The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » 5 FREE REVIEW COPIES OF AMERICAN DREAM BEING GIVEN AWAY! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks Adam for your kind comments!

kyle
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6907 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Kyle has got some really nice tricks in this book. Gum v. 2 is very nice! There's also a Biddle Trick type thing that is very good.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks for your kind comments Cameron!

Kyle
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2205 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
REVIEW:

AMERICAN DREAM by Kyle McNeill

1) Hoffee Chew: Hofiziner Ace trick, good effect.

Pros: - Basically impromptu

Cons: - None

Overall I like this trick.

2) Rule of Gum V 2.0: Effect - A card is selected, and placed in between the Two Jokers. Two gum packets, magically, reveal the chosen card! The card then vanishes from in between the Jokers, and with Empty hands, is shown to be folded up in the Gum compartment of one of the gum packets!

Little bit of setup required, but then you are good to go.

3) Poker Player's ACAAN: Effect - ACAAN using a barcode principle I discovered. Impromptu, simple, and it uses a borrowed deck!

this is my favorite on the ebook.Very easy ACAAN and yet very effective.

I have already performed it a few times.

anyways.

There are more card effects that I enjoyed, and I am sure you will too.

if you only use one or two effects in the book, its worth it!!

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6907 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Reverse Hypnosis has a lot of potential. There's a lot a lot of handling involved that could be streamlined but it's one of those things that'll definitely inspire you.

For such a young guy, Kyle has some really inspired ideas!
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
wowbound.com
2099 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Clever stuff, Kyle!

Benny
+ "Top 10" Best-Selling author at Lybrary.com
+ Proud sponsor "Genii Magazine's 75th Anniversary Convention"
+ Inventor of the world famous Floating Match
+ WOWBOUND.COM
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
I really enjoyed this new ebook from Kyle. The variety in effects/plots and methods is commendable.

Peter
Alternative Magic
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
388 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Is this ebook being sold yet?
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks all you guys for your very kind comments!
gGarcia: The book will start being sold at Lybrary.com in around a week.

Best wishes to all,

Kyle
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Also, thanks Ben!

Kyle
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3035 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Have been reading through this a few days and as stated above, there are some nice ideas in this well written collection. Im certain you will all easily adapt some of the handlings to your style and make some minor changes but overall, right out of the gate, you can perform as written, using your own patter and routining of course. I like this soon to be new release from Kyle and recommend it. There are a few effects plus another few very nice ideas that you will use one way or the other.At this rate of releasing a couple Ebooks already at a young age, I can not wait to see what the future brings from Kyle.
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I truly, deeply believe that Ben Harris is prophetic. He posted in another thread to Kyle the following: "You are going to be dangerous lad!" American Dream is ample proof that our esteemed wizard Mr. Harris possesses "the gift." (Note, always put things like this in quotes as it provides dramatic tension; cueing Apocalyptic orchestral crescendi helps too Smile)

So, AMERICAN DREAM is Kyle MacNeill's newest offering to the art, and yes, this guy is getting more dangerous with every release. As with all good thinkers, there is a clear evolution of thought in Kyle's releases to date, and I am confident it shall continue.

The reviews here have given the effect descriptions so I will refrain from doing that. I want to approach this review a tad differently. Those seeking tidy number scaled "grades" will be disappointed. I resist them because ideas as such are not quantifiable, and ideas and thought processes are what interest me here as a performing magician.

Reviews are highly subjective of course, so what I might say, other readers may vehemently have disagreement with. I welcome that.

Kyle thinks outside the box. At first glance you ARE going to see classic plots. But, while there is an infinite number of card effects, there is only a finite quantity of TYPES of effects we can do with cards. That said, Kyle displays a knack that follows in the best traditions of good inventors in that he seeks to put nice twists on these effects.

I am a baseball fanatic and the first item I checked out was Baseball Aces. This effect illustrates my assertion of Kyle's knack of taking a classic, in this case, an assembly, and adding a nice kicker to it. What I find beautiful about the thinking is that Kyle isn't just rearranging the cards into a diamond shape for sheer novelty. It is intrinsic to the presentation of the effect. The catcher INDEED does his job well in this excellent routine. (Note to our Scottish Kyle: a little Cricket sneaked its way into your verbiage. The terms batsman and batsmen USED to be used in early 19th century baseball. The terms used are actually hitter or batter. Smile)

Reverse Hypnosis was the next effect in my sights. Since I do stage hypnosis, I was keenly interested in this effect. I love the thinking here. It reminded me of Bro. John Hamman's maxim that the magic happens in the MIND of the spectator, not through the skill of our hands. This effect messes with the spectator's mind as beautifully as Bro. John's fabulous "Two Card Trick." As I read the effect and tried it out, I was also reminded of Roy Walton's excellent but overlooked "Back Into Time" which can be found in the September 1973 issue of Pallbearer's Review. Kyle's Reverse Hypnosis is a STRONG effect, and I have decided to add it to my working repertoire. My only concern with this effect is the use of a sleight that under these conditions may not be the best choice. So, I did a little modification, and I am LOVING this effect.

Hank Aaron didn't hit a home run every time he came to the plate, and it is unfair to ask that a creator accomplish such a feat either. I feel that Poker Player's ACAAN was a soft grounder back to the pitcher. The THINKING is nice using the barcode idea - which by the way IS something that COULD be exploited in WONDERFUL ways - but, besides the 1% chance of a failure rate that Kyle mentions, there is also the sad fact of spectator error in adding the numbers. Poor lighting conditions, weak vision, and/or confusion on what part of the barcode is to be added is just too risky for my tastes. I DO love the IDEA. Also the dealing procedure and subsequent "gedintas" (thanks Mr. Lorayne for that word Smile) are in my opinion, unmotivated. There really isn't a logical reason for the complete dealing of the pack. In this instance however, Kyle shows a LOT of class by pointing the reader to the ACAAN work of our own Tommaso Guglielmi.

A Love Of Cards is an interesting bit of business. I PM'd Kyle with a little subtlety that could strengthen the reveal AND allow the spectator to keep the candy. American magicians note: SweetTarts will work VERY nicely with this effect.

A Famous Star really reminded me of something that Nick Trost would have created - and to me this is high praise. Fans of 8 Card Brainwave will love this. The kicker at the end is excellent and the presentation has nice motivation to it. I found Louis Madeuf's handling (written after Kyle's approach) inferior to Kyle's, but again, that is personal taste.

Biddle ACAAN represents another attempt at the "holy grail." This effect is amazing by virtue of the fact that in my copy of the e-book, it is not listed Smile This effect is a better attempt than Poker Player's ACAAN. I like it, but, would only use this in more relaxed situations due to the preparation. While not EXTENSIVE, it does not lend itself to the rapid fire reset needed in a very busy walk around/restaurant gig.

Kyle is very good about crediting/references. I am a big fan of references as I like to read the original idea that inspired the newer effect. So, thanks to Kyle I am looking up a certain effect from Hugard's Smile

Closing observations:

It is quite obvious that Kyle MacNeill is a true student of our great art. He demonstrates an attention to detail that some more experienced authors lack. His enthusiasm for magic is infectious; as I was reading this manuscript I could feel his unbridled enthusiasm.

Our Mr. MacNeill, scoundrel that he is Smile, is not afraid to think out side of comfort zones, and you know, for all of the years I have done magic (20) I NEVER realized the barcode thing as exploited by Kyle.

This book is a worthy addition to your library. It will be exciting to see Ben Harris' prophecy come to fruition.

Hey Kyle? You better remember us here at the Café when you hit it big!! I want FRONT ROW CENTER at the Castle mate. Smile

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: I wanted to keep this very last bit separate from my review as it has NO bearing at all on my assessment of Mr. MacNeill's work. Those of us who have been in the art for any appreciable length of time have worried that our beautiful art is in danger of being reduced to glorified jugglery of cards that even the most "xtreme" rock star would would fear. Kyle MacNeill displays a maturity and a respect for our art that goes FAR beyond his years. This guy is cutting edge in the RIGHT way and respects the old school way of doing things. So, "Xtreme Card Guyz", you better watch out! There is a actual MAGICIAN here in Kyle MacNeill that is going to open a magical can of Alabama Xtreme Butt Whoopin' on ya!!!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Vlad_77, That was the most lovely review ever.
Thanks for the great comments and the brilliant feedback for some of the effects.
I think I feel a tear coming!
Thanks so much to you and Rizzo!

Best wishes,

Kyle MacNeill
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1646 Posts

Profile of JamieD
This is a really cool PDF. Kyles way of looking at seemingly normal objects and exploiting them for his own magical happenings is brilliant. He has a real gift for creating magic with normal objects which is great for those moments when you get caught out. Well written and with clear photos! Good American Dreaming!

Jamie Daws
THE DARK SERIES - DECEASED - SCREAM - HE'S NOT HERE - www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks Jamie!

Kyle
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
American Dream will be released soon, maybe in the next week.
A demo is hopefully coming soon. Smile

Best wishes,

Kyle
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
I am long overdue with my review, which is forthcoming--really!

It will be different since I don't possess the knowledge or the skills of many of you who have already posted. Once again I take my hat off to Vlad who continues to be among the more thorough and insightful commentators around. He enriches the Café with each contribution. (Which means I get to lick the cat food can.)

I will, however, give you the short version of my review and that is "Kyle is brilliant!"

All my words will still come down to those three. And that, friends, is not my opinion: that is Kyle's work speaking for itself.

I realize this is a rather blanket statement, but I hereby challenge anyone who has read Kyle's offerings to disagree.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Gary, thank you.
Your kind words touch me, thanks for your kindness.
You are a pleasure to talk to you.

Best to all,

Kyle
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
American Dream coming soon....
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Here is my review of Kyle's MacNeill AMERICAN DREAM ebook. I hope you won't get sick of it since there are many of them now ^^

1. Hoffee Chew
A nice effect, very creative with a nice patter about making a candy. It uses classic principles. Not my favorite, but you won't be disappointed.

2. Rule of Gum V 2.0
This is another idea of Kyle's using gums. If you pretend to casualy take out your gum packets, it can be very powerful. I liked it a lot.

3. Poker Player’s ACAAN
Briliant and practical ACAAN style effect. It uses two very clever principles, and is very clean. I think I will use this one...

4. A Love of Cards
Another idea of Kyle's using a candy packet for a revelation. You need to find a precise trademark, I believe it is not available in France. Also I don't know if it will work well since the packet is not really examinable at the end. Not my style.

5. Biddle ACAAN
I really love this one ! Very clever and a kicker ending, yet everything is simple. Those who like the biddle plot will love this one ! This is a worker. It needs a little setup but it can be done in front of the spectators quite easily.

6. A Famous Star
This is an effect talking about hollywood stars. I think it can be a beautiful effect but I didn't like the method which may feel a bit obvious for the audience so I wrote my own method and Kyle was kind enough to put it in as a bonus. The original effect needed to take out a named four of a kind after the four aces. Once all these cards lost in the pack the aces "trap" the four of a kind (actually three of them). My handling allows to trap those three cards without taking them out of the deck (well, this is what the spectators see..). You are the judge for this bonus handling. Anyway, this effect has a kicker ending too.

7. Baseball Aces
Not at my taste but I think many will like this ace assembly. It has a very original patter, about baseball !

8. Reverse Hypnosis
I love half of this trick, the end is not as strong as it could be so maybe there are some changes to make. But the patter plays perfectly ! I will use this for sure after a few changes. If you like the hypnotism style patter, this is for you.

9. Ketchup, Slow coach!
A little idea using a ketchup bottle to reveal a card. Why not ! I would use this more like a fake subliminal idea where I pretend to have put this bottle for a precise reason... you get the idea.

10. Celebrity Status
Like the description says, "A fiery and quirky opener, full of magic!" for sure ! It is a very visual routine, perfect for table hoping.

I enjoyed this book a lot, Kyle's thinking is always refreshing !
overall rating : 8/10

Vlad, I'm sorry you didn't like my handling. But I would love to hear your thoughts on it, don't hesitate to PM. I tried to solve a "problem" I found so if you think it wasn't a good solution, your critics may be very helpful. Thanks !

TAB
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » 5 FREE REVIEW COPIES OF AMERICAN DREAM BEING GIVEN AWAY! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL