The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » In the beginning. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nyphoebe
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of nyphoebe
I've noticed most of the major contraptions for stage magic are too expensive and some not affordable at all,what's your strategy from that point? do you buy books explaining how to build and proceed from there? any ideas.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
When I was a poor junior high and highschool kid my strategy was to shop carefully with the guidance of a good Brick and Mortar store. Zombies were expensive, but my "miracle ball' cost my $5.00 I think and I got a lot of usage otu of it. Most production boxes are expensive, but my Temple production screen was inexpensive and packed a good punch for the money I spent on it.

I only ever had two "stage illusions", as opposed to stage-capable parlor tricks. I built both of those myself from cardboard boxes with instructions from a little pamphlet called "victory cartons."

I also built other props. I had a double-fold newspaper I built myself from two NY Times' and white glue. I wrote "Six of clubs" on one side fo it in purposefully gloppy and drippy white poster paint. I'd force the card, then do the reveal by using my milk pitcher and that newspaper.

The most expensive prop I probably owned during that period was my (original Dai Vernon hand-made) sucker sliding die box. I bought that used for a fraction of its new cost.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Check out Andrew Mayne's DVDs. He has several make-it-yourself DVDs that are very affordable.
http://www.andrewmayne.com/shop
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
In case he doesn't stick his nose in here... Spellbinder also has a lot of pamphlets on easy home-project versions of stage illusions.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Learn the Linking Rings.
Do some Mental Magic.
Look into Silks.
Check out Rope Magic.

You won't be sorry.

- Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » In the beginning. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL