The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Secrets Revealed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Laurent van Trigt
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Laurent van Trigt
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 15:23, Ronin wrote:
I'm not really very happy about this, either.

In a recent column, Jon Racherbaumer described the experience of performing "Out of this World" for layperson. Racherbaumer had slipped and revealed the name of the effect, so the layperson whipped out his iPhone and googled "Out of this World card trick" and got a method pretty quickly.

I just don't see any way we're going to be able to stop this kind of thing, and I think we're better off seeing the motivations behind this beyond dismissing the exposers ("he's a jerk"). We can berate the younger generation for this attitude, but it won't change anything.



Well, in your example with Jon Racherbaumer, it seems the solution was simple: don't tell them the names of the effects! I have friends who actually name them differently to point them in the wrong direction just in case. And like I said, perform stuff that is still underground and be secretive about it.
Andrew Musgrave has a lot to say about how to deal with exposure on his wonderful blog: http://erlandish.blogspot.com/2006/12/er......dex.html
(see the chapters "thoughts on exposure")
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
With all due respect...

There are really no "secrets" in Magic, just illusionary techniques being sold.

Anyone can buy that trick/effect or any other trick/effect.

If Magic was really really secretive, no one would sell any techniques. At least not openly.

No Magic Shops. No Internet Dealers. No Conventions. No Classes.

Magicians would exist in some sort of secret cabal. We'd meet like the supposed Illuminati, in shadows, spoken of only in guarded conversations.

No such thing and you know it...

If he sells the secret then it's okay? Why? The secret is still out?

So let's just get on to performing well...

Imho...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Laurent van Trigt
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Laurent van Trigt
Quote:
On 2010-09-16 15:47, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
With all due respect...

There are really no "secrets" in Magic, just illusionary techniques being sold.


I may know a secret. Hmmmm, more than one actually...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-09-16 18:00, Laurent van Trigt wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-16 15:47, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
With all due respect...

There are really no "secrets" in Magic, just illusionary techniques being sold.


I may know a secret. Hmmmm, more than one actually...


Then guard it like it was gold... Imo... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Pakar-

As it seems you are cutting and pasting your "apostrophe" in every relevant thread, I feel I must do likewise with my response...

Pakar-

Continuing on the path of all "due respect" ...

BULLPUCKY!

However, on the off chance that you may be correct, could you please explain how Teller does The Rose?

Thanks!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 08:36, mandarin wrote:
Pakar-

As it seems you are cutting and pasting your "apostrophe" in every relevant thread, I feel I must do likewise with my response...

Pakar-

Continuing on the path of all "due respect" ...

BULLPUCKY!

However, on the off chance that you may be correct, could you please explain how Teller does The Rose?

Thanks!

Jim


Easier than writing it over, mandarin...

Bullpucky! Smile Never heard that one!

I am right btw... Smile

The Rose? For that, you have to ask Teller... Just because there are no "secrets", doesn't mean what technique there is out there is free...

Which is my point, 99% of this "secret" stuff can be bought. That's no "secret", that's a commodity.

ANYWAYS, it boils down to your point of view really...

With all due respect, of course...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Yeah, I wish I could tell you what bullpucky actually meant, Pakar, but I just used it 'cause I liked the way it sounded. Was about to go for "hogwash"...

Pakar- you're logic confuses me- if there are "no secrets" in magic what am I buying when I buy information as to how The Rose is done? How is "the unknown method for accomplishing that which almost no one knows how to do" much different from"secret"? How does parsing words help? And, what about the 1% (your estimate) that is NOT for sale? Would that not qualify as a "secret"? Does that fit in with "no secrets in magic"?

Btw, no comment on "apostrophe"? That was my best line!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Hehe... What would you like me to say about the "apostrophe"? Smile

Really, is it a "secret" or just a "technique"? Think about it...

The way you can get to the techniques in Magic is much like most any other techniques in most other fields of study. The availability of it I mean. Just pay, you get it. Try that with real secrets. Trying paying the Government for their Military Secrets over the counter and see how far you get...

I say it is up to your point of view because you can call anything "yet to be known" a "secret", it just sounds strange when in commerce, which is what it really is here...

I'll give you an example. If you went to learn say... First Aid. It would be very strange if the Instructor kept on calling the techniques being taught a "secret" as opposed to just a "technique"... "Here's the "secret" CPR technique..." Smile They COULD call it a "secret", but it would just sound strange...

Just to add, I use First Aid as an analogy because by right you should not then teach anyone else unless you're qualified to teach First Aid, regardless of how well you learned it. People still do however, much like in Magic. I know it's not the same thing exactly, but I hope you get my point...

But I digress...

How is "the unknown method for accomplishing that which almost no one knows how to do" much different from "secret"? The difference is again, a real secret is not available to everyone or anyone who can pay. It would not be a "secret" then...

If you don't agree, I say again, it's a point of view thing.

The 1%? That's just me being PC and covering my bases... Smile

Seriously though, there are "secrets" in Magic (yes, I said that...) BUT it is NOT in the techniques to accomplish Magic imho...

What is it?



Shhh... It's a secret. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Secrets Revealed (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.57 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL