The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Narrowing one's repertoire (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
438 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Y'know.....I'm an odd duck......(or maybe I just like to think I am!)

I'm the classic hobbyist: I "hide" a'lot by reading magic books. I go thru fits of practicing, then don't touch anything for days at a time.
But.....I do AGONIZE over the effects I do/don't put into my repertoire......I mean, I think A'LOT about whether I should/should not perform this trick or that trick

I've recently "chucked it all".....and have declared that I only do "2 tricks!!!"

[Those being Danny Archer's "Animental" and a little effect from Mark Wilson's book using a DB card (it's good!)......

has anyone else ever done this? Just decided, "I don't feel good about those 8 tricks....I'm not doing them for a while."

....I'm a little rambly today!
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Jack McMillen over the years had a large repertiore and invented many tricks. As the years passed, he narrowed down his repertoire to the ones he could remember. His logic was that if he couldn't remember his own trick, it must not have been worth remembering.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
The core is the core is the core. My core is two sets of 3 for the street. After that I play with this and that mostly for my own gratification. Occaisonally something will make it into the freewheeling after dinner show.
You know why don't act naive.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-09-03 14:10, Paul Budd wrote:

I'm the classic hobbyist: I "hide" a'lot by reading magic books. I go thru fits of practicing, then don't touch anything for days at a time.
But.....I do AGONIZE over the effects I do/don't put into my repertoire......I mean, I think A'LOT about whether I should/should not perform this trick or that trick

I've recently "chucked it all".....and have declared that I only do "2 tricks!!!"

[Those being Danny Archer's "Animental" and a little effect from Mark Wilson's book using a DB card (it's good!)......

has anyone else ever done this? Just decided, "I don't feel good about those 8 tricks....I'm not doing them for a while."

Man you have my full admiration! Wish I could do that, too! But I'm another Jay Sankey. Just GOTTA do different things.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Yes, the core is very important but variety keeps you on your toes.
You can perform the same act in tourist areas or large venues. If you have a steady gig in a small club, the regulars expect to see new material every week.
If your character and performance skills are in place it's not difficult. Routines that work especially well eventually become part of the core. Sort of a natural rotation where the cream floats to the top.

It's good to occasionally look back on the things that didn't work so well in the past. Maybe today there is a different approach or more experience to pull it off.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There was a time that I was being asked by family and friends to do 'a trick' every time I saw them. Because of this I was constantly learning new stuff and probably not as well as I should have.
I still had my few effects for gigs but those went fairly quick in these situations.
It came to a point where I began say, "I have nothing new." and the asking eventually stopped.

I haven't accepted any gig in the past couple of years because I had to get away for a while. I still have a few standbys that I do well and will do one or two of those when asked. Yes, I have gone from 'magician' to 'trickster' and it don't bother me one bit.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I especially know what you guys are saying about your situation determines your repertoire. if you are performing for the same crowd ,you need a constant inflow of new material.

But if you are always entertaining a different crowd, you can live off the same 6 effects for a life time.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-09-03 15:55, HerbLarry wrote:
The core is the core is the core. My core is two sets of 3 for the street. After that I play with this and that mostly for my own gratification. Occaisonally something will make it into the freewheeling after dinner show.

Yes! I really think that is the secret, Herb! First of all, when I am "playing" with this new idea and that, I am usually at the 11th hour and really not fully focused- it is just that- play. When I am practicing for a gig, it is also just that- real practice when I am fully engaged.

I feel it is a mistake to forsake one for the other. Pull back to just 2 effects you really practice, and you will be like one one-gun owner... deadly! But enjoy looking into other magic almost as a "busman's holiday" of sorts, if anyone here is old enough to understand that phrase...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Paul
It appears that you are doing two tricks that nobody else does, congratulations. Do what ever satisfies your need for magic, afterall you are an amatuer, and there is no pressure on you to know 100 tricks.

HAVE FUN
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Just the ones they ask me to do for their friends. Until a trick passes that test pretty regularly it's just a plaything for me.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
I think it was the great David Devant who was apporoached by an amateur who said he did dozens of tricks, the master Devant said he did only six tricks.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I say, have Six Routines, not Six Tricks you do well.

However, to get your Six Routines, you have to go through as many ideas, experimentation and tricks that interests you...

Imo...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-09-03 14:10, Paul Budd wrote:

Hi Paul,

You have articulated a ramble well worth chasing.

You describe a syndrome that has been expressed to me by many practitioners - professionals and hobbyists alike.

In my case, the line might read, “"I don't feel good about those 80 tricks....I'm not doing them for a few decades."
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Narrowing one's repertoire (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL