The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Outside IN (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Thank you Cardguy and everyone else with positive comments.
As the title implies, this effect was designed for the real world, not for television or video or such. I put up a video demo so people could understand the effect and see if its "not for them", because I do care about my reputation and my customers and I understand that this effect is not for everyone. I don't want to sell anyone anything that they won't use. As all the customers at my magic shop understand, I refuse to sell garbage or to lie to people to make a sale. I am sure that if I hadn't put up a video demo I may have sold twice as many of these already, but I would have disappointed a lot of people. That is something I seriously try to avoid.
Again, this wasn't created for TV or Video. We all know how bad a top change looks on video and how great it can be in the real world.
This effect was created for real people who have no idea what is about to happen and the all of the sudden BAM!!! the card is falling thru the glass and landing at their feet.
Just my thoughts,
Brent Braun
http://www.braunmagic.com
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
This effect was created for real people who have no idea what is about to happen and the all of the sudden BAM!!! the card is falling thru the glass and landing at their feet.

That's it. And I wasn't sure what was going to happen and so I was able to see the illusion and I was fooled badly the first two times. It's easy to use the play button again to "dissect" the trick. Try that in the REAL WORLD with no fixed frame on the performer. But this is the same story again and again. If you find it expensive then do not buy it. There will be only 100 of these so we cannot all buy it.

I think it was nice of Brent to put a video online so that we can examine the trick and decide whether it's for us or not, without any edting and whatsoever. He could have just put an ad and that's it. But he respects us. We should all thank him instead of using the demo to criticise so openly something we do not like. What we do not like, someone else might enjoy.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh. Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
I watched this effect several times. It was Vanilla ice cream, nothing to get excited about. Perhaps it was the way you dressed. It looked like you just crawled out of bed.
The overall idea is nice, that's MHO.
Lo_Key
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Hey, Pal, er, Talisman:

I beg to differ. This is an excellent, IMPROMPTU, version of Card Through Glass.

Since you haven't purchased the routine, read the instructions, examined the gaffs, or tried the routine, your pronouncement is both strident and premature.

If you had held back until you had more information, you would have found out that the card is examinable before and after the effect and that the routine can be done in a teeshirt and the hands are examinable afterwards. What more do you want for an (did I already mention this?) IMPROMPTU version of the genre?

Maybe we should wait for more testimony from those who actually purchase and perform the routine...

Steve H Smile Smile Smile Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Anthony Miller
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Anthony Miller
Excuse me,
I have refrained from commenting on this because Brent said a good thing about my effect Trashed!

But this is getting silly. This is an ingenious effect.

If you don't like it that's one thing, but don't criticize it without buying it. This effect is a perfect walk around piece of strangeness. And if you don't have the imagination to see what other uses it can be put to, too bad. That will leave more people for us to wow with it!
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
I agree. This does look amazing. The fact that its IMPROMPTU and the card can be EXAMINED is a BIG plus!

Great Job Brent!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Anthony Miller writes "Brent said some good things about my effect 'Trashed".

Well Anthony, I also think Brent's effect is excellent however, this is a open forum and people have the right to express their opinions.
Brent in the past has made many negative posts about things he did not like. He bashed me for using the word RAPE and took it totaly out of context.
So if you and Brent or who ever does not like to here negative comments TOO BAD.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
lithis
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of lithis
Thank you Vinny. A dose of reality was definitely in order.
Anthony Miller
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Excuse me Vin, but you misrepresented what I said. Starting off with the first line...
" Brent said some good things about my effect "Trashed"
I meant that I did not want to comment on his effect because I didn't want people to think that I was complimenting his effect because he said something nice about mine. I do reviews on a regular basis in Channel One magazine. Some are good, some are terrible. But I speak my honest opinion. I have nothing against that. But raking an effect over the coals without owning it is not right in my opinion. As to whatever the issues you and Brent have outside of his new effect, that is none of my business. But it sounds as if they are not good. My comments were simply directed at those who critcize without actual knowledge of the issue at hand.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Anthony I apologize to you. I have nothing against Brent. As I said this is an excellent effect.
My statement was that Brent has made comments in the past and he bashed me about using the word Rape and it made him upset. Therefore Brent should not get upset if some one dislikes his latest effect.
I happen to like the effect.
PS you can always go back and read past posts.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Anthony Miller
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

No offense taken, none offered. I am sorry to hear that there is a situation between you. But if it makes you feel any better, We here in Ohio were without power for quite a while. No lights makes it hard to paint flies for my trash cans! Have a good day...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Anthony, sorry to here about the power problem, that's why I moved to the west coast plenty of ocean breeze.
Also believe me I don't have a problem with anyone on this site. I just made a statement that was true.

vinny
PS No one should say negative things about a product without first trying the product first, I believe this.
Come check out my magic.

Redneck
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redneck
Quote:
On 2003-07-07 00:20, shane wrote:
You guys crack me up "hoping its more". What do you want, a glass door?
I hate seeing people say that an effect looks great but it's too expensive. Is it really or are they just too poor?
Well I already ordered my copy of this "great effect" Of course I also drive a Cadillac not a Toyota.Smile
Shane

I don't mean any harm, but it's funny that you make a comparison with a Cadillac (your choice) & a Toyota. Car & Driver studies show that the Toyota is less expensive but more dependable than your Cadillac. Again, reference the thumbtip, affordable and awesome all at once. So if you were trying to make a point in favor of paying MORE than what something is WORTH, I'm not sure the creator of this effect would think that you are helping much! Smile

Also, being "just to poor" as you put it is usually the state someone is in after buying things that had costs, but little worth. See ya!
MagicNut
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of MagicNut
I think it's funny how people flame other people for knocking a trick before they even buy it. So isn't true you shouldn't praise an effect unless you bought it and tried it out?

Ok, for everyone who has already flamed, did you buy this effect? If not then how can you attack someone who hasn't seen the effect and doesn't say good things about it?

Also I have a hunch a few clever guys on this board have probably guessed how it's done and have already thought of ways to reproduce this effect so that they don't have to spend the money to perform it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OK Mr. Braun. Here is the best way to take the heat off. Fedex a video and the actual props/instructions, etc. to the most respected reviewer in Magic, Mike Close. We'll see what he says and then decide.

Fair?

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
Quote:
On 2003-07-10 01:36, MagicNut wrote:

I think it's funny how people flame other people for knocking a trick before they even buy it. So isn't true you shouldn't praise an effect unless you bought it and tried it out?

Ok for everyone who has already flamed did you buy this effect? If not then how can you attack someone who hasn't seen the effect and doesn't say good things about it?

Also I have a hunch a few clever guys on this board have probably guessed how it's done and have already thought of ways to reproduce this effect so that don't have to spend the money to perform it.

MagicNut,

When we praised it, we didn't say "ITS AWESOME. WORTH THE PRICE! I RECOMMEND IT!"

All we said is "It looks good!" Now, one could also say "It doesn't LOOK very impressive". There is a big difference between these comments and the ones in the first part of my post.

Also, it isn't right to reproduce the effect. Even though it may be pricey for some, its still not fair to the creator.

Thanks.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2003-07-10 01:36, MagicNut wrote:

Ok for everyone who has already flamed did you buy this effect? If not then how can you attack someone who hasn't seen the effect and doesn't say good things about it?

I see so many posts saying how we shouldn't be so negative about an effect without buying it. How can we look at something and make a judgement when we haven't bought it and done it on laymen?

How many people watch trailers for movies and don't go see it because they know it is not going to be any good? Do you *have* to buy a ticket and sit through the movie to prove what you already know? Others may tell you that it is good, but you know if it is any good or not for you.

I will not be buying this trick for my own reasons. These may be different to other people's reasons. "You can't say it isn't any good until you buy it and try it". If this is the case, if someone buys it, tries it on lay people and gets caught out every time, does that person get a refund?
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Talisman
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Talisman
The problems with this effect are way more serious than "will they catch me ?". For me this wasn't even the issue.

Talisman , Israel
shane
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of shane
Jon, After purchasing your trick "double back" I got caught eveytime I did it. Where should I send it for my refund?
Also about the "destination box"; great effect, but I can build the props for less than 5 dollars, Why the high price and shouldn't I just build one myself to save me the cash, because after watching it on video 7 times the method really is obvious.
That seems to be what everyone here are suggesting. Isn't this getting ridiculous?
Also about the movie analogy. I don't think I will like the new HULK movie so I simply havent seen it. But I will not say "it isn't worth the price" as I don't know. Not for me yes but overpriced?
Hmmmmmm I can download the HULK movie for free at home and view it thru the internet then I don't have to risk my money. I will just steal it, that sounds good, because hey its not be worth the $7.50 the theater wants for it.
When will this madness stop!
SHANE
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2003-07-10 10:37, shane wrote:
Jon, After purchasing your trick "double back" I got caught eveytime I did it. Where should I send it for my refund?

If I have personally sold you a Double Back and you think the trick is flawed, hence you keep getting caught, then I will refund you your money. If you have bought it and through your own ability are unable to get the reactions possible, that is not my fault.

[quote] Also about the "destination box"; great effect, but I can build the props for less than 5 dollars, Why the high price and shouldn't I just build one myself to save me the cash, because after watching it on video 7 times the method really is obvious.
[quote]I didn't mention the price of the Outside IN. However, you can build something to do the job of the Destination Box but it will look like a $5 item. The full price you pay is not for the materials. Anyway, how would you know what to do if I hadn't created it? How much would you pay for that?

A man spends a week trying to find the problem with his car. In the end he gives up and phones the local mechanic. The mechanic turns up, spends a minute looking into the problem then goes to the engine and tightens a screw. The car works perfectly. He gives an invoice to the man for $75. "That's outrageous!! You're charging me $75 for tightening a screw?!?!" The mechanic says, "I'm charging you $75 for *knowing* I had to tighten the screw."

I once paid $15.00 for a trick and all I got was a tiny bit of Fun Tac and the instructions for doing the simple trick. Did I feel cheated? No. I hadn't paid for the Fun Tac. I paid for the knowledge that the creator of the effect was willing to pass on to me. Sometimes this is all you pay for; sometimes you will pay for a great prop and sometimes it's both.

If Outside IN is a great routine that is workable, all the information provided gives you the necessary handling tips etc and any gimmicks are well made, then $75 is not much to pay.

The question that is being raised on here is whether the routine itself is actually workable, justifying the $75.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Outside IN (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL