicians exist, is to provide illusion.
When a kid has a bad dream, we say, “Don’t worry, its only a dream, it can’t hurt you.”
So the kid grows up learning that reality can hurt him but dreams can’t and so he seeks illusions. What else would drive people to seek illusions if not the fear of reality?
The magician, the artist, the book writer, the story teller, the poet and so on, all provide a magic carpet upon which people can fly away from the reality which they fear.
If you want to scare yourself then look into the mirror. Smile

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

About fifty years ago
Form took flight from function
To build itself a new glimmering world
Of freshly minted words and fractal detailed images.

Form has since been adopting the unwary
To live in a virtual paradise
Where the lost can share the dreams of the venal
And the wise are only seen from afar outside.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
People sometimes use the safety of illusions to scare themselves. Horror movies are proof of this. People do not always knowingly gravitate toward illusion on TV. Many of them believe that "reality" TV is real. News programs have realized that even their "truth" can be made desirable when packaged in an intertaining manner. Celebrity gossip shows are very popular, as well. Many people believe these to be more reality than not.

Many magicians are the victims of self-delusion. They look into their own mirrors and see Criss Angel, or David Copperfield, etc. It takes many of them a long time before they see the reality and not the illusion created in their own minds.

Fantasy takes one to a safer place. Illusion is not always doing the same.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes.

Recently I was trying to think up a plot for a card trick. It occurred to me that: The Angels riding bikes on the back of Bicycle Playing Cards could represent Hells Angels in the Pack and all of that. There is more than likely one already based on that.. However, as I researched this, as I played with the idea, I came across this review of a book on Hells Angels, which is relevant to all of this, I think:

Hell's Angels: a strange and terrible saga
Hunter S. Thompson

Modern Library, 1999 - Language Arts & Disciplines - 265 pages

Hell's Angels" was Hunter Thompson's first book, an account of the year that the reporter spent riding with the biker gang, then the very symbol of dangerous counterculture. After writing a piece on the Heirs Angels and other cycle gangs for The Nation, Thompson signed a contract with Ballantine and spent time with "as many vicious thugs as possible." His involvement ended on Labor Day 1966 when a group of Angels "stomped" Thompson, nearly kicking him to death. "Far from being freaks, the Hell's Angels are a logical product of the culture that now claims to be shocked by their existence. The generation represented by the editors of Time has lived so long in a world full of celluloid outlaws hustling toothpaste and hair oil that it is no longer capable of confronting the real thing. For twenty years they have sat with their children and watched yesterday's outlaws raise hell with yesterday's world...and now they are bringing up children who think Jesse James is a television character." "California, Labor Day weekend . . . early, with ocean fog still in the streets, outlaw motorcyclists wearing chains, shades and greasy Levis roll out from damp garages, all-night diners and cast-off one-night pads in Frisco, Hollywood, Berdoo and East Oakland, heading for the Monterey peninsula, north of Big Sur. . . The Menace is loose again." Thus begins Hunter S. Thompson's vivid account of his experiences with California's most no-torious motorcycle gang, the Hell's Angels. In the mid-1960s, Thompson spent almost two years living with the controversial An-gels, cycling up and down the coast, reveling in the anarchic spirit of their clan, and, as befits their name, raising hell. His book successfully captures a singular moment in American history, when the biker lifestyle was first defined, and when such countercultural movements were electrifying and horrifying America. Thompson, the creator of Gonzo journalism, writes with his usual bravado, energy, and brutal honesty, and with a nuanced and incisive eye; as The New Yorker pointed out, "For all its uninhibited and sardonic humor, Thompson's book is a thoughtful piece of work." As illuminating now as when originally published in 1967, Hell's Angels is a gripping portrait, and the best account we have of the truth behind an American legend.

http://books.google.co.uk/books

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9634 Posts

Profile of funsway
Presentation is a major part of the effectiveness of a magic performance, and a single effect can be presented in many different ways. In order for magic to occur in the mind of the spectator, however, two different Presentations must be made. One is a Presentation of Expectation and Promise; the other is a Presentation of Explicit Result. In other terms, we create a logical path that suggests one result, then produce another unexpected one. The senses and emotions are thrown into discordance and the mind seeks resolution – but finding none applies the label “magic” as we were taught in our youth.

The word “illusion” is often used to describe this event, but consider which Presentation is “real” and which the “fiction.” Spectators see two balls where only one was previously. Their expectation of there being only one ball has been proved false, while the impossible result of two balls is now very real. They may muse on HOW this event came to be, but the existence of two balls is not an illusion.

Tommy would have us believe that Reality and Illusion or opposites in some way with “fear” being the transitional element. This example illustrates that these terms as just a matter of perspective, and that the performer only offers an alternative Reality or an alternative Illusion.

Fear may be the opposite of “love,” but I don’t believe the extension works here.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Fear of Reality (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL