The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » What's the going rate? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I just did a gig last night.

It was last minute as they had hired someone else that ended up in the hospital so they called me. I asked what he was going to charge for the 2 hours and they said $135. There was not a chance that I would of gone that low but since it was last minute and they were in a bad situation I told them I would do it for $200. We all know two hours is never really 2 hours. So I was there for 2.5 hours.

I should have charged them more as they had Fred Penner perform. He is a singer that used to have a national children's show. They obviously had money but if someone is willing to charge them only $135 this is not a good sign for my community.
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Thanks Jay,

Sadly, I know the drill; I've been at this off and on since the late 70s, with a break from ~ 83-97, so I have had many come and go over the years. In 2008, from mid-August through Mid Oct, I lost 3 weeklies (of 4) due to the economy, and shifting budgets. One I had been at for over 5 years, but they were struggling to stay afloat, and saw this as an expense, instead of an investment. (I later found out that they were prepping to have a partner sell out, so that may have played into it.)

What 'hurt' here (from the last post) is that his 'given' reason was so ridiculous, as he even said (it might be) when I called in response to his e-mail. Also, the replacements are folks with talent, but charge less than their value (leaving out a lot of details, here). It could be that they approached him, and he saw a bargain, so found an excuse.

I have been beating bushes in an effort to find another weekly, but have not been successful, yet. I have been doing some DJ/KJ work for a friend, using that to market my balloon skills, too.

I do higher 1st hour, lower additional hour pricing, but view it more as adding a premium on the first due to the cost of travel, marketing, set-up, etc., then charge a bit on the high side of the going rate for multiple hours (about the same as the entertainment brokers charge). As one of the areas' more skilled artists (among a couple of handfuls of others in the same league, and beyond), it is only right that my/our rates should be higher than someone who is neither a long-time entertainer, nor capable of doing more than a dozen or so balloon designs, compared to hundreds, plus the ability to do 'creations' when time allows. This is tempered by the economy, some others who don't know their worth more charging what the dog and sword crowd charge (and I mean no disrespect to the folks who know less; I was a magician who did a couple dozen designs 10 years ago -- but with entertainment experience since 75!) and what the traffic will bear. I recently had a local restaurant that I have recently done a trial night for comment about a very good price offer (Nearly $100 off my regular 2 hour rate, but not quite what he'll get if he were to have me in weekly, during the week). He doesn't seem to remember that his burgers are more than double Mickey D's, and for good reason. . . same here. . . ;-) "That's more than I'm paying Santa. . ." Hmm, is Santa in a $50- $100 suit, and puts it on 'cuz he can laugh? I wear ~ $1,000, plus have taken seminars and schools for Santa, and I have also spent thousands on continuing education for Balloon art and magic.

So, the going rate in my area is a little below what my multi-hour rate is. I know that I could charge more, but I want to work. I am solely responsible for my living expenses, and perform full-time (with an occasional hit on some side income. . .) My rate is in line with what others in my area, and who have similar talents (and know it), are charging.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
I'm just lost a restaurant myself and will be "pounding the pavement" trying to land another restaurant or two myself. My advice is go for home-owned or franchised so you can deal with the owner, not the ever-changing GM, and give 'em a free night.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Interesting yet snide gambit.

He likes it but wants an excuse out

Mr corporate store: I asked corporate said NO...

Me: Sorry to hear that .... so district manager doesn't trust you judgment ... how sad?

They may stammer and say : hey why don't we do a trial run?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » What's the going rate? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL