The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » How to Fairly Advertise Your Product to the Magic Community (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I'll get this thread started with what I'd like to see from now on:

1) You may open your online trailer with clips of reactions from spectators / participants to pique my interest.
2) You may show a few edited moments of the effect to further create interest.
3) You will quickly proceed to show a performance IN ITS ENTIRETY, without cutting away, exactly as a skeptical and sharp-minded audience would see it.
4) You will not expose the method of your effect in a place where the general public can see such exposure.
5) You will not wear your hat backwards, you fool.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
While I agree mostly...

Numbers 3 and 4 could clash in actual practise...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Hat? What hat? Where can I learn about hats? Can you please be more specific and post a youtube link please.

Also, I bought a beeny hat which has no front or back. I heard LOTH has an, as yet, unrelased version of hat which is brilliant.

In all seriousness though - I'll just settle for an honest bit of blurb and reputation to buy something. Let me down or BS me and I won't be buying from you again.

That's what I do Smile
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1923 Posts

Profile of Lior
Doesn' work for some of my effects.
The mobile opener and the big Trivia are to easy to do if you see the clip.
So there are some expetions

Lior
can buy the selfie card trick only from me
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T23-WDXdiTrD0TpmGeIr8wNYrpGS-mf7/view
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
1. Release the effect to a few select people and a few random ones. Ask them to be honest.

2. Wait for the joy or the wrath of both and let word of mouth sell your effect if it's good or not if it isn't good

3. End

Bev

PS Quick guide on how to make me NOT buy your effect - create a video with creepy music which is 99% words fading in and out really slowly telling me how great or spooky it is and how people are going to be fried
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Brilliant! Smile
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Forget the video altogether. Simply provide an ACCURATE description of the effect and its real world limitations/applicability (i.e., angle restrictions, does or does not require assistant, re-set, repeatable for same audience, suitable for stage, close-up, one-on-one, etc.) and, without revealing the "secret," honestly indicate what is NOT involved (i.e., threads, magnets, etc.), be willing to provide additional information or answer questions via PM. Those who have learned enough to understand should be able to know whether or not they have the experience and skills required to handle the effect. Those who lack the knowledge to understand what is involved are probably not experienced enough to handle it and shouldn't consider buying it.

Of course the foregoing presumes that the seller's motivation is to further the art and not simply to maximize sales.

I realize that this is probably little more than wishful thinking and bears little relationship to the real world of magic today.
Dick Christian
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2010-08-27 06:10, Lior wrote:
Doesn' work for some of my effects.
The mobile opener and the big Trivia are to easy to do if you see the clip.
So there are some expetions

Lior

That's fair, and if I read that on your site (along with the happy testimonials of those I trust), I'd be satisfied. The Mobile Opener is one of those things I keep meaning to buy, because I did read lots of those happy testimonials from real performers.

James, I love your video and I've seen your product up close. I like it a lot.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1934 Posts

Profile of ted french
I can agree with most of the opening points but I don't get the hat thing or am I not picking up that it's a joke?

Do you have an example of an effect that does not use a gimmick that has a good demo based on your criteria?
P3
practice practice perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » How to Fairly Advertise Your Product to the Magic Community (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL