The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Figure/puppet storage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I'm curious to know where you guys and gals store your figures and/or puppets between gigs. Are they in their travel cases, sitting around, hanging on walls, etc?

I tend to take mine out of the cases and have them sit out (I have a little room for them). That is, when I'm not so lazy I leave them in their cases.

Bob
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Mostly I leave mine in the cases. If I leave 'em out for a few days I need t'dust 'em.
They sneeze and complain.

-Philip
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Unless I am working on something new with a figure or puppet, it stays in the case. The only time I let them sit out otherwise is when a soft figure needs to dry out. (Humidity or sweat from a performance.)
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Always in their cases...
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
I have more puppets than I know what to do with. When I'm doing regular kids parties it's fine, my new dragon and my axtell parrot come with me the rest are in various trunks and really useful cases. My problem is I have to keep swopping the puppets if I end up doing walk about or an educational show or maybe an adult cabaret. I only have one set of travelling cases. I have puppets stored in the garage, in the front room, in my bedroom. I soon lose track of where they all are.
What do you think, more storage or less puppets?
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Colin..I have two or three trunks that I use with various shows. My school show is in one (puppets), and a second trunk has my family, just-for fun show in it. I usually do one of the other of these shows and I move the trunk in and out according to what the venue calls for. I have a special, non-kiddie typle trunk that was custom-made for my adult banquet tyoe shows. As for storage of a soft pupet, it's better to store the puppets (according to Mary Ann Taylor of MAT Puppets) in a pillow case or cotton bag instead of plastic to keep them clean while traveling or for storage in a trunk. The chemicals in the plastic bags (whether dry cleaners bags or large trash type bags) can actually do damage to the materials in the soft puppets. If you have a "hard figure" (one made of wood or composition) it's recommended to wrap the head in a cotton towel or better yet, one of the padded head bags that were made for vent figures.

I also enjoyed you comments on the "little darlings" thread about children's entertainers in the US and Great Britain.

Mark

Mark Wade-Ventriloquist
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Unless I have to clean or rehearse with the puppet, I keep them in their respective travel cases ready for the next show.
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Maybe I have too many options so I keep swopping puppets. I want to find a way of transporting my dragon so he can have his own box. He's the star!
My kids show is Worbey Dragon and Axtell parrot, Skunk.
Ecology show-Axtell, Orang-utan, Plant, Vulture and frog.
Math Show-Selberg Rupert
Anti Bully show-Axtell Orang-utan, Kangaroo
Adult show. Dan Payes old man, vent mask.
Xmas show. Worbey Dragon, Axtell Penguin, drawing board.
Walkabout. Axtell Dragon, Parrot.
Wizard, Either dragon and Axtell wildthing.
I think that's it. I cant have each show in seperate cases as lots of the props are used in more than one show.

Mark, I'm planning to get to Vent Haven next year so I'll see you there.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Colin, we're holding you to it!
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Jim Grathoff
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Jim Grathoff
What kind of cases do you use.. I have the big bear puppet..
I usually put him in my sword basket to travel..
but I would like to know what kind of cases and where do you get them
thanks
Jim
www.nitelitemagic
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
What's you prefered travel/performance case set up?
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I always keep them in their cases for their protection. There is one exception, one cheaper figure I keep out for quick practice.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Figure/puppet storage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL