The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Industry Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Not sure where to post this so I thought I'd try this forum. I'm thinking of writing an article of general interest about the magic industry. Would like to know if there are any statistics out there regarding the industry as total annual revenues both from the performer's perspective, from the dealers' perspective, from the advertising perspective, and other stats on just about anything related to the business of magic. Does anyone have any thoughts on where this type of information might be available? My article would cover many of the subsets of magic discussed here in the Café and would relate to the world wide business of magic. It would be written as a feature article for a newspaper. Appreciate your input. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bob
The information that you are looking for is a very personal matter to independent business men, and finding out such closely guarded secrets will be quite a clallange for you.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Al, I understand your position and I'm not seeking to delve into personal matters. But usually in other industries there are business statistics, such as estmates on revenues based on various models, including demographics, per capita "consumption" of the product, and the like. I'm not seeking to expose anyone's personal data, but rather to illustrate the impact magic has on a small business level, corporate level (as in manufacturers of effects, dealer sales, and other pertinent business and economic data). My goal would be to discuss magic as an industry and as an entertainment medium, along with it's value as a hobbby or a business. It would be more of a "puff piece", promoting interest in magic, discussing business, entertainment, trials and tribulations of the working magician and the hard work that goes into it all, among many of its other facets. Perhaps that data isn't available. If you read The Wall Street Journal and are familiar with the type of stories usually run at the bottom of page one, you might have a better idea of what type of story I'm thinking about. Typically it's business oriented with a lighter touch. Thanks for your reply. Best, Bob

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I would image that would vary quite a bit since there are magicians that donate their time to hospitals and some magicians like Copperfield that own their own island. Also I would guess that a lot of entertainers get quite of bit of cash payments. I bet Joel Bauer or any other magician selling marketing plans for magicians could give you an earfull on this topic.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Bob,
I can't imagine any successful working professional who would part with the sort of information that you describe. It just isn't anyone's business except the individual and his spouse and/or partner.

I have a number of close friends with whom I share techniques and we honestly discuss the business aspects of magic, but sharing that information with a stranger? Not a chance.

And anyone who would supply figures, well, unless you looked at their books you'd have no way of knowing if they were pulling your leg or telling you the truth.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Bob,

the reason the stats are around for other industries is because many of them also look for venture capitalists, loans, and so on...

due to this industry not being publicly trades and needing massive amounts of finance capital the information isn't compiled and available..

but yes it is EASILY found for most industries.
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bob
It is not just the performers that don't want to talk, it is everybody in magic that doesn't EVER tell the truth. Some guys brag about making 6 figures that only make 5 figures. Some dealers at a convention will sell stuff from their tables all day long for cash, and only say that "it has been am ok day". I had a member of the magic Café tell me that when he lectures if he doesn't make at least $2,000 in BOR sales he has had a bad day, so there is literally no one in magic that will EVER tell you the truth. Perhaps there are IRS agents posting here.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks all for your input. It's all good advice. I guess I'll just let sleeping dogs lie. I just think a good story in a good publication would serve the industry well. Guess some things are left better unsaid. Thanks again! Best, bob

Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I think that would be a great publication and I appreciate the effort and idea. I would love to learn and benefit from it myself. The challenge is certainly to find the information.

Perhaps, rather than a large survey, you could interview a few select entertainers to tell their story. Each would represent a different section of the industry. For example, you interview a part-time entertainer, a full-time touring illusionist, a birthday party magician, a corporate speaker, etc.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Therein lies the problem in my question. I guess I'm not conveying it well. I don't wish to discuss personal business, or conduct any surveys, but rather to discuss the industry in general, in a macro sense. It would also be nice to profile someone, as in, "a day in the life of so and so, a working magician," but as a subset to the piece. Thanks for your input. best, bob

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Industry Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL