The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » One of the best ways to keep peace is to be prepared for war. - General George Washington (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
So let me get this right. Peace, and I would really love to hear the definitions for that word, can only be achieved through:

1. Force
2. Perceived ability to execute force
3. Destrution of another
4. The threat of destruction to another

Am I the only one to see how paradoxical that sounds. And yet, history shows time and again this doesn't work.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 14:57, Josh Chaikin wrote:
The arms race tactic did work, or expedite things...Reagan was certainly some sort of catalyst there. Preparing for war with Russia prevented war with Russia.

And how did that work for Afghanistan?

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 16:21, Dreadnought wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 14:57, Josh Chaikin wrote:
The arms race tactic did work, or expedite things...Reagan was certainly some sort of catalyst there. Preparing for war with Russia prevented war with Russia.

And how did that work for Afghanistan?

Peace and Godspeed.

Yes...well...times change and so do allies. There is no simple answer to the question posed here. I'm neither philosopher, historian nor military strategist. For every argument, there's a counterargument. And for every example there's one to counter that too.

The question is old and so are the arguments and scenarios, all that changes are the players. Is it an important discussion to have? Absolutely, and I can see both sides of the issue. I just don't expect us to find any greater truth here. I'm going to step out of this discussion before things become too heated.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 16:18, Dreadnought wrote:
So let me get this right. Peace, and I would really love to hear the definitions for that word, can only be achieved through:

1. Force
2. Perceived ability to execute force
3. Destrution of another
4. The threat of destruction to another

Am I the only one to see how paradoxical that sounds. And yet, history shows time and again this doesn't work.

Peace and Godspeed.

What Dreadnought said.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3198 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Meh, whatever... You all seem pretty content waiting for your self-fulfilling prophesy of nuclear armageddon, so have at it.

Hopefully, Tommy's " hidden secret masters" will complete their Great Work and achieve their goals before you hairless apes turn this beautiful gem of a world to radioactive cinders and ash.

Enjoy the short time you have left.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dreadnaught, are you refering to the Russian invasion of Afghanistan? If so I'm not sure I get your point on this one.

In the bad ol' days we would 'show the flag' in areas the Soviets operated in and do all kinds of training people. Then the Soviets would show their flag and train people....then the Brits, then the French, it was interesting.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Yup, CCCP vs Afghanistan.

My point was that if the arms's race b/w the U.S and the Soviets was the key to keeping peace then that peace did not extend to Afghanistan or to other places of conflict during that time. Therefore, the "peace" only existed between the United States and the former Soviet Union. In fact, my argument would be that peace didn't exist as it was just no overt exchange of violence between the two.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3198 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 19:11, Dreadnought wrote:
Yup, CCCP vs Afghanistan.

My point was that if the arms's race b/w the U.S and the Soviets was the key to keeping peace then that peace did not extend to Afghanistan or to other places of conflict during that time. Therefore, the "peace" only existed between the United States and the former Soviet Union. In fact, my argument would be that peace didn't exist as it was just no overt exchange of violence between the two.

Peace and Godspeed.
So true. In fact I'm not sure there has been a moment in the past 70 years + that the US has not ben engaged in warfare on some level, somewhere in the world.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
So true. My degree is in History with an MA in Archaeology. I had a professor who once said that it is generally agreed in academic circles that in the entire history of the world, from the point where man first climbed out of the trees and started walking upright, there has only been approximately 200 years of total peace, five minutes here, thirty seconds there etc...

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That was one of our proxy wars.....
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Yup.
Peace

Scott

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3198 Posts

Profile of gaddy
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:

Wow, that's kinda funny, and terrible. Is this true?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3198 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 12:24, gdw wrote:

Wow, that's kinda funny, and terrible. Is this true?

Apparently it's true, although I wasn't there...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Come on now....hats were different back then.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Does anyone here really believe that the world would be a safer and maore peaceful place if the "United States of America" disbanded its Armed Forces and its weapons arsenal? When answering this question do not add your, "if the U.S. did not do this or that yada, yada, yada".
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Absolutely not.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 18:38, acesover wrote:
Does anyone here really believe that the world would be a safer and maore peaceful place if the "United States of America" disbanded its Armed Forces and its weapons arsenal? When answering this question do not add your, "if the U.S. did not do this or that yada, yada, yada".

How about if the united states just disbanded . . .

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
GDW, congrats, you have official made every leftest seem a bit more to the right.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
That's not leftist... that's Texan Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » One of the best ways to keep peace is to be prepared for war. - General George Washington (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL