The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Should Christians Play with Face cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
I use normal playing cards.
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan now living in the Florida panha
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
There was a song by Tex Ritter about a soldier who was caught "playing with cards at a church service:
he was give a chance to prove he meant no harm.
He tells a story that the...
Ace reminds him that there is but one God
2 reminds him that the Bible is divided into two books the New and Old Testament.
3 reminds him of the trinity. Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
4 reminds him of the 4 evangelists, Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John
5 reminds him of the virgins 5 were wise and 5 were foolish.
6 reminds him that God created the earth is six day.
7 reminds him that on the 7th he rested
8 reminds him of Noah, his wife, his three sons and their wives.
9 reminds him of the 10 lepers and 9 did not even thank him.
10 reminds him of the Ten Commandments.
the queen is Mary queen of Heaven
the King is Jesus Christ.
The Jack is the devil.
there are 365 total pips on playing cards number of days in a year
4 suits number of seasons in a year and the weeks in a month.
13 tricks the weeks in a quarter
the deck of cards serves as a Bible, almanac and prayer book
He was let go.
Seems something like this could go along way in showing the kinder side of cards.

mightydog
David
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
From previous posting: "there are 365 total pips on playing cards number of days in a year"

Okay, is it just me or has anyone else ever been curious...how is it was determined that there are 365 pips in a deck of playing cards?

Logic tells me that pips are the illustrations of spades, hearts, clubs and diamonds. So I have a deck of cards in my hand and find the following...

Ace through 10 - (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+8+10)* 4 suits = That is only 220 pips.

Jack through King - 24 (based on two in each illustration...At least in my deck of Bicycles I've got here laid out before me)

So...220 + 24 = 248. Not quite 365.

Wait...Ace through King - have small pips under each number/letter...(which were not on old playing cards) but let see... 52 * 2 = 102

So...220 + 24 + 102 = 346. Still 19 short? Am I to count the pips that are in the clothing of the suit cards...that puts me over 365.

The only way to come close I suppose would be to go with the pips totals on the number cards and then consider that Jacks are 11 pipped, Queens are 12 pipped, Kings are 13 pipped.

Therefore...
(1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+8+10+11+12+13)* 4 = 364

So...we count the Joker as a single pip... we arrive at 364 + 1 = 365

So is that what we mean by "there are 365 total pips on playing cards number of days in a year"?

Anyone with the real history on this "365 pips", it would be a welcome addition to this thread.
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
Quote "Some point out that if you count up all the spots on the cards, you come up with only 364, not the 365 claimed. The 1865 version contained an explanation for that, which has also been dropped from newer accounts:

When I count how many spots there are in a pack of cards, I find there are three hundred and sixty-five, there are so many days in the year.
Stop, said the mayor that is a mistake. I grant it, said the soldier, but as I have never yet seen an Almanack that was teoroughly [sic] correct in all points it would have been impossible for me to have imitated an Almanack exactly without a mistake. Your observations are very correct said the mayor. Go on."The story itself has been in print since 1778.

It was recorded by Tex Ritter, Wink Martindale and Bill Anderson. This verse was dropped in the newer versions.

Quote "The older versions also mention the deck being divided into thirteen ranks, one for each (lunar) month, a detail dropped from more contemporary versions in recognition of modern society having moved away from the lunar calendar"

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding

mightydog
David
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
Here is the link from which I got my information.

http://www.newtscards.com/history_biblestory.asp

mightydog
David
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Thanks David. That was very interesting and has sparked my creativity to keep going with it.

I also thought it interesting on that site it points out that there are 12 face cards for the 12 months. I have not heard that reference before. So I got to thinking and for the Bible version. One could say there are twelve face cards that remind me of the 12 disciples or apostles. (per your preference)

As I've been thinking about this, another line occurred to me that might be added...

"There deck is also denominationally friendly. There are 14 different cards, Ace through King and a Joker, as there are 14 stations of the cross."

Also it has been said (meaning I don't know this for sure) that the Bible has 365 "Fear Nots" in it, one for every day. Perhaps that can be added to one's routine some how. I suppose to explain 365 you would need to explain Jacks 11, Queens 12, and Kings 13...which is simple enough to do.

"What about leap year?" ...suppose that explains why there is an extra joker... Smile
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
Hey Kif:
I did some research and the gist of the matter is no one agrees on the total number of "fear not's" in the Bible other than it is NOT 365. This is taking into consideration "fear not", "Do not be afraid", Do not be anxious", "Do not worry".
Not enough "fear not's", to many otherwise.

mightydog
David
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
You can also use the 13 trick referencing the below:..

Jesus called the 12 he had selected to follow him as full-time apostles. These would receive special training to become "fishers of men" and carry on his work. Matthew 10:2 names the 12 apostles as: Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; Philip, and Bartholomew (Nathaniel); Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus (James the Less), and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot (from Kariot in Judea; the others were all from Galilee).

After Judas betrayed Jesus and committed suicide, Acts 1:26 says the other apostles elected Matthias to succeed Judas. The requirements for being an apostle of Jesus were: He had to have seen Jesus in his lifetime, and he had to have been called personally by Jesus. Paul felt he met those qualifications because of his Damascus Road vision. Therefore, in Romans 1:1, 1 Corinthians 1:1, and other epistles, Paul referred to himself as an apostle of Jesus called late in time.

If you discard Judas and keep Matthias, whom we know little about, and also include Paul, you do have 13 apostles. That coincides with the Tribes of Israel. How many tribes were in the 12 Tribes of Israel? 13, including the tribe of Levi who wasn't counted since they were the priestly tribe who didn't inherit land. They were given cities in which to live, but Levi was never given an inheritance in the Promised Land

mightydog
David
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
Perhaps a Bible based story on each of the cards. Do a fan and let a child pick a card, and then do A trick with that card giving the story behind the card picked?
You could sing or recite the song leaving out references to the soldier or not to fit your character. and at the end do a trick with a card selected by o child?
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Well...so much for "365 Fear Nots" as part of the routine then. Smile
Suppose that rumor is and example of when trying to make the scriptures to match the message, not letting the scriptures drive the message.

As for "The 12" - I think I would more likely go with the "Jesus picked 12 disciples" to apostles for the routine...hey...there is the suicide king...but I probably wouldn't go there in the story and say the King of Hearts represents Judas...since so many use that card to represent Christ...

Also like the 12 Tribes concept...as when the house of Levi are counted in the tribes, the tribe of Joesph is counted as one, but when Levi is not, then the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh are counted in the mix...God's Method of Accounting)

Very good discussion...
<BR>
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
How about letting the Joker represent Judas?

mightydog
David
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Should Christians Play with Face cards? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL