The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » To my fellow bespectacled magi (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
For all those out there who've never opted for contacts or Lasik...

I thought it might be nice to have a couple routines that use spectacles. It'd be unlike most of the magic lay-people have seen, you'd always have your prop handy, and if your spectators wander off in the middle of your performance you won't realize it until well after their gone, saving yourself some embarassment.

I've seen a David Acer routine where he magically produces his eyeglasses (they apparently fall out of his eye as he adjusts his contacts) and a Simon Lovell handling of "Card on Forehead" where the card is loaded behind the eyeglasses. There've got to be others.

Anyone know any?

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Daryl has a 2 card transposition that happens with him being blindfolded by 2 cards placed behind his glasses. (they are the cards that change)

I think this can be found of his card revelations vol. 2 video.

Can someone confirm this?

M@t Smile
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Thanks M@t

Anybody else have suggestions? I've been wearing these things since I was 4, and I know I'm not the only one, so there has to be other routines out there.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
David L.
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
1 Post

Profile of David L.
I use Fearson's IT hookup using my glasses. It works perfectly.

-David L.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Michael Ammar has a broken and restored glasses effect on page 61 of "The Magic Hedonists Brainstorm in the Bahamas".
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
There's a broken & restored glasses effect in Eric Maurin's "Secrets."
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Paul, I PM'ed you my routine.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I bought this set of glasses off of E-bay, I think it was called Grandpa's Spectacles. It comes with a set of glasses but will work with your normal glasses.

The effect is that when you blow on the glass writing shows up, you can have it say anything! The routine that comes with them is good, but you are only limited by your imagination to how you use them.

I'll look on E-bay and see if I can find a set of them again...
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
rrath1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of rrath1
Grandpa's spectacle's is a great routine for anyone wearing glasses. The method doesn't harm the lenses in anyway, and can be changed at anytime. I supply everything you need to perform this effect at anytime. Always set and ready to go. I will sell anyone a complete set up, of glasses, lenses, gimmicks, carry case, and special bonus, an additional round lense that some magic shoppes sell for 12.50 for free. cantact me at rrath1@aero.net. Price including shipping 25.00. USA Smile
Wizard AKA The Amazing Bob Rath
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Tim Ellis's "Run Around Sue" cups and balls routine includes magic with his sunglasses including a vanish and production under a cup. These ideas could be used with regular glasses as well.

In the secret sessions areas, I believe, there was put forth an interesting challenge concerning glasses. I didn't see any strong contenders for an effective solution last time I looked several weeks ago, but the concept had merit.

tr
Smile
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Dennis Loomis has a Brilliant idea.I perform a version of his Micro Chop cup, and fairly frequently use an idea I picked up Here

http://www.loomismagic.com/faqtips.html .

As you probably know the routine is performed entirely in the hands. If I put the empty cup down, and want it to appear full next time I lift it, (trying not to give too much away here,) sometimes I can feel that all is not as it should be, So to speak. In those circumstances I hold the cup for a moment in my right hand, while my left hand adjusts my glasses. a simple, everyday action that goes completely unnoticed. Then when I put the cup down I am ready to carry on as planned.

Andy

PS, I love Dennis's whole concept. If like me, you perform walkabout, and want a cups and balls routine, buy Dennis's Micro Chop Cup set. I just worked a local outdoor music festival, working totally in the hands and out of the pockets. Must have performed this 100 times over the two days. Absolute knockout every time!
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Eric Maurin published a fun "broken & restored" quicky using eyeglasses.

Mesika has a nice eyeglass effect in his book on loops.
Crippen
View Profile
New user
Washington, D.C.
79 Posts

Profile of Crippen
Lennert Green has a nice throw-away move on his "Green Magic, Vol 1" tape. Of course for the price of that one throw-away move, you'll get all of the false shuffles you'll ever need! Come to think of it, the tape has several eye-related moves/gags. Some involve glasses, some involve needing-glasses jokes.

-Crippen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » To my fellow bespectacled magi (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL