The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Performing magic for psychiatric patients (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
459 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Hello everyone,

Tomorrow I have a chance to perform magic for the patients in the psychiatric ward.
It's the first time for me so I'm excited.
But I'm wondering what kind of magic should I perform?
Or what should I be aware of?
Because there are some patients with delusion and hallucination, I don't know that if they will become more severe after seeing my performance.
Am I think too much?
Sincerely request your advice.

Luc
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3652 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Ask the staff, who they think can handle it.

Then, just work your repertoire avoiding anything that suggests mind reading or true "God like" powers. Just keep it fun and entertaining.

- Mary Mowder
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1556 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Definitely avoid mentalism and anything with knives.

Also I'd recommend avoiding audience participation. Just put on a show.

Mike
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
An illusion of magic can be scary to those that don’t know it's an illusion but when they know its just an illusion, a trick, it doesn’t freak them out. So I would start by exposing a simple trick to make sure they get the idea..
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I'd assume that, if it were a danger, the shrinks'n'staff (A good name for a snack food, now that I think about it) wouldn't have booked you or would've given you some guidelines beforehand.

-Philip
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Probably should avoid any kind of pyro work!

Don't tip the straight jacket escape! Smile

MMc
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Treat them like any other audience, you will probably not notice any difference from a non psychiatric audiences. I do shows in mental institutions all the time, in fact I met my wife in a mental institution, perhaps you have heard of her Loraina Bobbit.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I heard you met her on the main drag in town. She cut you off in traffic. (rimshot)

-Philip
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I would NOT do magic in this venue without the consent and/or advice from the staff. You would be amazed at how fast someone who can react in a situation like this can move.

Be very careful. Best,
Brad Burt
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Guy gets a flat and pulls over next to the fence of the State Insane Asylum. He starts changing the tire and notices one of the patients staring at him through the fence. He gets the flat off, puts the spare on the hub, but just then, he knocks over the hub cap, sending all five lug nuts into the long grass.

The patient watches him searching, and after several minutes, he can only find one of the missing lug nuts.

The patient clears his throat and says, "Hey!" The man tries to ignore him.

"Hey! Why don't you just use the one lug nut you found and take another from each of the other tires? That will give you four on each wheel -- it should be enough to get you to a parts store."

The man thinks and then looks at the patient admiringly. "Thank you. That's a wonderful idea."

The patient, turning away, says, "Well, I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Performing magic for psychiatric patients (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL