We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Independent Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Is there any magic trick out there that one can do without explicitly having a spectator. One example is the levitating tie. Another example is airborne soda. You can be doing these things without necessarily anyone explicitly looking at the trick, but a casual glance at what you are doing will attract people to you. Any more ideas on these kinds of tricks which I am calling "independent magic"? These are tricks where you don't have to say to someone, "can I show you a magic trick?". Thanks.

Regards,
Mike
Steven70s
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
181 Posts

Profile of Steven70s
Self Tying Shoelace Smile
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
All manipulation magic...

JH
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Just wondering why anyone other than a "busker" (professional street performer for those who are unfamiliar with the term) would either be interested in such an effect or would consider accosting strangers and asking to show them "a trick." IMO real performers are hired to "show people tricks" they don't have to ask people if they'd like to see one. Even serious amateurs and hobbyists have the good sense to perform when asked and not to impose themselves on the unsuspecting. The most polite word that comes to mind to describe the latter is "annoying."

IMO the only justifiable exception to the foregoing is when asking friends, family or one's pals at the magic club to critique one's performance of a new effect. But then I tend to take what we do more seriously than some others.
Dick Christian
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-08-24 09:51, Dick Christian wrote:
Just wondering why anyone other than a "busker" (professional street performer for those who are unfamiliar with the term) would either be interested in such an effect or would consider accosting strangers and asking to show them "a trick." IMO real performers are hired to "show people tricks" they don't have to ask people if they'd like to see one. Even serious amateurs and hobbyists have the good sense to perform when asked and not to impose themselves on the unsuspecting. The most polite word that comes to mind to describe the latter is "annoying."

IMO the only justifiable exception to the foregoing is when asking friends, family or one's pals at the magic club to critique one's performance of a new effect. But then I tend to take what we do more seriously than some others.


You answered your own question, it is for busking... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-08-24 09:51, Dick Christian wrote:
Just wondering why anyone other than a "busker" (professional street performer for those who are unfamiliar with the term) would either be interested in such an effect or would consider accosting strangers and asking to show them "a trick." IMO real performers are hired to "show people tricks" they don't have to ask people if they'd like to see one. Even serious amateurs and hobbyists have the good sense to perform when asked and not to impose themselves on the unsuspecting. The most polite word that comes to mind to describe the latter is "annoying."

IMO the only justifiable exception to the foregoing is when asking friends, family or one's pals at the magic club to critique one's performance of a new effect. But then I tend to take what we do more seriously than some others.


You ever hear of David Blaine?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-08-24 07:53, insight wrote:
Is there any magic trick out there that one can do without explicitly having a spectator. One example is the levitating tie. Another example is airborne soda. You can be doing these things without necessarily anyone explicitly looking at the trick, but a casual glance at what you are doing will attract people to you. Any more ideas on these kinds of tricks which I am calling "independent magic"? These are tricks where you don't have to say to someone, "can I show you a magic trick?". Thanks.

Regards,
Mike


Lately, I've been having tons of fun with this:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=210&37

And Peter Loughran's "Anything Floats" fits the bill, nicely, too.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
First, "insight" didn't make it clear that his search was associated with busking; however, because it might have been I specifically exempted busking from my criticism.

Quote:
On 2010-08-24 11:37, daffydoug wrote:

You ever hear of David Blaine?


Of course I've heard of David Blaine. However, in one respect, namely that he has encouraged newbies and wannabes who fail to understand that his street performances are carefully planned and orchestrated situations and hardly the truly "impromptu" or "extemporaneous" events they appear to be to give magic a bad name by engaging in what I call "guerrilla magic," he might be considered one of the worst influences on magic in recent memory.
Dick Christian
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Self tying shoelace needs someone to watch really, or point it out.

Flying things would be good for me. If I want people to watch a card trick, maybe if I'm standing with a flying card people will come up to me.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I've done fairs, walkaround gigs and cocktail parties with this exact approach...

Early at the event start, rather than just walk up to someone, I will perform some flourishes in a highly visible area there, almost Stage Manipulation style, "silently announcing" that there is a Magician performing here today...

It does make it easier to approach people after that.

Just from my performing experience.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Independent Magic (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL