The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Play Dead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I predict raves and the show moves to the Helen Hayes in 2011.

My oh my...here is a rave already...
http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?option......emid=187
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Unless people are beating down the doors to get tickets, I think that the Players Theatre will be our home for the run of the show. Though the Helen Hayes would be a five minute walk from my home, so that would be nice.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Break a Leg Todd!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Just waiting for Todd and Teller to bring this out to San Francisco!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
NYTIMES
Gleeful Gore at Players Theater
http://theater.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/th......ref=arts

Congratulations Mr. Robbins!
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
L.A. !
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Got a great seat for Tuesday night next week! Can't wait to see it.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Does this play have anything at all to do with ghost shows?

The only reason I ask is that someone was telling me about the director's notes in the Playbill (this person had not seen the show), and he said they were talking all about midnight ghost shows. That's the reason I was asking the question.

Thanks,

Gerry
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Check the website, Gerry. You'll find all the show-specific background that's available. They shouldn't give it all away, should they?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
TERRIFIC show last night Todd! My daughter was the "youngster" in one of the front rows who got to examine your light bulb. Truly loved every moment of the show - was obvious how much time went into thinking through even the little things. I think everyone on this thread can learn from how you and Teller weaved the magic into the respective stories in a way that the focus wasn't on the trick - you made it all too easy to suspend believe and enter your wicked world.

Thanks for making us feel so alive for an evening!
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
214 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
One of the glowing reviews. Too bad it was in such a small paper: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424......396.html
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2010-11-14 15:29, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Does this play have anything at all to do with ghost shows?

The only reason I ask is that someone was telling me about the director's notes in the Playbill (this person had not seen the show), and he said they were talking all about midnight ghost shows. That's the reason I was asking the question.

Thanks,

Gerry

Gerry,
As I understand it, Play Dead has many elements in it including a bit of ghost show, seance, ghost stories, Grand Guignol, talking to the dead and a bunch of other stuff. I haven't seen it either.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Todd, it's too bad you have to work, every time it's playing.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
It's hardly work.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Todd- I attended tonight's performance, and even got to participate (I was the John you called onstage with "Nicholas"). Your performance, and the script, and the staging were truly spectacular. I've not seen any work quite like it, and it was incredibly engaging for everyone in the theater. I traveled from San Diego to see this, and was delighted I did so. Anyone who has any interest in having a great interactive experience in the theater should run to see this.

John
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Thank you John for the nice words. It was a strange night tonight with many, many technical isssues AND bringing an undercover cop up for psychic surgery. When the lights came back on, his gun was gone. It turned out he had stuck it down the back of his trousers, but it gave me a bit of a start when I saw it missing.

It is never a dull moment with this show.
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of silking
I saw the show in Vegas and one of the best shows I have seem in a long time it was GREAT.If you have a chance to see it - DON'T MISS IT.!!!!

Silking
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Silking,
I hope you get a chance to see it again in its final resting place. Play Dead is a very different experience now.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Play Dead is a show where seemingly disparate themes are tied together, and desperate characters are portrayed by personal effects in boxes.

The set is exactly what it should be...no fluffy Disneyish cr*p, just what's necessary. The illusion work is brilliant, even more so because the stage environment is, let us politely say, quite inadequate.

One of the keys for success, with "variety" entertainment, is having a script that allows the performer to shine through, as a quirky individual. Todd shines, and it's not because he wears a white suit (yes, Todd in a white coat, because he's come to take YOU away!).

I'm looking forward to seeing it again, and again, and again. The skeleton of the show is solid. The muscles and connective tissue are filling out. The nuances that are now sprouts, will become truly delicious fruit over time.

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Thanks Harley. It was great seeing you. And how great was hanging out with Johnny Gaughan? Him saying that the show fooled him was one of the sweetest things I have heard in a long time.

And I like this too:
http://newyork.timeout.com/sex-dating/591953/great-dates

If that link violates some Café rules, I apologize.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Play Dead (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL