We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sleeve-Star by David Jay & Wizard FX Productions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..14~15~16 [Next]
yoyomagic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of yoyomagic
Has anyone who has this had any issues with the set up. I have been fitting it all day and not had any success. I just can't find the perfect placement. Also I keep watching the DVD back to make sure I am following it correctly but I am finding the duo of Craig and David really annoying. I understand that Craig has to make sure that the DVD is shot well but I just feel its like watching a school teacher who has to keep correcting the student.

Maybe they could have supplied some written instructions along with the DVD with some nice diagrams.

Hopefully its just not me and again any advice would be great as this has real potential.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-10-04 14:44, Review King wrote:
As for things that go on sale right away, that doesn't mean much. You see deadly weapons such as C/S/B go on sale and no one questions the effectiveness of that time honored classic. I myself buy most things out of curiosity. Always the geek!

Crap…. I wish I just had one quarter of the money I spent on magic tricks out of mere curiosity years ago!
This is before computers, the Internet and DVD’s. Look through a catalog with a description of the trick, send a check and then wait an average of two to three weeks to get it. When I got it I more often than not felt like stretching the enclosed plastic bag over my head for being so stupid! Then I’d turn around the next week and do exactly the same thing all over again! I would tend to believe that many of us still purchase out of pure and simple curiosity, but things have changed a tad since the Internet and having the luxury of watching a demo if one was not able to see a demonstration at your local brick and mortar magic store. Then of course we have the luxury of having a large magic forum such as this one where people can discuss and read numerous reviews for just about anything one might possibly be interested in. But, yet there is and always be that nasty, and often times expensive little bug called “curiosity”! Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bill Malone tells of buying the multiplying spongeballs because the ad said "no sleight of hand needed". He opened it up and...it was ALL sleight of hand. But, it was so good he still does it today. That one happened to be a keeper.

In the 70's I'd mail order over $200 and get a box of junk and like you...do it all over again.

Now we have online demos, reviews and...I still do the same thing. But, don't burned as much like in the old days.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Hers is a post from our facebook page earlier today.
Jim
Quote:
Gary Sumpter wrote:- I've just watched the Sleeve Star DVD and installed it into a jacket. I have to be honest, after buying it I thought maybe I had bought something I wouldn't use. After watching the DVD and installing it, bugger me, I am a happy bunny right now! This thing is very very good. I have to admit I will have to reinstall in in...to a better jacket (mine isn't great for it, but don't let that put you off, it was a very stiff jacket, the only one I had around!). For me the BEST routine I will use it for is the signed coin to hand behind the back, yes that's probably the bottom rung of the ladder in terms of creatively coming up with new ideas, but you know what, tough doo doo, this routine/effect is TOP NOTCH and worth every penny paid. This is the first time I have bought something of a decent amount and NOT come back regretting it. David Jay and the WMS crew, hats off, you just refueled my creative fire, thank you!
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I do not think that any one who actuly installs it and tries it will be disapointed.. I took it out tonight and road tested a few this. After about 1 to 2 hours good use it becomes super easy to use...
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-10-04 21:48, Alan Rorrison wrote:
I do not think that any one who actuly installs it and tries it will be disapointed.. I took it out tonight and road tested a few this. After about 1 to 2 hours good use it becomes super easy to use...

That was fast!
Nothing like a good road test to get a good handle and proper perspective on it.
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Yeah man but its to hard not to.. When you know you have the ability to do what this does you will want to try it out lol...
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Someone on another thread asked if this needs a reset once done but no answer was given. Once you perform it, does it need to be reset, or is it immediately set to go again?
~Yogi Berra~

Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Once you have it set on your jacket you are ready to go... no reset etc.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I put on the jacket I'd use and did some sleeving and I think to have the signed coin end up in the opposite hand, that is behind your back, would be a miracle effect.

Here's why I think so:

Jason Dean has an effect on the J Team DVD set where you place a coin on the back of your forearm and snap your arm done and catch it ( an old stunt many do with multiple coins ). Well, you do it again and...your hand is empty, the coin appears in your opposite hand. The coin isn't signed, but people gasp when you do it.

Coin Teleportation with Sleeve Star could be a great follow up to this with the coin being signed.

kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4236 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On 2010-10-05 12:54, Review King wrote:
I put on the jacket I'd use and did some sleeving and I think to have the signed coin end up in the opposite hand, that is behind your back, would be a miracle effect.

Here's why I think so:

Jason Dean has an effect on the J Team DVD set where you place a coin on the back of your forearm and snap your arm done and catch it ( an old stunt many do with multiple coins ). Well, you do it again and...your hand is empty, the coin appears in your opposite hand. The coin isn't signed, but people gasp when you do it.

Coin Teleportation with Sleeve Star could be a great follow up to this with the coin being signed.

Kind of a different approach. The example you've mentioned would play more like a feat of dexterity or a puzzle while the straight forward Coin Teleportation routine can be more easily played as "real" magic.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-10-05 13:18, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-05 12:54, Review King wrote:

Here's why I think so:

Kind of a different approach. The example you've mentioned would play more like a feat of dexterity or a puzzle while the straight forward Coin Teleportation routine can be more easily played as "real" magic.

Good point raised!

Wouldn't the feat of dexterity be catching the coin with the hand of the arm that held the coin ( a stunt )? Having it appear in the other hand, which can be behind your back as well, would be more like real magic. No? It seems to play like that when I do it.

But, combining effects with this may not be the way to go with Coin Teleportaion.

kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4236 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Logically, yes, it's magical if one was to think about it but it was prefaced with a stunt. So basically it will give the feeling of a more impossible stunt that builds on the premise of the previous stunt. Mind you, this has very little bearing on audience response because amazing is still... amazing. The only real difference is the direction in which the spectator's mind goes in for solutions.

In no way am I implying that your idea is wrong or not good, it just feels like a different direction for what is technically the same trick, or to better phrase it, the context of the trick is framed differently in your example. Again, this boils down to what kind of a performer one is and what one is more comfortable with.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-10-05 15:34, kissdadookie wrote:
... Again, this boils down to what kind of a performer one is and what one is more comfortable with.

Oh, I'm terrible, which is why I went this route in thinking.

Thanks for the great posts!!!!

gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Wow, this thread certainly came to an abrupt halt! The same thing for its thread in; The Good, the Bad, and the Garbage. Could it possibly be that others are waiting to receive it before there is more discussion on it?
~Yogi Berra~

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 16:33, gaffed wrote:
Wow, this thread certainly came to an abrupt halt! The same thing for its thread in; The Good, the Bad, and the Garbage. Could it possibly be that others are waiting to receive it before there is more discussion on it?

Sort of speculation on your part.

:rotf:

kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4236 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Abrupt halt? I think all that could be said about it without revealing methods at this points has been discussed. We're all just waiting for the shops to receive the shipments!
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Well when you look back on it there only seems to be Alan Rorrison who has it so far and posted his thoughts on it. Not speculation! Smile

Anyway, I thought perhaps there may have been some further reviews on it in the; The Good, the Bad, and the Garbage forum, but like I said I imagine there are quite a few who are still waiting to receive it. So, in essence, there has only been Alan who has posted with hands on experience and I would hardly call that remotely close to "revealing" anything! Then again, reviews on this would then not be in this forum. By the way, Penguin Magic says that they have had them in stock for the past three days!
~Yogi Berra~

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Kissadookie posted that she has it and likes it very much.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 17:11, gaffed wrote:

Then again, reviews on this would then not be in this forum.

Then why post about it here? Oh, that's right, you were only speculating.

:sun:

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sleeve-Star by David Jay & Wizard FX Productions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL