The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Secrets Revealed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Why me? On my side of town there are magicians revealing our secrets. I can not understand why they are giving away free secrets, especially when the economy is so bad.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
Good question! Is there any profit in it? Perhaps they get paid per click or something? Perhaps we just paid them kinda by clicking on it?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
The name says it all - "MYdini". A self-absorbed ass makin' "feel good"...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9024 Posts

Profile of funsway
At least the video quality is pretty good ;-)

wonder what he does in real life?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3621 Posts

Prob'ly works for the feds with top security clearance...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3621 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-09-03 00:32, Dynamike wrote:
Why me? On my side of town there are magicians revealing our secrets: http://www.mydini.com/category/card-magic/ I can not understand why they are giving away free secrets, especially when the economy is so bad.

Hey, Mike you were advised to move years ago... Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The only place I would feel comfortable moving to is out of this world.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
What a jerk.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
danellis
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of danellis
Maybe charging $5 for teaching someone how to do a trick is not such a criminal thing... Don't books teach tricks or that guy at the counter at the magic store?

Mydini.com was setup to help people get paid to TEACH someone how to do a trick not simply expose tricks...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 15:49, danellis wrote:
Mydini.com was setup to help people get paid to TEACH someone how to do a trick not simply expose tricks...

On the following page I see no fees, http://www.mydini.com/category/card-magic/ Each trick is being exposed for no charge. Danellis, why do you guys believe in doing this? Don't you know you are breaking the "magician's rules"?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Why would someone go to all that trouble just to be hated?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That's a good question, Al.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Al,

Obviously you have never played an MMORPG.

Google the word "greifer."

Some people are so desperate for attention even negative attention will suffice.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Absinthe
View Profile
New user
The Green
8 Posts

Profile of Absinthe
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 20:13, Al Angello wrote:
Why would someone go to all that trouble just to be hated?

$
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1891 Posts

Profile of slyhand
On top of revealing them for free, they are done very poorly. Ugghh!
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would not mind if the tricks were simple self-working kid tricks used for hobbyist. But some of them are sleight-of-hand moves we put a lot of time into. It seems like they want to destroy magic.
Laurent van Trigt
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Laurent van Trigt
What mystifies me is that one would think with all the exposure going on that magicians would become more secretive. You would think they would sit on the stuff that is still 'underground' to ensure that won't be exposed too... My observation is that this is not at all what is happening. On the contrary. It seems that anyone with a new idea has to release a dvd the next day. Books and videos on magic which used to be only accessible to members of a magician's club, are now available to anyone with an internet connection. This is not how it used to be. When I joined a magic society back in the 90s it took a long while before I got to learn some fundamental card moves. One had to 'earn' it. We had to learn the basic stuff first and then be lucky someone would introduce us to the next step. I remember an occasion where I was asked to leave the room because a magician was about to explain a trick with elastic bands and I had not been member for long enough. This was normal back then. Nowadays, I have seen magicians get upset because someone would refuse to tell them the secret to a particular routine. (The elastic band trick I was not told back then can now be found online in less than a minute...)
My mentor once told me: "It makes me feel like a magician to have secrets". How secretive are you? Do you have stuff you keep for yourself? Food for thought...
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
206 Posts

Profile of Ronin
I'm not really very happy about this, either.

But I think we're looking at it the wrong way, in the sense of thinking, "This guy is a jerk, out to expose magic and make things bad for magicians." I think he may really see himself as providing a service to would-be magicians. Which may be even scarier.

When I talk to my younger friends (I'm 45, so I count that as anyone under the age of 30) who are much more immersed than I am in the wired, virtual eWorld out there, I find that they see YouTube as search engine as much as a video viewing platform.

Want to learn how to mix a martini? YouTube! Need to learn how to build a retaining wall? YouTube! Interested in working with papier mache, fixing your muffler or tracking animals in the wild? YouTube!

So, of course, this extends to "learning magic tricks".

To this generation, this type of online video learning isn't any different than the books on magic at the public library we used to check out as kids.

In a recent column, Jon Racherbaumer described the experience of performing "Out of this World" for layperson. Racherbaumer had slipped and revealed the name of the effect, so the layperson whipped out his iPhone and googled "Out of this World card trick" and got a method pretty quickly.

I just don't see any way we're going to be able to stop this kind of thing, and I think we're better off seeing the motivations behind this beyond dismissing the exposers ("he's a jerk"). We can berate the younger generation for this attitude, but it won't change anything.

We're basically left where we've always been: creating our magic as appealing, original presentations of mystery performed by an engaging character, adding up to an entertainment experience that cannot be reduced to a blueprint, schematic, or pair of disembodied hands "teaching" to a webcam.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I agree that any magician worth his or her salt ah always made the illusions "their own."

I ALSO agree that this modern world of permanent archiving and instant retrieval is a bit scary.

But then again, the future always has been. Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 15:23, Ronin wrote:
I think he may really see himself as providing a service to would-be magicians. Which may be even scarier.

That is what he told me I gave him a call.

Quote:
To this generation, this type of online video learning isn't any different than the books on magic at the public library we used to check out as kids.

He told me the same thing over the phone. But I still see a difference. If a person wanted to go to the library to learn magic tricks, they would have to use more energy. That type of way they are earning how to perform magic. But over the internet, anybody worthless wanting to be a magician will search for "Secrets of magic".

Quote:
I just don't see any way we're going to be able to stop this kind of thing, and I think we're better off seeing the motivations behind this beyond dismissing the exposers ("he's a jerk"). We can berate the younger generation for this attitude, but it won't change anything.

I explained different tips to him over the phone. He thanked me for giving him different suggestions. They are listed below:

1. Make every explanation a paid video.
2. Just give out free explanations to a person if he/she bought so many of them.
3. Make it a forum too. After someone reach so many post, then make the explanations free to that person.
4. Just show easy cheap ones for free.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Secrets Revealed (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL