The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Promoting Your Vent Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I understand in his early days, Jeff Dunham used to have a mailing list sign up sheet at his shows. He built his lists and when he was booked at Comedy Clubs, he would do mailings and fill the venue. Many bands do/did the same thing.

Late last week, one of my agents advised me to start a fan page on FaceBook. I had never seen the need since I have a profile page. She told me clients like to see what kind of fan following you have. So, I started one.

I promoted the page at some of my shows and am slowly climbing in "likes" - almost to 500 and its only been a week. Yes, some of them are friends, but many of them have seen my shows or on-line videos. I've also gotten some great comments from people who caught the act live.

I'm slowly learning how to link to clients and cross promote. When posting on my fan page, the post automatically appears on their page when discussing a program for their event. This way people who read their page can find mine as well.

Hopefully this will become like Jeff's old mailing lists. It definitely gives me a look at who comes across my material. Check it out at:
http://www.Facebook.com/ComedyVent

Then get out there and start your own!
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Terrific idea, Tom, and it looks like you're really connecting with your public.

Great job!

Bob
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Tom..what a great idea! I am working with my own webmaster to have a Facebook Fan Page and should have it up relatively soon. Good job, my friend!

Mark

Mark Wade-Ventriloquist
http://www.kidshowvent.com
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
I have a facebook fan page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ace-of-......4?ref=ts I'm also going to set one up for Sir Nigel.
I also send regular mail outs via mail chimp, it's free for up to 500 subscribers.
I've paid money to get to the first page of google but haven't seen any results yet!
I need to get in to the habbit of tweeting as well.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Wish it was my idea Mark, but honestly my college agent recommended it. I also had a push by listening to the recording of Steve Hurst's interview on Ventriloquist Central. They both hit at the same time so I took action.

I believe one of the big keys is show promotion. At the end of my Beach Street Shows I started making an announcement: "I have a new fan page on Facebook. If you liked the show, like the page and let me know! You'll also find my schedule there in case you want to find me again. Just go to Facebook and type in ComedyVent."

I'm noticing a lot of overseas "likes". I found that weird until someone reminded me there are a lot of young Ukraine/foreign workers in Virginia Beach. Apparently they've shared my show with friends.

Colin - how are you doing on e-mail sign ups? I tried that route but had limited success. The fan page allows people to sign in without revealing personal info.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I have started a fan page too.I had a group page but am phasing it out in favour of a proper fan page.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Tom. Most of my sign ups come from people who want to book me but want the 10% discount. I'll ahve to see how the mail outs pan out. I'm useing Mail Chimp but it's editing is driving me mad. Trying to get all paragraphs the same size shouldn't be so dificult!
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I use Mailchimp too for my newsletter and it can be a bit of a pain getting everything lined up. I still get lots of compliments on the newsletter anyway.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Thanks for the info Colin (and Neale). So basically you've got a client listing for your newsletters? Selling to people who are previous clients.

I guess I'm trying to move in a slightly different direction. I want to develop a list of people who are interested in seeing my live show. This makes me more valuable to public venue bookers since I will be able to help generate a larger attendance. At least - that is what I have in mind...
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Wanted to update my progress on this topic. It is closing in on three weeks since I started the fan page and in that time, it has risen to over 600 "fans". According to the administration records - less than 100 of them are "friends" on my main profile.

I have had some positive interactions with "fans" through both my wall and private messages.

I decided to create an ad, targeted at people in a 25 mile area of a public show I was working. That resulted in about 8 clicks - and at least one family of attendance.

The cross promotion (wall postings) also led me to some great quotes about my show on another Facebook site.

Not sure where any of this will take me, but I find it fascinating.
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
It has been a month and a half now and I figured I'd update this for anyone interested. October had only one public show - and it is this weekend. Still, my fan numbers rose to 760. I did that through some cross promotions.

Facebook allows you to tag clients if they have a Facebook page. The post then appears on your "wall" and the "walls" of those you tag. It is seen by their friends and fans, and can bring them to your page to find out more.

I've written a routine about web sites and purchased the domain:
http://www.IdiotWithADuck.com
Dangerous will get the audience repeating it - and it is pointed at the Fan Page. Hopefully that will get more people there to generate "likes" and create active posting about the show. My first shot at it will be this Saturday, followed in fairly rapid succession with shows in NY, IN, and FL.

Can't wait to see if it creates any buzz.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
Tom,

where and when are you going to be in Florida, (please let it be somewhere near Tampa or Orlando!!!!!) Would love to support you, as I'm sure other members of the FVA would.
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I'm in Tallahassee on Nov. 9 for a college show. Have other things in the discussion stage that would be closer to you. I'll let you know if they happen.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I kept forgetting to add my new "Idiot With A Duck .com" routine into my show. Finally on Tuesday at the college in Tallahassee, I remembered and it went better than I thought. The results - 9 additional "likes" on my fan page. That's about 10% of the audience who took their time to check it out. If I can keep doing that - in about 500 years I'll have a tenth as many fans as Jeff!

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Promoting Your Vent Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL