The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sleeve-Star by David Jay & Wizard FX Productions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..14~15~16 [Next]
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 17:21, Cyberqat wrote:
Kissadookie posted that she has it and likes it very much.

Where?

Quote:
On 2010-10-07 16:43, kissdadookie wrote:
We're all just waiting for the shops to receive the shipments!

Quote:
On 2010-10-07 17:37, Review King wrote:

Then why post about it here? Oh, that's right, you were only speculating.

Jeez! I'm sorry I even brought it up!
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I'll do a full review for you
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
First off, I'm not a she.

Secondly, I never said I had it (though I have a pretty good idea what this is, but not the the nuances of it's operation).

Lastly, Penguin just got some in this week a day or two ago, I think reviews and feedback from more people will start flowing in shortly, I'm surely excited.

Love the concept and just waiting for more feedback on the all important set up from more people as they receive the product Smile
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 17:47, kissdadookie wrote:

Whew! Glad we got that straightened out! Many times I refer to someone in my posts as; “He said this, or he said that.” and I was no longer sure how to refer to you seeing that your user name is obviously not gender specific and you have no picture of yourself. Smile

Quote:
...I think reviews and feedback from more people will start flowing in shortly, I'm surely excited.

Love the concept and just waiting for more feedback on the all important set up from more people as they receive the product Smile
That is all I was asking about in my post and you replied with:
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 16:43, kissdadookie wrote:
I think all that could be said about it without revealing methods at this points has been discussed.

Maybe I should go back to bed, wake up and try to start this day all over again! As of right now I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone! Smile
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
You should Gaffed. Maybe your sarcastic humour would actually become himourous when you awake. Ha ha ha.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 20:58, kissdadookie wrote:
You should Gaffed. Maybe your sarcastic humour would actually become himourous when you awake. Ha ha ha.

?? Just wherein was my sarcasm? I never meant any, nor did I ever imply such in any way shape or form! I simply stated my confusion as to my post and the ensuing response that I got! If however I did would you kindly please point it out to me? If you can, I would be more than willing to apologize! If by chance you are referring to my response as to what Cyberqat posted, and my response to it, I was simply pointing out that perhaps he (for some reason) mistakenly thought you were a female and was glad that mistake was cleared up. With that said, I was simply trying to make light of the matter! If that is indeed the problem, for heavens sake, lighten up my man and have the common sense to realize when someone is merely joking about a mistake that Cybergat made! Smile
~Yogi Berra~

Joaquin
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
Hey guys lets get back to the effect. Did any one received their order already ?. This was suppose to be release on October 4th right ?

Any reviews ?

Thanks
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Problem with reading things on a forum: the tone of which things are said is usually misinterpreted Smile
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:

hehe

I'm sorry. Your name and drawing threw me. Another problem with forum posts.

And I apologize if I misunderstood your earlier post. From the way you were describing it I assumed you had it.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 22:23, kissdadookie wrote:
Problem with reading things on a forum: the tone of which things are said is usually misinterpreted Smile

All too true. Believe me, I know as I own and run a forum site myself and the typewritten word can more often than not lead to much confusion. Well, except for the tongue emoticon! Smile

Quote:
On 2010-10-07 22:09, Joaquin wrote:
Hey guys lets get back to the effect. Did any one received their order already ?. This was suppose to be release on October 4th right ?

Any reviews ?

Thanks

Yes, the release date was the 4th, but as said Penguin Magic supposedly has had it in stock for about three days (and probably some others). I’m sure that within a few more days or so more reviews will be forthcoming. Also, Alan Rorrison has it and he might possibly place a review on it.

Quote:
On 2010-10-07 22:35, Cyberqat wrote:

hehe

I'm sorry. Your name and drawing threw me. Another problem with forum posts.

And I apologize if I misunderstood your earlier post. From the way you were describing it I assumed you had it.

If by drawing you’re referring to his avatar it would then seem like we have a hell of a lot of females on this site! Smile

Sorry, maybe its best if I stop trying to joke as it seems to get me into trouble and I’m getting much too old to handle the ensuing misinterpretations! Anyway, such are the mistakes made all too often on any given forum site as you and I pointed out. So……….let’s get all get back to the subject at hand and my apologies for any misunderstandings. Whew! Smile
~Yogi Berra~

roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
845 Posts

Profile of roblane
I have it and I like it. I can't sl***e yet, so lots of practise to come, BUT I have say I feel it will be worth it. The transportation effect alone is an absolute stunner imho. I've bought things before that require learning a new skill and have given up without putting the effort in or found another way of achieving the same end result but I honestly can't see an easier way of performing this effect. The actual operation of the sleeve star is a doddle, so if you can already sleeve you can be performing miracles straight away ( after fitting it) . Hope this helps anyone whose undecided
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I hope folks that received Sleeve Star will start posting reviews. Good, great or poor, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Matthew U
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of Matthew U
Sleeve star by Davidjay . To start of it is BRILLANT . It's so great it's unreal . To start of it is like real magic . if real magic exsisted this is what it would be . The video is what it is like . Nocuts . I have mine about 6 days ago and I have been testing this out in my local resturment and people freak out when they see what just happened . One of my favourite routines is signed coins across . It is this because with all coins across out there you have to use something special which there is not wrong with and I still use them but this version is great for on the spot coins across when you don't have no gaffs with you . And the one coin trick version is also great . And like someone else said when it's in your sleeve it is like self - working . It is worth every penny and I would be happy to pay more for it . This is the closest thing to real magic and everyone should own one because it's brilliant . The dvd is also recorded good with good instructions by David himself and Craig Petty . It gives you some routines on there which are fantastic . This is limited to your own imagation . Well done david Smile Matthew
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
Great product, good DVD, may be a tad overpriced IMHO, but I haven't had the chance to test it out on real audiences and get reactions.
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Well, it certainly seems to be taking off good and well received with those that have it. If it does indeed work as good as depicted, and it would seem so that it does, I don’t think the price is at all out of line. Some people tend to forget all of the work that goes into certain effects before it’s ever placed into production. As I understand it, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is that David Jay is, or least was making all of these devices himself. Even then, there are some who say the price should have been more.

Perhaps I should take the time to learn how to do a decent sleeve of a coin with my left hand! If I can perhaps learn how to do it decently I’d certainly buy this in a New York minute! Seems like one hell of an arsenal to have on hand, or perhaps I should say, in ones jacket, and or shirt. I was very tempted to place an order for it yesterday morning, but after just spending well over $5,000 for a new roof I’d better lay low for awhile! By the way, how well, and into what depth if at all, does David go into the technique of sleeving on the DVD?
~Yogi Berra~

kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
My snapping is actually better with my left hand however, I'm right handed so for all intent and purpose, naturalness prevails for me.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
First day I thought: sh*#<.. I found the explanation to be very annoying.
Sorry Craig but why did you corrected David Jay all the time like a little child?
He did'nt even had time to say "good bye" at the end of the DVD.. If I were him I would have run to another company. I understand that it is very important to make it crystal clear for the viewers (thanks for the intention) but that could be also accomplished in a more friendly way or by a arrangement beforehand.

Quote:
On 2010-10-04 16:04, yoyomagic wrote:
Has anyone who has this had any issues with the set up. I have been fitting it all day and not had any success. I just can't find the perfect placement. Also I keep watching the DVD back to make sure I am following it correctly but I am finding the duo of Craig and David really annoying. I understand that Craig has to make sure that the DVD is shot well but I just feel its like watching a school teacher who has to keep correcting the student.

Maybe they could have supplied some written instructions along with the DVD with some nice diagrams.

Hopefully its just not me and again any advice would be great as this has real potential.

exactly what I thought when watching the DVD first time.

the setup:

It was also not that easy for me to install everything correctly right away.
First the jacket must be suitable for sleeving.
It's not just the sleeve that I am referring to here (which of course must be "open enough" to catch a coin) but also some seams inside the sleeve, especially around the armpit area. Another thing is the fabric inside the sleeve.
If anything is to much information/exposure please delete it.
If it is a bit loose you can get in trouble. That's what I found out after 6 trials.
Of course if it is not installed properly it won't make much fun.. because it won't work. I also can't see myself transfer it from one jacket to another.. you are just lucky when it works!

I am also not sure if I would use this with very expansive jackets.
(Due to the fabrics used for most jackets. Holes made by needles can easily pull strings out.)

But I am happily finished with it and I am darn happy what I have in my hands.

Handling:

The first successful coin teleportation was really exciting!
You hold the coin in your hand, close it, the coin vanishes and appear a second later in your other hand. What ever you will do with it there you just miles ahead for any effect.

First, I am a sleeving greenhorn. But I already had very good results in the first hours of practise.
It really really feelt amazing beeing able to let a coin vanish and make it instantly appear in the other hand WITHOUT obvious moves!!

I recommend this special sleeving technique because it is so clean and also help to disguise the method.
More important is to make the sleeving look invisible.
The good old mirror, practice and some magician friends will help.

The techniques are all very well explained!

Routines:

My favorite routines are the simple yet ingenious "coin teleportation" and the "coins across".
You can buy a coin across for 400$ or you just do it with sleeve star and ungimmicked! different! borrowed! and signed coins! very visual. Even if it needs good training to hide the method. What also makes sense for me is to use sleeve star with gimmicked coins to make some miracles appear even more possible.

"coins to pocket" is also really nice.

All in all give it some time (even the preparation!) you won't be dissapointed.
The principle reminded me to another effect out there which was'nt mentioned in the credits of the DVD. I will not mention it here because it tells a lot about Sleeve Star. I could imagine that it also inspired here. Anyways.

It is really fantastic!
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
I love the simplicity of the coin from hand to hand, it reminds me of an effect by Richard Sanders on his DVDs, his was a card effect. I think we all forget sometimes just how powerful a direct effect can be for joe public. If I wore a suit more often in performances I'd get this Smile

Nice work though, love the effect.

MS
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Argh, my worse feer, pinning or sewing something on to my jacket lining!
Matthew U
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of Matthew U
Hi gaffed . On the DVD he teaches your three or four different ways to sleeve . Some of them are easy and than there are more practice ones for you . Also for the teaching on the DVD I think craig is only trying to help and cover everything . Hopes this helps . Matthew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sleeve-Star by David Jay & Wizard FX Productions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL