The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Biggest crowd pleasers? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
Hi all,

I recently caught the magic bug, especially in terms of coin magic. I've been studying Bobo's Modern Coin Magic (book and 4 DVD set), and have just started on Roth's Expert Coin Magic (book for now, working on getting the DVD).

I have a general understanding of the basics and would like to start putting together a small routine. The sample routines in Bobo's don't really suit my tastes because I don't like using handkerchiefs and gaffed coins, and the routines themselves just don't seem as catching as I'd like them to be.

So for now, I'd just like to get a sampling of what's been working for other people. What are your biggest crowd pleasers? Any suggestions to good ideas for climaxes would be most helpful as well.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Maverick, do you mean that you want suggestions from Bobo's (As there are some great effects in there) or do you mean from other sources.

Also, so that we can help you, how long have you been practising coin magic for? As this will enable us to suggest routines / effects that you will be able to do.
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Mav,

Welcome to the Café. Sounds you are off to a great start here. You can't go wrong with Bobo and Roth. Bobo gets you the moves and Roth will get you the routines. You may also want to look into getting some of the New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD's there are multitudes of routines in there from Doc Rubinstein, Roth, Gallo and other talented Coin guys. I would suggest starting with some basic stuff like a good 1 Coin routine, Coins across, Copper Silver, Coin/Card Matrix and a 3 Fly. That should keep you busy.

Good luck and keep practicing.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Wait, before we can welcome you in you must KNOW...It's the only way.

There will be many tests but for now...What card am I thinking of?

The 8 of Spades, you say???

Well come on in and pull up a chair...And Welcome to the Café. Smile

To me you've already struck gold in Bobo's, Roth and the Café here...3 for 3 ain't too shabby. Smile Good suggestions here from some good guys who know their stuff and gauging how far you are a long is most helpful as soldier told you.

As TC implied, there's a ton of stuff out there and if it's routines you want, well Roth will give them to you and then some, he's a true Master. Of course there are others who have put in some real work but they will become known to you in time.

The effects mentioned are a good place to start once you think you've got the basics down good enough through some solid practice. Just those 4-5 routines mentioned here teach you a whole lot and when you get them down good, then you'll be able to take off and go just about anywhere, possibly even a few places unknown if you can find them. Smile

It's a great journey, a lot of fun and now that you've come here you'll never be alone. Again, "Welcome." Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-09-03 17:33, truesoldier wrote:
Hi Maverick, do you mean that you want suggestions from Bobo's (As there are some great effects in there) or do you mean from other sources.

Also, so that we can help you, how long have you been practising coin magic for? As this will enable us to suggest routines / effects that you will be able to do.

I've been practicing all summer... and I mean ALL summer. So while I've only had a few months of experience, I'm a pretty quick learner. Thus far, I have a good amount of Bobo's tricks like the Gadabout coin and Bobo's Winged silver in relatively decent order. I'm working on getting that multi coin palm for Touch of Midas.

While suggestions from Bobo's or Roth's would be best (since I have those 2 to start with), I'm open to other books/dvds I can get ahold of. Just note that I'm on a college student budget, so I'm generally less inclined to purchase single tricks for $15 - $30 a pop.

Quote:
I would suggest starting with some basic stuff like a good 1 Coin routine, Coins across, Copper Silver, Coin/Card Matrix and a 3 Fly. That should keep you busy.

I'm really interested in 1 coin routines... Does anyone know if they're good for openers and drawing people in? Or should I start with something a bit more flashy?

I also like the effect of copper/silver transpositions that happen in the spectator's hands, but I'd like to avoid having to buy a C/S coin or scotch/soda. Is there a good way of doing this without having to pull something with a crazy Morritt palm?
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
A one coin flurry is a great beginning/opener IMHO. Magically produce a coin, then let it rip. Roth's lapel coin is a beauty...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
[quote]On 2010-09-03 18:57, mavericklancer wrote:
Quote:
I also like the effect of copper/silver transpositions that happen in the spectator's hands, but I'd like to avoid having to buy a C/S coin or scotch/soda. Is there a good way of doing this without having to pull something with a crazy Morritt palm?

You rang??? Smile Not sure you're ready for all that yet. Smile Grab yourself a little 1 coin routine like bags is telling you and take your time. I know you got 2 months under your belt and that's something but you're talking to guys that have 5, 10, 20yrs+ in on this stuff. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Can anyone point me in the direction of another 1 coin flurry other than the one in roths expert magic? His directions are a bit awkward to follow for me so I'll have to wait for the DVD next week for that.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Hey Mavericklancer,

I know right now you want to learn all the cool coin tricks. But, I recommend you work only on one coin trick and the presentation for it. This way you will have something to show someone instead of half learning a bunch of tricks but eventually having nothing to show for it.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-09-03 23:54, mavericklancer wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of another 1 coin flurry other than the one in roths expert magic?

Take a look at John Bannon's One is the Onliest in his (book) Smoke and Mirrors. The ending kills.
Ruldar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Ruldar
I have two recommendations of one coin routines that are possible for the early performer (with a little practice), and both guys hang out on the Café:
Tim Feher's One Coin 2.0
Marion Boykin has several great ones

Good luck Maverick.
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Quote:
On 2010-09-03 23:54, mavericklancer wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of another 1 coin flurry other than the one in roths expert magic? His directions are a bit awkward to follow for me so I'll have to wait for the DVD next week for that.

Check out Tim Feher's "One Coin 2.0" That would be a good 1 coin routine to start with.

http://vinnymarini.com/download/onecoin2.html

And then for inspiration (and frustration) Smile check out Ponta the Smith's 1 coin routine. That may take a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp2ao97oxDQ&feature=related

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Maverick, I have to say that MB and the rest of the guys are giving you some great advice. However if you want some eye candy in regards to a one coin routine, then do a search for David Stones One Coin Routine. (I think you'll like it)
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Ruldar and TC,
Thanks for the support it means a lot to me.

Maverick
I sent over a welcoming gift, I hope it helps in your journey in coin magic.

My door is always open if you need something.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Wow, one coin 2.0 was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Feher... you rock!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Mavericklancer

I'll let you in on a little secret...you already have all the crowd pleasers and show stoppers you will ever need. IT'S YOU!!! It's all about how you present your magic and how you present yourself. A simple vanish and reproduction of a coin can be the most amazing thing your audience will ever see if you give them a reason to believe so.

Forget more books...forget more DVD's at this moment. You say you have Bobo's and the Roth book. Those two books alone will supply you with a life time of coin magic. But trust me when I say this...until you truly study those books...the material in them...until you have turned those tricks into a part of you...worked them to death in front of an audience...until you do this...you will never have a show stopper no matter what your next purchase is!!!

And DO NOT neclect Bobo's. OK, you don't want to use silks or gaffs in your coin magic...well guess what, that's only a small portion of tricks in that book. Bobo's has a plethora of tricks just screaming out for Maverlancer to turn them into show stoppers. GIVE THEM A CHANCE!

Magic in general...especially coin magic is not just about a couple months of getting the basics...it's a life time process...take your time, enjoy the journey. But most important of all...don't continue buying until you have truly learned what you have. Otherwise you will only set yourself up with frustrations and coin magic overload.

Mike
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 12:53, mike gallo wrote:
Mavericklancer

I'll let you in on a little secret...you already have all the crowd pleasers and show stoppers you will ever need. IT'S YOU!!! It's all about how you present your magic and how you present yourself. A simple vanish and reproduction of a coin can be the most amazing thing your audience will ever see if you give them a reason to believe so.

Forget more books...forget more DVD's at this moment. You say you have Bobo's and the Roth book. Those two books alone will supply you with a life time of coin magic. But trust me when I say this...until you truly study those books...the material in them...until you have turned those tricks into a part of you...worked them to death in front of an audience...until you do this...you will never have a show stopper no matter what your next purchase is!!!

And DO NOT neclect Bobo's. OK, you don't want to use silks or gaffs in your coin magic...well guess what, that's only a small portion of tricks in that book. Bobo's has a plethora of tricks just screaming out for Maverlancer to turn them into show stoppers. GIVE THEM A CHANCE!

Magic in general...especially coin magic is not just about a couple months of getting the basics...it's a life time process...take your time, enjoy the journey. But most important of all...don't continue buying until you have truly learned what you have. Otherwise you will only set yourself up with frustrations and coin magic overload.

Mike

How very true, and explained so well by an expert in the field.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Just Pretend" from Bobo is a nice one coin routine.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 13:24, truesoldier wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 12:53, mike gallo wrote:
Mavericklancer

Mike

How very true, and explained so well by an expert in the field.

Yes, I agree soldier and that's pretty much what I was trying to say here but of course coming from the likes of Mike Gallo, well 'nuff said. But Mav sounds like he's in candyshop mode here. Smile We've all been there early-on and this is his early-on I suppose. He wasn't too interactive until someone here gave him some candy I see, though we all gave him something that will last a lot longer than any little piece of sweets, I actually started to do that myself but he never responded to all the welcome... Smile He'll come to recognize the many words of wisdom here one day along the way, I'm sure...Just the same, best of luck to him.

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
No matter what or "who" you do, please take time to connect with your audiences.

That I find is the real joy for them.(and myself included)

I still go back to the basics, to build on. That could be Bobo or Dr R's encyclopedia in DVD or Video.

Know your audiences and be able to adapt to your surroundings.

I like combining sounds/music to my routines. This could be the band or piped in music, during a walk around.

In addition I also have fun with
a. mosquito whistles (2 or 3 put in the mouth with ends not lined up gives a great alien sound)
b. harmonica..(from ole susanna to blues...to a classical minuet in D (or G)
C. other mouth sounds...

Actual routines...
1. one coin flurry with ending other than a large coin these days...(apple..used to use a cookie until I stopped eating them, large ball bearing/used to use a small shot putt..will tell the story why I stopped using them sometime
2. Coin rolls...to vanishes...1 at a time without going to the pocket or use of sleeves...sometimes into thin air sometimes into my or spectators hat...
3....stay tuned....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Biggest crowd pleasers? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL