The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Novel about magic or a magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I also vote for shadowland buy Peter Struab excellent stuff if you like ghost/horror stories. Plays on what I think is a secret belief or fantasy in most youg people starting magic. That there may in fact be a "real" magic is you know who to teach you or reach a certainl level of excellence
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
To either magicians or laymen. Magican and the card sharp. my most fav book
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Not exactly about a magician, but close enough: "The Hand of Mary Constable" by Paul Gallico. It's a fun read. Another of his books, "Too Many Ghosts" stars the same character and gets into a lot of "magic" as used in fake spiritualism.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Wow, I'm surprised I'm casting the first vote for it. Sol Stein's "The Magician."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3190 Posts

Profile of gaddy
One of my favorites (that has not already been mentioned) is "The Magician Of Lublin" by Isaac Bashevis Singer.

This novel achieves a very curious atmosphere of both lightheartedness and existentialism, the likes of which I've rarely encountered by any author.

Somehow, this books manages to subvert social mores without insulting them, and gives a visceral feel to 19th century Poland. Singer also makes characters, that are in essence quite cartoonish, seem very real.

This book will challenge you and make you think.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3190 Posts

Profile of gaddy
For "non-fiction" I'd suggest: "Sorcerer's Apprentice" by Tahir Shah. Basically a travelogue about magic in India, in which a man's journey -looking for a conjurer who appeared to his family when he was a child, taught him some magic and delivered a warning, is cataloged.

Shah later learns about buskers, illusionists and con-men, who practice the artifices of magic throughout India today (as of the 90's, anyhow...)

A good, lively, non-fiction read; but the truthfulness of the account should be taken with a grain of salt.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Always preferred non-fiction when it comes to reading about magicians. Most of them have lives more interesting than what you could make up.

The Magician and the Card Sharp is definately a recommended read. I'm also working on The Glorious Deception- I need to finish it one of these days, it's still sitting on my nightstand.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
The Magician and the Card Sharp was good. As was the Glorious Deception. Carter Beats the Devil was alright, but not my favorite.
I also liked the Secret Life of Houdini.
There was another one... The Vanishing Elephant? I think that's what it was called. That one was really good, even though the author jumps on the whole 'Houdini sucked' bandwagon, which I don't really cotton to. Otherwise, it was a phenomenal book.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 16:25, todsky wrote:
Speaking of Canadians, we mustn't forget the classic Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies, especially the third installment 'World of Wonders', starring Magnus Eisengrim.

What kind of dumass name is that?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
I will save you all some trouble and recommend that you pass up 'The magician's wife', a terrible book that I read because I was after the girl who recommended it.
Sort of about Jean Robert-Houdin as told by his whiny wife. Just dreadful.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
The Prestige, far superior to the movie, as most books are. Definitely read it. Close second Carter Beats the Devil.
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
I'd recommend The Magician's Wife - written by a superb author, Brian Moore.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Novel about magic or a magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL