The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Favorite Sleight, Anybody? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I know as magicians we are not supposed to be fascinated with sleights for their own sake, but I was wondering if anybody here has a a favorite sleight that they just enjoy using all the time?

I'm talking about that one that is super simple but very deceptive and every time you use it you grin like a monkey on the inside because it's so slick.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Gambler's Bottom Palm.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Good one.

I take a lot of delight on something I picked up from a Slydini volume years ago. After a repeated coin vanish to the pocket, (I prefer silver dollars) I pull the "coin" out of my pocket one more time.

Um, except for the fact that my fingers which hold the coin are actually empty. But Slydini taught that the facial expressions (and the body language) must MIRROR the belief that the coin is REAL.

I place this real coin in my left hand and tell them to watch as closely as they can. I encourage them to BURN my left hand with the coin.

Of course, the "coin" vanishes right under their nose, and the right hand is cleanly shown empty as it goes to the pocket to retrieve the coin one more time.

Done correctly and with absolute conviction that the phantom coin is real, it will smoke their mind every time. Never saw it fail even once. Never been called on it.

I suppose that is not really a sleight as much as it is a ruse, but I smile inside every time I do it because its so devilish.

I did this just yesterday to a guy who had some gorgeous collector, colorful US Marine coins that he had planned to give to his daughter. They are at least the size of silver dollars, and the fact that I used HIS coins really messed with his head.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My favorite? Mickey Silver's Ultimate Vanish. A Retention Pass, that, every coin magician that has seen it went Smile

Doug
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
Giggle pass, R.O.P.S. move. Smoked them every time!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Palmer Clip. After learning this from Bill I have created dozens of new effects using it (some available as an eBook) and am continuously finding new applications. Can't live without it -- especially with my crippled hands.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
I'm going to go the other way and say my favorite slights are the ones meant for the spectators to see.
I vote for the muscle pass. (Back palm fan productions are a close second.)
Zoto
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Zoto
I like the Bo Bo coin switch.
I pretend I don't have any coins and thumb palm either a penny or a half dollar if I have one on me. I switch what ever they give me. I'll look at the penny, "Hey, I thought you gave me a quarter?" or "Wow! Kenedy Half dollar? Sweet!" Either way I swtich it back and hand them what ever they gave me.
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
My favorite sleight is strangely the classic palm. I can't help trying to palm everything and anything I can find that fits into my hand.
Edgar Alstad
View Profile
New user
Levanger, Norway
95 Posts

Profile of Edgar Alstad
The "pitch and ditch" is slick, and great when vanishing a coin.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Double Lift
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
French drop and variations. Now, stop giggling. It works for most objects, makes subsequent total vanishes easy and it's reliable. By reliable, I mean, compared to the vernon wand spin, strike vanish, or (coins) HPC, himber vanish and back palm, any of which can leave the audience picking coins out of their hair.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Cards -- my double lift now that I can finally do one! (Yay! Thank you Greg Wilson.)

Coins -- toss up between the thumb palm (in and out for miser's dream) and what Bill Tarr simply calls the "Coin Switch" in Now You See It, Now You Don't.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Strike Vanish !!! It's so open, clean, super visual, and no one ever figures out where it went. Oh, and yes it does cause the monkey grin. I second the classic palm as well.
Lynchini
View Profile
New user
Central Illinois
100 Posts

Profile of Lynchini
The TCAPT revelation. ( top-card-air-pressure-turn-over )
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Whatever gets the job done, well, at the moment that I'm using it.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
The Depth Illusion or Elmsley count.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
The French Drop is great when done well, and I do it well if I do say so myself. I also love the Revolution Coin Vanish also. It works very well with the clothing I normally find myself in and with the right build up it total kills.

There is a coin through the back of your hand trick I learned when I was 11 or so which I think is in Bobo's book. Rub a coin on the back of your left hand, show that your left hand is empty almost as an after thought, continue to rub the coin on the back of the hand and then reveal that it has passed through your hand and is now inside your closed fist. It takes some timing but I have been doing it for decades now so I can do it in my sleep.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
Deucemc
View Profile
Regular user
originally Honolulu, Hawaii
116 Posts

Profile of Deucemc
I know and do several passes but sometimes when working with cards and it's been a long night and cards have exchanged hands it's the 15th time I'm going a trick..favorite sleight that bails me out is the Double Undercut.
Platus
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Platus
Cards - Dribble pass, double lift
Coins - the classic palm
They Never brought me Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Favorite Sleight, Anybody? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL