The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Mite removal ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
It seems my doves now have mites. What is the best way to get rid of them? This is the first time I have ever noticed them, so it's a new problem for me.
Thanks,
David
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
David, first the doves must be removed from their cage. Wash the cage down thoroughly with hot water and bleach and rinse. Next, there are several products on the market for this and available in most pet shops. One is called Scalex. Some are powders and other are liquid sprays. I personally like the powders.

They are for treating mites and lice. Spread the powder over the entire dove paying particular attention under the wings and tail but be careful not to get it in their eyes. You'll have to ruffle the feathers while doing this to ensure the powder gets down to the skin. You may have to treat them several times but it will kill the mites. After treatment, you can return them to the cleaned cage.

If you can't get to a pet shop for the powder, grocery stores carry products for cats that are also for mice. Under no circumstances use the powder for dogs. It must be the variety for cats.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sevin may also be a lot of help.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
I don't know if this would help you or not but what I do is first wash the cage in HOT water then put in one of those mite thingy's that you can buy in the store! I know they smell nasty but it has helped all my birds! they just attach on the outside of cage.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Definately clean the cage but use more than just hot water. Bleach kills all the insects.

To entirely rid the dove of mites, you must treat it with mite and lice powder as I mentioned above. They must be treated under the wings and tail area.

Those smelly thingy's are called cage protector and are a preventative not a cure. Using them after an infection is like a human apply sun block after they get a sunburn.
Where the magic begins
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
That's what I meant as a preventative measure! when I wrote the msg it was hectic here with birthdays and being thanksgiving I lost train of thought! but they do work! I got one on each of my cages! to me they smell like moth balls! I do hope you get the situation cleared up and all turns out well!!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Mite removal ??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL