The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The 10 Best Stephen King Novels/Novellas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
The only King I ever tried to read was The Stand. My mom, the writer, suggested I read ti as she loved it.

But she is a Jew who knows nothing about Christianity.

I was bored to tears and stopped half-way through. It was obvious who the Christ figure was. It was obvious who the anti-Christ was. And it was taking effing Forever to get them to the final conflict.

My reaction to the stand, in short, to quote Tripod, was "Get to the effing Monkey."
(If you don't get it, listen to this. Warning there is some profanity and it may not be work safe, depending on where you work... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZKc574LnBM )

Sicne then all I've done is watch king movies and miniseries... so based on those... one paragraph reviews...

SPOILERS BELOW

IT: Creepy as hell until the end, then the real monster is less interesting or scary then the lead up was.

The Stand: See above. Obvious and boring. It went exactly where I thought it would when I quit the book half-way through. The only bright spot was Matt Frewer, just because I love Matt Frewer's acting.

The Tommyknockers: I liked this one. The techno solution to a vampire/ancient evil story was clever and unexpected.

The Shawshank redemption: Fun... but I had a sense of deja vu throughout it. The actual escape is asbed VERY closely on the escape of the 3 guys from Alcatraz. The only difference was he had to crawl through a sewer pipe rather then go up through an air duct to the roof and then cross a bay. I have this feeling the business about the warden skimming money and his accountant turning the tabels on him is also based on something real but I can't place it yet.

Needful Things: See The Stand. when King does Christian Mythology I find it plodding and predictable. The only bright spot ehre was Max von Sydow who is a wonderful actor. (Though if I had to compare his portrayal of The Devil in this to DeNiro's in Angel heart, DeNiro would win. Ofcoruse that's also a MUCH better script.)

The Green Mile: very strong. This is probably my favorite King I've seen.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 20:56, Cyberqat wrote:
The only King I ever tried to read was The Stand. My mom, the writer, suggested I read ti as she loved it.

But she is a Jew who knows nothing about Christianity.

I was bored to tears and stopped half-way through. It was obvious who the Christ figure was. It was obvious who the anti-Christ was. And it was taking effing Forever to get them to the final conflict.

My reaction to the stand, in short, to quote Tripod, was "Get to the effing Monkey."
(If you don't get it, listen to this. Warning there is some profanity and it may not be work safe, depending on where you work... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZKc574LnBM )

Sicne then all I've done is watch king movies and miniseries... so based on those... one paragraph reviews...

SPOILERS BELOW

IT: Creepy as hell until the end, then the real monster is less interesting or scary then the lead up was.

The Stand: See above. Obvious and boring. It went exactly where I thought it would when I quit the book half-way through. The only bright spot was Matt Frewer, just because I love Matt Frewer's acting.

The Tommyknockers: I liked this one. The techno solution to a vampire/ancient evil story was clever and unexpected.

The Shawshank redemption: Fun... but I had a sense of deja vu throughout it. The actual escape is asbed VERY closely on the escape of the 3 guys from Alcatraz. The only difference was he had to crawl through a sewer pipe rather then go up through an air duct to the roof and then cross a bay. I have this feeling the business about the warden skimming money and his accountant turning the tabels on him is also based on something real but I can't place it yet.

Needful Things: See The Stand. when King does Christian Mythology I find it plodding and predictable. The only bright spot ehre was Max von Sydow who is a wonderful actor. (Though if I had to compare his portrayal of The Devil in this to DeNiro's in Angel heart, DeNiro would win. Ofcoruse that's also a MUCH better script.)

The Green Mile: very strong. This is probably my favorite King I've seen.

I'd suggest two others, for video consumption:

Stand By Me, and The Dead Zone
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Oh... how could forget those?

yes,. both excellent!

The Dead Zone: Any incredibly clever story told incredibly well in film. Unfortunately it didn't follow the film rule of 3... which is you say anything important 3 times. The first time subtly for about 5% of your audience, and as foreshadowing for the rest. The second directly, for about another 10% of the audience. The third time, you hit them over the head with it. that's for the last 85% of the audience. Dead Zone didn't do #3, and guess which group reviewers are ALWAYS in? As a result, it got universally panned with the whine, "we don't get it, whats the dead zone??"

Stand By Me: In many ways it reminds me of The Green Mile. Its a story that is much more about human emotions and behavior then creepy crawlies (I don't think there is ANYTHING supernatural in Stand By Me, is there?) I actually think King is at his best in that domain.

Misery: Painful to watch but also excellent. And again, about people. Who can be the scariest thinsg on the planet.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2489 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The book the shining, made me want to leave the lights on a night for a few days, it scared the hell out of me. King himself did not like the original movie version, but I think Jack Nicholson and Stanly Kubrick were a match made in heaven... er hell.
Still the best of his books in my opinion. Honestly, I enjoy almost all his books. I just read the Novelette "The Colorado Kid" and was amazed that there was no flatulence in the book. King seems to have a mania for passing gas.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jeffdell
View Profile
New user
Nashua, NH
66 Posts

Profile of jeffdell
The first Stephen King book I read was "Skeleton Crew." I just remember I was in junior high school and my sister told me to read one story out of it. It totally freaked me out. I only remember something about cannibals and I had nightmares after!

Only recently have I started to revisit the horror genre and I think I'll have to revisit some Stephen King titles.

Jeff
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
I also prefer Clive Barker, however my favorite Steven King books is probably Skeleton Crew, Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, and EVerything's Eventual. I really want to get around to reading some of his other freaky stuff, like Insomnia.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
For the most part, I think King's eighties movies were the best. Fright Night, The Shining, those kinds of movies. The Green Mile was obviously terrific.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2747 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Clive Barker grosses me out. (Although I did like the zombie dogs trying to bark without vocal chords.)

I like Stephen, he can plod on occasion, but on the whole, he's a good read.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Stephen King is a humble guy too.
He once said of Clive Barker, "He's a better writer than me." Heck of a gracious thing to say from the most famous horror writer of our times.
I forgot all about "Danse Macabre" though. That was useful.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2747 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
This is true. For months, Clive Barker paperbacks had the quote; "This is the only guy who can scare me." - Stephen King.

I'm not saying he's not scary. I'm just saying he "geeks the rat" too often and too well for me to get into his stories.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1813 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Best SK: The short story collection that will contains " Morality" and " Rest Stop". Hasn't come out yet.
http://www.esquire.com/fiction/fiction/r......ing-1203
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Thinner.

Anyone ever read the Bachman Books? Early work. Not quite as good as the Steven King stuff but still pretty good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Wow...I cannot believe no one listed "Needful Things". Unless I missed the post. I enjoyed it.

I read everything of Kings with the exception on the Dark Tower Series.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The 10 Best Stephen King Novels/Novellas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL