The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Hobbit Movie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Ladies and gentleman I realise there is a huge following, I myself am a huge fan of the book and the Rankin & Bass cartoon version from so long ago. I must confess it is indeed a difficult task awaiting the movie adaption to be made, so therefore I am starting this topic in anticipation of the eventual movies release.

feel free to comment and share your feelings upon this most important of matters...the fate of middle earth hangs in the balance...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
...feel free to comment and share your feelings....

Right. Thanks for your permission.

I didn't see Lord of the Rings, and I certainly won't see The Hobbit. To me, these are artistic literary experiences. Turning them into movies is to me a very strange idea. What's next? A movie of the Mona Lisa? Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon? Andy Warhol's Marilyn prints? Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water?

For some reason, books seem fair game to turn into movies. Literature gets no respect.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Quote:
What's next? A movie of the Mona Lisa?

Yeah, and it'll be a crappy remake that won't be a patch on the original Italian version.

Better to add subtitles to the original if you ask me.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
In terms of the artistic interpretation of The Hobbit, the apotheosis has already been attained.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 07:59, Nosher wrote:
In terms of the artistic interpretation of The Hobbit, the apotheosis has already been attained.

You might have stumbled onto another top 10 thread...
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I don't know, I really enjoyed the Lord of The Rings movies but not sure about The Hobbit. I kind of have a ho-hum attitude but will probably see it.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear stoneunhinged,

I think film adaptations often lead to people reading the books. It has for me in numerous cases. I really love "A Christmas Carol" but what got me to read it was a Mr. Magoo Cartoon. I read "Tom Sawyer" because of a Gold Key Comic and I also read "The Hobbit" because of the Leonard Nimoy song (I own the album). (I wish I had a fake avatar name now!)

"Ode to a Grecian Urn" is inspired by the Urn. It may help to think of Movies as another work of art inspired by the books and not as a poor copy.

Almost every time I prefer the book but I do enjoy Movies. The scenery and special effects, the music, the framing and most especially the acting, which is generally better than my imagination. It IS better for me if I can read the book first so I get first crack at envisioning the characters. Fortunately I was able to enjoy "A Christmas Carol" sans Magoo.

I will admit I've seen a few Movie adaptations that almost ruined books I loved retroactively. If only we could un-watch.

- Mary Mowder
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 07:59, Nosher wrote:

Extended, uncut, version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPh12Q7cpeE
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I read Les Misérables because of the musical. That, too, is an artistic depiction. Having seen many film adaptations, I can certainly appreciate the sentiment about it being an artistic experience; no adaptation has been able to fully gauge the depth of the characters. The turmoil and inner struggle of Valjean took up 15 pages in the translation I read. Boubil and Schoënberg made it into a three minute song.

Granted, Les Misérables numbers in the thousands of pages, as does the Lord of the Rings...it would be foolish to attempt to recreate the whole experience. The aforementioned A Chrstmas Carol is around 97 pages, if memory serves...most of those film versions translated well...specifically the George C Scott and Patrick Stewart versions. Perhaps length is a deciding factor.

The Hobbit, I feel, will translate well to the big screen, LOTR was very well done. Either way, if it's any better than the awful adaptation of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I'll consider it a victory.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I hope they do a good job. A story whose climax is "What do I have in my pocket" seems just too ripe for easy parody these days.

Then again "At the Mountains of Madness" could easily be done as a native expedition from South America visiting Manhattan and wandering into a subway station.

Here's hoping for the best. And some better handling of the big/small shots so the characters seem the right size in context.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The Hitchhiker's Guide movie had it's moments... It was visually stunning, and it had some new plot elements that were very excellent.

Can't wait for Mountains of Madness (if it happens...) or, for that matter, the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society's adaptation of "The Whisperer in Darkness" which should be out late this year...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 04:13, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
...feel free to comment and share your feelings....

Right. Thanks for your permission.

Oh you're so polite! Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 04:13, stoneunhinged wrote:
What's next? ... Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon?

This would have been much funnier if you'd used "The Wall" as your example.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 16:03, Mary Mowder wrote:
Dear stoneunhinged,

"Ode to a Grecian Urn" is inspired by the Urn.

*"on*

Sorry, but if I don't, someone else will. I don't know why the heck it's not "to," but that Keats dude was pretty good; he probably had a reason.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Oh dear... if you are a fan of the Rankin and bass cartoon with singing trolls then ONE of us will be disappointed...

I read the book in Junior Highschool. Its a nice little fantasy story, certainly not of the same literary scope and importance as LOTR... and also a lot more accessible. I expect a lot of todays kids will have the same reaction to it though that a 29 yr old friend of mine had to Casablanca.

"I found all the cliches distracting..."

Of course its the original SOURCE of what imitators turned into cliches. In some senses The Hobbit suffers from a similar problem.

is Andy Circus playing Gollum again? That might be enough to get me to go...
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
The Hitchhikers movie wasn't, strictly speaking, a pure literary adaption. The radio show came before the book, then there was the miniseries, the computer games, the stage shows, and so on...
And I thought they were all brilliant.
I am looking forward to the Hobbit. Have wanted them to do it since the other movies came out since it was my favorite book and cartoon of the series.
And why not do a movie of Dark Side of the Moon? They did The Wall didn't they?
Just saying.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yup lobowolfXXX, you're right,

You'd think a gal with highbrow tastes like mine would remember that.

- Mary Mowder
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2010-09-05 22:07, critter wrote:
The Hitchhikers movie wasn't, strictly speaking, a pure literary adaption. The radio show came before the book, then there was the miniseries, the computer games, the stage shows, and so on...
And I thought they were all brilliant.
I am looking forward to the Hobbit. Have wanted them to do it since the other movies came out since it was my favorite book and cartoon of the series.
And why not do a movie of Dark Side of the Moon? They did The Wall didn't they?
Just saying.

Oh, I'm well aware of that...I have the original BBC radio and television broadcasts and enjoy them...I'm also aware that each version was meant to stand on its own. I just felt that the new subplot was uninteresting and while the bureaucratic sequences with the Vogons added some comedic effect, I felt it was too much, and it took too long for them to reach Magrathea. The visuals there, however, were stunning as Gaddy pointed out and it was funny when Marvin used the POV gun. I understand that the script was rewritten after Mr. Adams sadly passed on...I can't help but wonder what changes were made.

For me, however, the book is still king. (But that's really the theme of the thread, isn't it?)
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Jeff gets a prize for even mentioning Dark Side Of The Moon in with such other great works of art. The Wall was more of a concept album, the concept being that Waters is an a**.

I am reading, and greatly enjoying, "The count of monte cristo". I watched the Guy Ritchie/Jim Caviezile (Sp) version the other night-only because it was on instant netflix. As usual, it butchered the book. There are very few book that turned into good movies, either because the film stayed true to the book, or the director took on his/her own vision.

IMO:

The godfather
Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
The right stuff
The shinning (here, the movie might be better)
Catch-22
American physco

Adams named "The division bell", another Pink Floyd album. Pink Floyd was a financier of some of the Monty Python Films. And Adams worked with Python.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I thought the HHG movie was an excellent pass at an intractable problem. There is WAY too much material to fit in a movie. Its really much more appropriate to a miniseries.

Considering that I thought they did an admirable job of hitting high-points.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Hobbit Movie (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL