The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Batman vs. Alien and Predador (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Impressive!!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
I didn't watch it yet but is it the Dead End video, if so yes it is very cool indeed!

I'm the Batman!!!!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yeah, it's Batman:Dead End.

Sad bit of tidbit info, the guy who plays the Joker, ever so briefly, in this video was the recently passed on Andrew Koenig, also known as Boner from Family Ties, as well as the son of Walter Koenig, who played Pavel Andreievich Chekov in the original Star Trek.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yes, impressive... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
The Joker was the best part.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Very nice cinematography, though a little of the Ridley-Scott style shadows in shadows goes a long way (I like Ridley Scott btw. But he knows you need to let some light in too fairly often or it just becomes a dark mess.)

I agree good acting on the part of the Joker. Good choreography on the part of everyone else.

great props and costumes. Was that a alien costume or an alien CG? Ether way it was impressive work.

Now the knocks...

(1) The editing/post was so-so. It was good in the fast-cut fight sequences but I am getting REALLY sick of people using fade-to-black transitions because they don't know how to get from the current shot to the next. Its most obvious in the establishing shots.

(2) The whole idea is ludicrous. As we Champions geeks would say, this was two 150 pt characters (bats and the joker) in a fight with two 300 pt characters (the predator and alien). Event with the Predator killing the Alien, there is just no way bats wins.

(3) The joker's lines showed some literacy in the genre and actual plot development (how many kids know that the Joker was the Red Hood til bats made him swim through toxic waste to escape?) But its rather pointless as the rest of the thing seems to have nothing to do with that.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
The director of that fan video - and another one called 'World's Finest' -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmqc4RhSQY

has his first full length movie out: Hunter Prey.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270291/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
OOOO, OOOO, OOOO, I KNEW THE RED HOOD TRIVIA BIT!

Comics nerd...

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Oh yeah and Batman does win... He signals for the Batmobile and then all hell breaks loose.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-05 23:55, Dreadnought wrote:
Oh yeah and Batman does win... He signals for the Batmobile and then all hell breaks loose.

Peace and Godspeed.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with dreadnought here, Batman would definitely win. The man is prepared for everything.

Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Definitely win. Worse case scenario, he would activate the Justice League distress beacon and within seconds, Green Lantern (Who has probably dealt with them before), Superman, Flash and Wonder Woman would descend into the fray and just open a six pack of whoop ***!

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I dunno. With Ace the Bat-Hound at his side, Batman would probably win. But Ace has not been seen for many years.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-09-05 22:18, Cyberqat wrote:
Very nice cinematography, though a little of the Ridley-Scott style shadows in shadows goes a long way (I like Ridley Scott btw. But he knows you need to let some light in too fairly often or it just becomes a dark mess.)

I agree good acting on the part of the Joker. Good choreography on the part of everyone else.

great props and costumes. Was that a alien costume or an alien CG? Ether way it was impressive work.

Now the knocks...

(1) The editing/post was so-so. It was good in the fast-cut fight sequences but I am getting REALLY sick of people using fade-to-black transitions because they don't know how to get from the current shot to the next. Its most obvious in the establishing shots.

(2) The whole idea is ludicrous. As we Champions geeks would say, this was two 150 pt characters (bats and the joker) in a fight with two 300 pt characters (the predator and alien). Event with the Predator killing the Alien, there is just no way bats wins.

(3) The joker's lines showed some literacy in the genre and actual plot development (how many kids know that the Joker was the Red Hood til bats made him swim through toxic waste to escape?) But its rather pointless as the rest of the thing seems to have nothing to do with that.

There is a Batman vs. Predator comic out there. It takes him everything he's got, but Bats does win. (The ending is very similar to Predator 2 with the "honor guard" coming to take the Predator away.)

It even got a sequel where the Predator planet puts Earth off-limits and a rogue Predator decides he has to prove he's better than the "warrior" that killed the last Predator to go to Earth. The Predator command sends another Predator to get him back and now Bats has to deal with TWO Predator's running around Gotham.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Oh sure. If you bring Superman in its end game. SUupes is about a 1,000 point champions character.

But not Batman by himself. hes just a well trained man in a suit with a martyr complex. Both the Predator and the Alien are products of weapon technology far in advance of anything he has available.

Basically, Bats v. predator should play out the same way "Indiana Jones v. Whip Guy" played out... and bats is the guy with the whip. All the skill in the world doesn't beat a shoulder mounted auto-tracking particle beam weapon.

And the Alien is SUCH a perfect (biologically engineered? many think so. There are hints to that effect in the first movie) predator that it CAN compete with very advanced future weaponry, so Batman is a no-challenge.

AND I can't believe Im geeky enough to be having this conversation Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You're not geeky enough.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http......0Q9QEwAQ

I remember one of the Justice League stories where the villain disses Batman saying; "You're no match for me. You don't even have super-powers." And Batman replies; "I have one power. I NEVER give up!"
The movie trailers? I hate them because if they're done well, they make me want to see the movie! And of course, I can't because it doesn't exist! (I think DC Comics has said they'll take legal action against any convention committee that runs fan-made trailers featuring their characters. I don't know how that's worked out, I don't go to enough conventions to say.
Ace the Bat-hound! OMG. The whole 50's "Batman Family" thing with Bat-woman, Bat-girl (not Barbara Gordon) Bat-mite and Bat-hound.

Ace has been paid homage to in the series "Batman Beyond." 80-something year old Bruce Wayne has a mastiff named Ace who doesn't like Terry (the new Batman) for the first few episodes. A punch line from the series is used in the movie "Batman Beyond-Return of the Joker" where Batman and Ace take out a gene-splice hyena man. As he drops, Batman says to Ace; "Good Bat-dog."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
There is a Batman vs. Predator comic out there. It takes him everything he's got, but Bats does win.

Naw, it only took two things.... a writer who wanted him to win to bend reality enough to make it happen, and a reading public willing to suspend disbelief that such a thing is plausible Smile

This is why I use Champions rules to make this argument.. it has rules. Writers have none.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 10:53, Cyberqat wrote:
Oh sure. If you bring Superman in its end game. SUupes is about a 1,000 point champions character.

But not Batman by himself. hes just a well trained man in a suit with a martyr complex. Both the Predator and the Alien are products of weapon technology far in advance of anything he has available.

Basically, Bats v. predator should play out the same way "Indiana Jones v. Whip Guy" played out... and bats is the guy with the whip. All the skill in the world doesn't beat a shoulder mounted auto-tracking particle beam weapon.

And the Alien is SUCH a perfect (biologically engineered? many think so. There are hints to that effect in the first movie) predator that it CAN compete with very advanced future weaponry, so Batman is a no-challenge.

AND I can't believe Im geeky enough to be having this conversation Smile

I disagree, as Batman is always prepared to take on Superman, and was even before he had his first encounter with Superman. Though he certainly CAN call on him and others, he would not need too. However, he does make use of them just like any other tool, BUT, he also would have countless backups that would not rely on them.

Like I liketo say, Superman may be the boyscout, but Batman is always prepared.]

Quote:
On 2010-09-07 11:20, Cyberqat wrote:
Quote:
There is a Batman vs. Predator comic out there. It takes him everything he's got, but Bats does win.

Naw, it only took two things.... a writer who wanted him to win to bend reality enough to make it happen, and a reading public willing to suspend disbelief that such a thing is plausible Smile

This is why I use Champions rules to make this argument.. it has rules. Writers have none.

Well, considering we ARE dealing with fiction, created by writers, you have a weak argument. However, even in fiction, there should be rules that are followed, that is, the rule established within the fictional world. Obviously, Batman can't just call upon the X-Men to help him, but it is established that he is prepared for pretty much every possible situation.

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Let us all bask in all our glorious geekiness!

Myself included! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 11:20, Cyberqat wrote:
Quote:

Arnold's character was able to beat the Predator. Batman could certainly do the same.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Batman vs. Alien and Predador (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL