The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sleeve-Star by David Jay & Wizard FX Productions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
This can't be taken lightly.
The main demo that Penguin uses to advertise Sleeve Star has Craig and David on it with the same routine as the demo that Stucky refers to.
In both cases I believe that Sleeve Star has not been used in the Trick.
Instead I believe two coins have been used.
There is less body movement with the two coins and hence it looks magical.
And only Craig can verify the legitimacy of the signed coin/coins, given that he was on the spot.
He would have us believe that the coin that goes in the left hand is the same one that appears in the right hand.
Sad to say but I based my purchase on this demo.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
I own sleevestar and was a big critic at the beginning!
I even said first that two coins could have been in play..
and it was not taken seriously at all...

Quote:
On 2010-11-18 06:27, F.ambro wrote:
In order to accomplish sleeve star, we are required to do 2 sets of things (which are repeatedly emphasized in the instructions). None of those appear to be done in the demo. Yet the performance on the DVD differs completely than the one in the demo. Why is that? why are the 2 sets of things not shown in the Demo?
Therefore, David has to be using some other method in the demo since if you claim that the performance in the demo is the same as instructed in the dvd, then you have bent the laws of physics.

Which demo are you guys refering to?
the coin teleportation?
Can someone please PM me to point out the discrepancy mentioned here.

From my own expirience:

With a straight arm and the right technique the coin needs just a second to appear in the other hand!
It takes some time, fast technique and the right setting BUT it works.

The effect really is recognized by spectators as shown in the demo!
Not only recognized but seen.
For me at this point, a real discrepancy is not exsisting here as it also remain on timing.

The only disadvantage for me here is the high price and missing flexibility!
You will not want to put the same sleeve star from one jacket into another after you have finished the set up.. believe me...

What looks a little bit suspicious in the demo is the fact that Jays arm is not straight at all. Both arms remain very static and the timing of moves seem wrong to me. But I can't see a problem here. It works like described!

The coin is signed, the other hand moves behind your back, the coin is vanished (both arms are static) you turn around and boom.. Impossible and very practical..

If you really want to kill with this gimmick -> make up your own mystery and try to use it completly invisible. Imagine you are more than one ahead with this method. Why teleporting the coin in your other hand when it can appear just everywhere under impossible conditions?!?

all the best,
Martin

PS: I don't want to hype this product at all just say that it works.
If you have followed this thread from the beginning you may have noticed how much I dislike hyping and empty phrases.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
To Stucky and everyone else that has commented I would like to say thank you for your comments. I have passed them on to David Jay and he has taken them as a massive compliment.

I don't have the time to continue to go back and forth about this I let me just say one thing.

THE DEMO WAS NOT FAKED. No editing, no cuts, no dupe coins just a no thrills demo.

David has performed this live for over a thousand people and a lot of the time this results in a sale. The footage from LADS will be uploaded soon and David will be happy to show anyone the effect In person exactly as it appears in the trailer.

Hope this helps

Craig
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Alright, before I stop talking about this on the thread like I said I would I want to clarify something.

I have never said it doesn't do what it's advertised to do. I have also NEVER said it won't do the coin teleport live.

What I am on about is the fact the demo was using duplicate coins to accomplish the same effect that would be done live. The reason is to hide the suspicious movements that would otherwise not be noticed in a live situation.

I have no doubt it works live in person under proper misdirection. However, to show a "too perfect" scenario on a demo to sell the effect and that is NOT what you are taught is un-ethical. (to be fair, the Anniversary Coins demo appears to be on the up and up)

Mull it over in your brains a bit and make up your own minds with the given evidence. You have been warned.
Official Thread Killer
F.ambro
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of F.ambro
If David is capable to showing the effect in person exactly the same as in the DEMO, then why does he not do that in the instructions DVD? The performances and the explanation on the DVD differ from the DEMO.
nowyoucme
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of nowyoucme
I do not own this myself but everything that the Wizard Product review has said it was good, It was GOOD. It was great. I only buy the new things if thay give it a good review. Sometimes the videos you see my be a little diff because us not the laymen are looking more closely to try and figure it out. I myself have found out how somethings were done by badly made video's.. CP and DP are the man. I will be getting this just because thay love it.
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Nowyoucme: Sleeve-Star hasn't been reviewed on the The Wizard Product Review. Wizard FX - the makers of The Wizard Product Review - are also the company behind Sleeve-Star. For obvious reasons, they don't review their own products.
Joaquin
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
Craig, I am looking forward for the Lecture Video. Please keeps us posted.

Sleeving is an art and it also requires several body movements for delivery and missdirection. You can accomplish the same transpo effect by combining some sleight of hand with some sleeving. But if this prop can help you deliver the same object where you want it and and at the same time reduce the number of movements, swith traigh or bent arm, then it is worth the investment.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2010-11-19 22:47, Joaquin wrote:
Craig, I am looking forward for the Lecture Video. Please keeps us posted.

Sleeving is an art and it also requires several body movements for delivery and missdirection. You can accomplish the same transpo effect by combining some sleight of hand with some sleeving. But if this prop can help you deliver the same object where you want it and and at the same time reduce the number of movements, swith traigh or bent arm, then it is worth the investment.

Sleeving only really requires the minor movement of two parts of the body, finger and wrist. (when done right) Sleeving the object with SS is the same, retrieving it creates extra movement with your other arm.
Official Thread Killer
Nickle
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Nickle
I also can’t wait for the video. I’ve been eyeing Sleeve-Star since it came out. My only hesitation has been whether or not it would work in my suit jacket. From what I’ve read, it works in some but not in others. Would anyone (anyone that knows) be willing to send me a PM and explain what jackets have not been working?
Thank you in advance.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It really just depends on the cut of the jacket and how much room it has in certain areas...this works better in a jacket that has a bit more room to work. If it's too tight you may have more trouble using it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
So aside from 150$, if you don't have a proper jacket you have to spend even more money to make this work? Yah that's worth it.
Official Thread Killer
Joaquin
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
Sturky.

It sounds that you really want this trick. If you did not you would not be posting so much in this area.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Yer right. I want this trick so badly... to not rip people off.
Official Thread Killer
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2010-11-18 08:57, Stucky wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-18 06:11, Craig Petty wrote:
Why would we fake a demo to hide a method we have been so open about?

I been wondering the same thing this whole time mate. Look Craig, everyone who owns this or knows how it works has seen through this ruse. I am not trying to be petty or vengeful, just helping keep an eye out for the little guy. Being vague at this point is just silly. Just say, "Yes we used dupe coins. I'm sorry." (You can even leave out the sorry part if yer actually not.)

However, if you truly did NOT fake it, then say so as well. I will then leave all this alone and give you benefit of doubt. (However, you will have to answer to those whose eyes I have opened. Welcome to the Matrix.)

Apparently you won't leave the issue alone, however I never expected you would. Stucky you seem intent on 'killing this thread' but as you are the official thread killer I should not be surprised.

I will say it again, we did not fake the trailer and you constant accusations are becoming funny. I'll be honest myself and David Jay had a good laugh about you the other night so thanks for that, much appreciated

I asked you once but you didn't answer so I'll ask once more can I have your real name. You say you have years of experience as a sleever then tell me who you are, maybe I've heard of you. I cannot take your rants seriously any more until I know who you are. Is that too much to ask?

Craig
F.ambro
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of F.ambro
Craig,
Maybe you can explain to the rest of us why the demo is different than the actual performance?
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I said I would leave the demo issue alone and I have.

Glad I can bring you enjoyment with my inane prattle.

Feel free to not take anything I say seriously for whatever reason or another. However, maybe you should address the concerns of others who have/will buy this effect.
Official Thread Killer
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Craig, the issue is not whether the DEMO was edited. The issue is that the demo is different than the actual performance. I just bought this and am very disappointed. I trusted you Craig, but I should have listened to Stucky. Stucky's issue is right on, and it has nothing to do with whether he demo was edited. The demo WAS NOT edited. But why was the demo different than actual performance??? This is misleading at best, and I won't even say what it is at worst...
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Like already said I love sleeve star.
But the demo Is different.
Static, bended arms! the moment of retrieving the coin is not visible.
I also can imagine it was done to hide the method.
Maybe the LADS material will clarify things..
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
What demo r you guys talking about. ive only ever seen the one on the dvd I think
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sleeve-Star by David Jay & Wizard FX Productions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL