The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promoting other shows during a show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
So I'm doing a show. I have an audience of people who are there because they want to see magic (or maybe are _still_ there because what they're seeing is at least mildly entertaining). I have their attention and permission to speak to them, and they are kindly disposed to me.

It seems like a mood-killer to simply blurt out "And I do birthday parties, too!"
Or during a b-day party to tell the parents "Call me for your next Blue and Gold."

Do you promote your other shows during a show? If so, how do you work it into the flow of the current program so it's not an interruption and isn't burined under everything else that's going on?

Ed
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Ed, You certainly can talk about the other shows! I guess the hard part is to do it tactfully.

Possibly a better idea, is to have some literature or info for them to take home if they want to.

And even better still, give them something that they really want - a souvenir trick, etc... - and that has your info on it.
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Silly Billy has many ideas on this matter in his notes and I believe his book.

One idea was to simply say, while doing a birthday party, "Last week I was doing this at a blue and gold dinner, and the kid that was helping me was hilarious..."

Or, while at a blue and gold dinner, "I was doing a show at a birthday party the other day and blah, blah, blah, happened."

It plants the seeds for you, and parents will ask for your information after the show

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the truth, if someone sees you doing close-up they as with all jobs "pigeon hole" you to close-up. If they see you do or hire you for a banquet show, then they hold that to a higher place then little kiddies birthday shows.

If you want to do everything and anything, then you have presented a very large challenge for yourself. It is very difficult to be everything to everybody.

That being said, that does not mean you do not do these other types of shows when asked.

I am more of the idea to target market yourself for one type of show. This lets you get a nice promotion piece that makes sense to people. Thus, you should create promotional pieces geared to the different types of show.

Additionally, somewhere on your promotional piece, you can mention the other types of shows you may be asked to do.

Think about it, if you go to see a doctor and he says, I do everything myself. I am a General Doctor, but I also do brain and heart surgery. Would you think you have the very best to give you the surfaces you need.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
All you need is to plant a tiny seed in their mind and allow it to grow. Tons of performers do this (especially trade show guys like Anton Zellman, Joel Bauer, etc).

I start with the introduction from the Emcee. He/she says, "Benji has done shows for *** company, etc etc." As soon as I come out I start as if I were going to perform and then as an afterthought I say, "Oh by the way. Someone asked me earlier for my card and I didn't have them on me so I'll just leave them in the back for later. Now...."

During the show I drop little lines like what Silly Billy does. Saying things like, "Last week in Houston when I..." And I always say the city rather than the state. The reason is because they now have to think of the state for themselves. Inside their mind they say, "Yea I know that place....Houston, Texas." So they are focusing on the state and not whether the statement is true or not. (only one or two lines are used).

And I believe the most important part is at the end of the show. When I walk off, the Emcee is the person who tells people to get in contact with me to see about my availability. Having the Emcee do this is a million times stronger than you saying it yourself because they will believe him/her over you.

The goal is to plant a seed.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2010-09-01 20:20, wmhegbli wrote:
I am more of the idea to target market yourself for one type of show. This lets you get a nice promotion piece that makes sense to people. Thus, you should create promotional pieces geared to the different types of show.

I understand what you mean. It's like calling a plumber and he sees a crack in your tile and says "I do that too."

On the other hand, if you take your car to a shop for brakes, it might not be out of character to see flat repair and front end alignment at the same place. That might even instill more confidence that this person knows the whole spectrum of your potential needs.

All I'm doing is kid-centric shows. Birthday parties, whole-family gatherings, library, school, etc. No close-up. A little bit of "higher-level" magic just to keep the "young adults" from falling asleep. (Well, I am currently pumping a long-term care facility, but with an eye towards their upcoming family Christmaas party.)

So dropping the seed with just a line or two - that works for me. I may not have an MC much of the time, other than someone who says "It's time for the magician!" So perhaps a brochure for after the show, with photos of happy kids and captins like "Courtesy of Public Library" or "Thanks to Kelly for letting us use her birthday photo"?

Ed
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ed,
You really should write an introduction on a 3"x5" card and give it to the person who will introduce you. Not only is it more professional, they will see you care about your performance and treat it like a business.

Fitz, idea is the way to present such an idea and plant a "seed" in the minds of the audience. This will also have more people coming to you after the show and ask for your business card or more information.

Remember, never just give your card to someone, get theirs 1st or contact info from them and then follow-up. I only mentioned close-up because, it was an example and in your previous post, you said you frequent a resturant.

If you are performing kid show, I think people will consider any event with kids as your market. It never hurts to script an interesting comment about another type of show. When I did kids shows most of the time the adults would leave the room and left me with the monsters, all alone. There was no reason to mention such things to the kids.

Another tool, is to have handouts for the kids. I have a jumbo dollar bill with tricks on the back, a Color the Magician sheet, some trick flyers, and a magician assistant certificate, to hand out to the audience members.

Long care and retirement homes are the worst places to try and sell a show. Usually, they only want free, but they charge huge fees for their services. My last retirement home Holloween show, they called me and agreed to the fee, which was bare minimum. I had to ask 3 times for the check, then the director acted like I was robbing him, and he did not want to let go of the check. That was the last time I did these types of places.

Here is a tip, go to the rich expensive neighborhoods in your city, right down the address, and set a brochure to the houses or a post card (it's cheaper).
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I do have the handouts. I'll need to create some decent cards and brochures.

(Time was the problem there because of my day job, but that's over as of this weekend. The hours, I mean - not the job! The alternative of paying for professional design is not available at this moment. Hoever, it is definitely on my radar!)

Intro card: I had a chance to see a very big name for my state perform at my local library. He didn't give the people a pre-written intro, and they mangled it several different ways while announcing his show!

Quote:
Here is a tip, go to the rich expensive neighborhoods in your city, right down the address, and set a brochure to the houses or a post card (it's cheaper).

I will remember that and use it later. Right now, I don't have expensive looking materials. And I am just rising into the "paid show" category and need to get some "show miles" under my belt for confidence. (Not self-bashing - just an understanding of where I'm at.)

Quote:
Remember, never just give your card to someone, get theirs 1st or contact info from them and then follow-up.

And that is also a good tip. I did read the long and involved discussion Mr. Bruce started in another thread.

Thanks for chiming in!
Ed
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You don't need expensive looking materials, just something they can read. How do you think you will get work without advertising. The phone will not ring, because the do not know you number.

Ed I just hear excuses why you can't do brochures, mailings and self promoting. Stay up late and design something there is a lot of free brochure programs that anyone can design something on a computer. I know you have a computer because you are on the Café.

Remember, all the plans in the world will not happen with "action" on your part.

Good luck, I give up.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2010-09-02 19:13, wmhegbli wrote:
You don't need expensive looking materials, just something they can read. How do you think you will get work without advertising. The phone will not ring, because the do not know you number.

Ed I just hear excuses why you can't do brochures, mailings and self promoting. Stay up late and design something there is a lot of free brochure programs that anyone can design something on a computer. I know you have a computer because you are on the Café.

Remember, all the plans in the world will not happen with "action" on your part.

Good luck, I give up.

Well, it certainly wasn't my intent to frustrate you. I honestly do appreciate your help.

But I also have to live and move within the set of current circumstances that is my life. That includes the ideas and concepts that have meaning and are therefore actionable, and those that I can't yet grasp and are therefore beyond my current reach.

I am not you; I approach life through a completely different framework. Perhaps some of that needs to change, and there's much of it that already has - but there's also a good chunk that is simply "me". As such, sometimes we give others thoughts, concepts, and action items that just don't fit the other person.

What looks like action to me may look like spinning wheels to you. But it's still more than I've ever done before. What looks like excuses to you - well, they may very well turn out to be excuses, but right now they are ostacles.

For one example: "Stay up late and design something"

Up to this point, that has not been an option. My day normally begins at 4:30 am and often doesn't stop until 10 or 11 pm. And that's six days a week. I have no more time.

The word "expensive" was used simply to say that I wanted materials that would match the people who would receive them. Otherwise, I'd just type some stuff in Word and run off a bunch of copies at Staples and go rubber-band them to door knobs. That doesn't make me look like something "those people" would want - unless I'm advertising cut-rate lawn services. (Yes, in other jobs, I have had interactions with "those people", and felt their attitudes.)

I do finally have a week off. I have several "action items" on my list. They may not take me where you have been at this point, but I believe they _will_ take me where *I* am able to go. In a year, I'll be able to go further. And I'll be in a better position to take action on advice given earlier that was out of my reach at that time.

And I will be very grateful for all the words given to me by those who knew best all along.

Ed
gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
Hey Ed,

I promote other shows in my shows all the time. I will say "Last time I was in Sterling Heights I was at a company picnic and the audience was clapping louder than this one..." At the end of my shows I say "Before I explain the rules for petting the raccoon. (Rocky) We have to do the commercial announcement: For those of you looking for entertainment for at your company picnic for that big company... you own I will have my business card up here after the show, Anyone with questions about performances, I will be here for a while letting the kids pet the raccoon." I will have the kids line up and pet the raccoon as they do I hand them their Gordon Russ the Magician Comedy Magic Diploma. Some times a kid will start to leave with out his diploma (with all my contact info on it) I will say "Hey buddy you have take one, I have a big car payment" Every kid gets a diploma.

Gordon
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea drop hints and plant seeds. Let me tell you the downside.

"Wow if this guy worked for IBM and such huge companies what is he doing here tonight?".

You start to get the negative sorts of questions asked and formed in the mind of people. The problem with planting seeds and such is that you never know how they are going to grow. When Joel or Anton do this they are working at that high level so it is a lateral movement. If you are doing that and trying to imply that you work for higher dollar places, well people start to ask questions. They are NOT STUPID REMEMBER!

So yea plant seeds, but keep things in perspective and always remember that there is always 2 parts to communication. What you are saying, and what they are hearing. People can spot a disingenuous sales pitch.

You know there is a theory that if you just do a fantastic job, you may not need too much of this other stuff. I am certain you do a great job already so you are half way there.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
We don't do kids shows but use Magic & Hypnosis shows but over half of our 100 theatre shows a year are booked by people being told about how we can help them to raise money or have a great evening for there company function etc etc...

You have to solicit work which is really easy in a hall full of 500 people who have just had a blast over the last 2 hrs-we have ques of people wanting this event for their function at the end of our shows

We tell them to come & see us at the end of the night and how easy it is to raise funds etc as you see by the crowds here tonight etc...... we do a serious pitch at the end of the night.

its no use doing a good show with a full house if your just going to let them walk away after the event.......

Brent
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Im with Brent. I am always prepared to offer my info (nifty business cards which are very unique) to secure future business during these rough economic times.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promoting other shows during a show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL